I think any discussion of "knowledgable audiences" just comes back to the same thing: there are many forms of knowledge. One person might have a detailed knowledge of the history and theory of painting from the beginning of the 19th century, another might have diligently followed the evolution of what I'll call academic art photography, and a third might be superb technician with extensive experience in landscape photography.
I suspect each of these three hypothetical persons may have very different reponses to a given photograph, and would give different, probably contradictory appraisals of its worth. Yet it wouldn't be resonable to attribute the discord to ignorance. It's possible that a poll of people who saw the photos exhibited at a cultural centre would contradict all three of the "expert" opinions, and be different again to a poll taken of those who saw the same photos exhibited in a commercial gallery or a different city.
If you want to improve your work, I'd suggest you pay attention to those whose own work you admire, even if it is very different to your own. If you want to sell, you would want to know the opinion of the people who are prone to buying... and that's the theory of marketing, a whole other world.