Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GPS system for D800  (Read 4092 times)

Wawe

• Tommi Aarnio Photography
GPS system for D800
« on: November 03, 2015, 03:51:36 am »

I’m looking for a GPS system for my D800 to geo tag all of my photos on the go. I have previously never geo tagged any of my shots so I have zero experience in all of this.

What is required of the product is simply the ability to record location data on the files themselves. Not making the workflow any more tedious is of high importance to me, so, for example the mobile phone GPS apps would not be my first choice (they will also likely be out of the question as I’m currently using neither Android nor iOS).

As for the typical use, I mainly need geo tagging in my travels since, when driving, I might stop by the road to take a picture every now and then and after the trip have found it impossible to remember where exactly the photos are taken.

The product I’m looking for would ideally perform well both outdoors and inside buildings. Occasionally I do some urban exploration so the ability to geo tag photos taken indoors would be nice.

Based on my quick research on the topic I understood that there are a lot of alternative products on the market. I don’t mind attaching the GPS unit to the hot shoe since I very rarely use flash on the trips anyways. However, I don’t want the GPS unit to prevent me from using a remote shutter release.

The budget for the purchase will be something like $500 at most, but from what I've read the typical products aren't that expensive.

So what would be your recommendations for my needs? Also, if there are any good reviews on the alternative products on the market, I’d appreciate links to these.

Thanks in advance!

Chuck Fan

Re: GPS system for D800
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 11:49:24 am »

GPS requires uninterrupted radio link to at least 3 GPS satellites.  So no GPS receiver can be guaranteed to work in doors.   It depends on where the building is and what it is made of, and what else might be blocking radio signals from the satellites.

Nikon GP-1 and GP-1A will work with D800.  You mount it on the hot shoe, and plug a connected cable into the camera's 10 pin remote port.   The location data will be encoded into the image file's EXIF data.  You can connect a 2 pin remote control directly into the GPS unit so you can continue to use wire remote control even though the 10 pin remote socket is occupied. 

AFairley

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 12:10:03 pm »

A smaller and cheaper solution than the Nikon unit would be the Dawntech GPS.  http://di-gps.com/shop/di-GPS-Eco-ProFessional-M-PF1-M  I have been using it on my D800E for several years and it locks fast, has good accuracy in urban environments, and has low battery drain.  I recommend it highly.  Here's someone's review: http://www.throughthefmount.com/articles_rev_di-gps.html. You can order from Dawntech and they will ship to U.S. or Europe.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 01:22:20 am by AFairley »

Chuck Fan

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 02:34:53 pm »

A smaller and cheaper solution than the Nikon unit would be the Dawntech GPS.  http://di-gps.com/shop/di-GPS-Eco-ProFessional-M-PF1-M  I have been using it for several years and it locks fast, has good accuracy in urban environments, and has low battery drain.  I recommend it highly.  Here's someone's review: http://www.throughthefmount.com/articles_rev_di-gps.html. You can order from Dawntech and they will ship to U.S. or Europe.

The dawntech GPS unit only works with Nikon's 10pin remote port.  This limits its use to top end Nikon bodies.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 03:49:12 pm »

A smaller and cheaper solution than the Nikon unit would be the Dawntech GPS.

I've been using one of these on my D800E for just under two years now—I leave it attached to the camera almost all the time—and also am very pleased with it.  Unlike the Nikon GPS, there's no cord to get in your way: the Dawn unit screws directly into the 10-pin connector.  If you have a satellite lock when you enter a building, it will continue to tag your images with the last known position when the signal is lost.

One very minor complaint: the GPS unit sticks out just enough from the body of the camera that some lenses have a tendency to rub against the rubber cover for the built-in connector extension.  (See attached image.)  Not harmful, just annoying.

