Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider Digitar 28 XL lens align/repair  (Read 1526 times)

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
Schneider Digitar 28 XL lens align/repair
« on: November 02, 2015, 04:52:42 pm »

Hy
I just tested a used Schneider Digitar 28 XL on my Cambo WRS and established that at infinity focus (F8) the right part of the picture is sharp while the left part is completely out of focus.
When I turn the focus wheel to 3m the left part gets sharp and the right part unsharp.
The lens looks as new and the focus ring turns smooth.

My other 5 lenses (24mm - 120 mmm) are all equally sharp on both sides with 2 different backs..........

Does anybody know if Schneider Kreuznach can fix those problems and align the lens?

Raw files for Download here:
Infinity: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dvekbd2np79mzka/Infinity_F8-01.IIQ?dl=0
3m: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypg8stxulkucfq7/3m_F8-01.IIQ?dl=0

Two screenshots (left + right side in the middle) at 100% in Capture One attached.
Thanks,
Ben
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 04:57:27 pm by ben730 »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Schneider Digitar 28 XL lens align/repair
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 08:54:04 pm »

The problem could be the lens, or the shutter, either way Schneider would be the ones to fix it, unless the actual Cambo mount has a problem.  But Cambo should check the lens first IMO.

If you have a good relationship with a dealer, they can contact Cambo, send the lens to them, and then Cambo can send it to Schneider. 

I assume this lens has a copal 0 shutter?  If so, then either way Schneider will need to repair the lens as if they have to fix an element, then they will need to re-colimate the lens.  However the 28mm has a huge outer element, i.e weight, and the weak link is the copal shutter.  The shutter can be the problem, totally and if so, the shutter will need to be replaced.  The 28XL and 32mm Rodenstock both share this weakness with the shutters due to the huge outer elements and the forward weight on the shutter.  The copal can't take that much stress over time. 

Capture Integration in Atlanta GA  has a good relationship with Cambo.   I am not sure where you are located, US or outside the US, but they might be a good place to start. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 02:52:18 am »

Hi Ben, In Switzerland you can speak to Joerg, Alex or Urs at GraphicArt and the'll be able to help you: Link

BR

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

vjbelle

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 07:49:57 am »

Does anybody know if Schneider Kreuznach can fix those problems and align the lens?

I have had my Digitar lenses with the same issue repaired by Schneider in Germany.  If you go to their site you can download a repair form and/or you can email them for guidance.  They are very good to work with. 

Victor

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 04:49:16 am »

Thanks for your informations + help.
The Lens is on the way to Cambo..........
I'll let you know if they could fix it and how long it took.......

Regards,
Ben

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 04:08:33 pm »

Hi
The lens is back and it's sharp from corner to corner now.
 :)

Regards,
Ben
Pages: [1]   Go Up