Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Paris attacks  (Read 43475 times)

Eugen-Florin

• Eugen-Florin Zamfirescu
Paris attacks
« on: November 14, 2015, 12:57:02 am »

The images from Paris are speaking so powerful about the world today. Is there a way to stop all the madness? Is there hope?

stamper

Re: Paris attacks
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 04:08:12 am »

What has this got to do with art?

brianrybolt

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 05:13:06 am »

The images from Paris are speaking so powerful about the world today. Is there a way to stop all the madness? Is there hope?
This should probably be in "Coffee Corner".
My heart goes out to the people of Paris, where I travel to frequently.
Brian

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 09:06:54 am »

Hi.

I think we all have a bit of our hearts and minds in Paris, right now.

Photography has always played an important part in telling the story. It may not be art, but is a part of past, present and future photography.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

AlterEgo

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 09:40:42 am »

but of course - stop undermining the status quo or face the payday...

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 09:41:37 am »

Is there hope?

No. Not as long as the feckless West continues to pussyfoot around the I word. The President of the USA cannot even get himself to utter it. Hopefully President Trump will.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 10:03:14 am »

Taken from  "Little Bird" on tumblr, but I've seen it in a few places:

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 10:46:34 am »

Stop crying and stop praying. Do something. Wipe them off the face of the Earth.

Michael West

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 10:51:21 am »

Stop crying and stop praying. Do something. Wipe them off the face of the Earth.

2 words...Crusades Redux!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 11:02:22 am »

No. Not as long as the feckless West continues to pussyfoot around the I word. The President of the USA cannot even get himself to utter it. Hopefully President Trump will.

Our dear leader once again "declined to speculate on who was responsible for the attacks." Apparently, he was struggling with acronyms. He tried RNC, but was told not likely. How about NRA? Nope. Aids were desperately showing four fingers, as in "four-letter acronym", but he was like "Nah... junior varsity team couldn't do that. But since they were definitely some people with guns, we must ban guns, totally and immediately, so that such an attack could never happen again."

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 11:05:08 am »

Hi Slobodan,

I can share your feelings, but I don't think it helps. These networks are hard to attack, and each successful attack just creates a lot of new followers. I think that these networks need to be deprived of support. We need a planet that disapproves terrorism, regardless if it is left, right, Christian, Moslem, friend or foe. Without fundings they will crumble.

Fact is that US citizens did support terrorists in Britain, namely IRA. Once US (non government) support was stopped, IRA went into drug trafficking to support it's operations but they finally entered peace talks with Britain. Hopefully that issue is solved.

I do believe in firm and decisive action, but it needs to be firm and decisive. I don't see that happen and I am not sure we have the resources to do that, at least not if we respect our humanitarian values.

What I think to need is to deprive those organisations of all financial support. Zero tolerance for terrorists. No country on the planet should offer a free heaven or support for terrorist, or face real consequences.

My thoughts on that issue…
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 11:18:46 am »

... We need a planet that...

And how do we create such an ideal world? We've had several millennia of attempts and yet... In the meantime, how about stopping fighting those who fight them? Stopping toppling regimes who kept peace within their borders, however imperfect such regimes might have been? Stopping premature withdrawals from regimes we destabilized and leaving power vacuum for them to fill? And how about going back in and finish what we started?

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 11:23:36 am »

France has been prosecuting a war in the middle east, that war has returned to Paris.

War is not a video game.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 11:30:58 am »

Hi,

I don't know. But many of the major states are facing terrorism. US, EU, Russia, Saudi Arabia,India, Iraq, Turkey, Egypt and many others face the same threat, essentially. Is it not feasible to join efforts?

Best regards
Erik

And how do we create such an ideal world? We've had several millennia of attempts and yet... In the meantime, how about stopping fighting those who fight them? Stopping toppling regimes who kept peace within their borders, however imperfect such regimes might have been? Stopping premature withdrawals from regimes we destabilized and leaving power vacuum for them to fill? And how about going back in and finish what we started?
Erik Kaffehr

AlterEgo

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 11:32:33 am »

Stopping premature withdrawals from regimes we destabilized
stop destabilizing in the first place...

AlterEgo

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2015, 11:33:35 am »

Saudi Arabia
this is funny when you list the bloody dictatorship like SA here... you missed Qatar and others though.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 11:33:58 am »

If IS would be tolerant for less radical muslims and christians in the area and would not destroy cultural heritage sites there would be no war on IS.
Unfortunately they are not behaving that way and get attacked, so they strike back with heartbreaking actions like this one in Paris.
This has nothing to do with faith or religion, but just with power hungry war lords, but if they continue this way my belief is they will be destroyed.
pieter, aka pegelli

landscapephoto

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2015, 11:40:35 am »

Wipe whom off the face of the earth? The suicide bombers? They did that themselves. The place where they came from? It seems that they came from the outskirts of Paris. Muslims? First, there are probably 100s of millions of muslims who disapprove of the attacks and, second, we already tried to wipe off a religion in Europe about 70 years ago and found it not to be quite compatible with our democratic values, so we don't do that any more.

Or do you mean we should wipe off that pseudostate religious creation between Syria, Turkey and Irak? It seems that we are already bombing them, but it also seems that is just what is motivating some light headed people within our borders to retaliate. And I don't think we can hit them much harder than we are doing now.

The situation is probably a little bit more complex than you think. Did you notice the price of oil lately?  ::)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2015, 11:46:06 am »

stop destabilizing in the first place...

Which is what I said in the sentence preceding the one you quoted.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2015, 11:48:54 am »

Wipe whom off...

Cute.

But no, most reasonable readers would understand that I clearly had in mind ISIS. And no, bombing is not the best or only thing we could do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up