Anonymous Dave

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 11:50:19 pm »

I've been using an Aokatec AK-G1S on my D800e for about a year now with no problems. The initial lock takes a minute or so, but once it's locked on, it holds the signal well. I use it in the forest all the time, and it's been very reliable.

http://www.aokatec.com/AK-G.html
http://www.amazon.com/AK-G1S-Aokatec-Geotagging-receiver-Fujifilm/dp/B009MB2YOI

pluton

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 12:28:16 am »

I've been using an Aokatec AK-G1S on my D800e for about a year now with no problems. The initial lock takes a minute or so, but once it's locked on, it holds the signal well. I use it in the forest all the time, and it's been very reliable.

http://www.aokatec.com/AK-G.htma
http://www.amazon.com/AK-G1S-Aokatec-Geotagging-receiver-Fujifilm/dp/B009MB2YOI
X2 on the Aokatec.  Least expensive I could find.  No cables.  Noticeable but moderate battery draw. 

AFairley

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 01:21:42 am »

I had the Aokatec before I got the Dawntech, and the Dawntech has much lower battery draw and obtains lock faster.  IMO the Dawntech is worth the extra money, though the Aokatec will get the job done.

NickCroken

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 05:55:27 pm »

I use my gps watch and then link the metadata up afterwards.  It's not on the files out of the camera but it works extremely well and the gps is very accurate.  This link does a great job of explaining how it works Using a gps track to tag photos

Wawe

• Tommi Aarnio Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 09:48:56 am »

Thanks everyone!

After doing some more research and asking around, I think I'll get the Dawntech unit.

I noticed that they are also selling this Eco ProSumer M model, which would seem to be suitable for the D5200. My girlfriend has this camera body and I thought I could buy one for her as well as a gift. However, I couldn't find nearly as much information on the ProSumer M model as I did on the one for the D800. So has anyone got experience with the prosumer model or should I just trust that it is as well built as is the higher end one? At least based on the price difference this would seem like a valid assumption.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 11:29:53 am »

There are apps out there that will allow you to link the GPS position of your cell phone with respect to time and each of your images with respect to time as long as the cell phone and camera have their times synced. 

Might be a cheaper option if you already have and carry a GPS enabled cell phone.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 11:45:23 am »

There are apps out there that will allow you to link the GPS position of your cell phone with respect to time and each of your images with respect to time as long as the cell phone and camera have their times synced. 

Might be a cheaper option if you already have and carry a GPS enabled cell phone.

I looked into this approach before acquiring my first camera-attached GPS unit.  My understanding was that there were a couple of disadvantages to using a cellphone:

• If your phone loses cellular network connectivity (e.g., if you are in a remote location), it may take a long time for it to achieve a GPS satellite lock.
  • While the accuracy of the assisted-GPS technology used by cellphones is pretty good, a standalone GPS receiver will typically be more accurate.

And, of course, there's the convenience factor of having the geotags already embedded in the image files when they are emitted by the camera.

pluton

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 02:57:57 am »

I looked into this approach before acquiring my first camera-attached GPS unit.  My understanding was that there were a couple of disadvantages to using a cellphone:

• If your phone loses cellular network connectivity (e.g., if you are in a remote location), it may take a long time for it to achieve a GPS satellite lock.
  • While the accuracy of the assisted-GPS technology used by cellphones is pretty good, a standalone GPS receiver will typically be more accurate.

And, of course, there's the convenience factor of having the geotags already embedded in the image files when they are emitted by the camera.

I have used the iOS app Geotag Photos for a 1 hour test walk around the local area.  Worked perfectly.  Trouble-free integration using Lightroom.
Cellular should not necessary, since the app is on continuously during the tagging period.  But, I haven't actually tried it in a cell-free area.
The biggest drawback in remote areas will probably be the usual one where cellphones are involved:  Battery life.

Tony Jay

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 03:45:41 am »

The standalone GPS in Smartphones is better than the assisted-GPs approach, however, it is not true that lock-on takes a long time with the standalone GPS in Smartphones.

Tony Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up