Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad Pro vs Competition Question  (Read 10776 times)

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
Re: iPad Pro vs Competition Question
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 06:53:07 pm »

As to color management, x-rite does make their ColorTRUE available for both Apple and Android.  Problem is very few software app makers have incorporated it into the tablet apps other than viewers.

I have it on both a Samsung tablet and phone.  Uses their i1 Display Pro and the battery power of the device runs the x-rite spectrometer.  Personally, I like the stock colors better on those devices (More vibrant reds and punchier colors, and less contrast that shows more shadow detail than the contrastier LCD screen.).  However, the ColorTRUE images might look better on a large monitor device as well as a printer too.

They do provide a SDK kit for the ColorTRUE app makers so maybe this will change to run within some editor's at some point. Hopefully, Google will put it in Snapseed at some point as it is my editor of choice.

SG

There are problems with this approach which is why I didn't in the end put it in my app.

The biggest problem is that it is proprietary and works only with one manufacturers devices, then there are technical and business matters.

If enough users moan to Apple maybe we will get ColorSync in iOS, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

It's interesting your perspective on the end results, I believe most users like the punch of the images on iPad and so a little accuracy may be sacrificed for a persuasive rendering.

I got my iPad pro today and I'm very impressed. This is a wonderful device for consuming and presenting photography. Time will tell if it becomes a good way of producing it as well.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

jrp

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2015, 10:23:17 am »

I had a look at the iPad Pro and agree that it's fine for looking at pics, and is fast.  But I am not sold on the form factor, although it is not as heavy as I had expected.

Unlike a regular iPad, you cannot hold it in one hand for any length of time, so you'll end up using the detachable keyboard. Trouble is, the Mac-like keyboard has no trackpad, so you end up tapping the screen. The stand is, however, not particularly strong, so the whole thing skitters around. Having 3D Touch on the IPhone but not on the iPad seems odd.

It's great for drawing things, but I would not use it for culling, tagging, annotating my pics on the go. Ingestion is glacial and syncing the results back to home base Lightroom a guddle.

For that task, the Laptop remains the simplest solution, even though it is heavier. The new Surface looks good, but seems to have the sort of glitches that don't seem so prevalent with the more expensive and heavier MacBook Pros.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2015, 01:19:41 am »

I had a look at the iPad Pro and agree that it's fine for looking at pics, and is fast.  But I am not sold on the form factor, although it is not as heavy as I had expected.

Unlike a regular iPad, you cannot hold it in one hand for any length of time, so you'll end up using the detachable keyboard. Trouble is, the Mac-like keyboard has no trackpad, so you end up tapping the screen. The stand is, however, not particularly strong, so the whole thing skitters around. Having 3D Touch on the IPhone but not on the iPad seems odd.

It's great for drawing things, but I would not use it for culling, tagging, annotating my pics on the go. Ingestion is glacial and syncing the results back to home base Lightroom a guddle.

For that task, the Laptop remains the simplest solution, even though it is heavier. The new Surface looks good, but seems to have the sort of glitches that don't seem so prevalent with the more expensive and heavier MacBook Pros.

I have a Pro too. With 4GB of RAM, and a very fast processor, it could theoretically deal with any dSLR Raw files, if software were available.

My 60 year old eyes tell me that the Pro was a good deal. I like it a lot.

As it stands, I am really happy with the Pro as it allows me to read downloaded books, web pages and PDFs without eyestrain, scan through email, and even make written annotations and idea sketches. I don't think one should hope for more.

The iPad is like the original Mac, a machine with a special purpose OS with a complex programming model and "rules" that hobble software creation. As was the case for the Mac, the special-purpose system was commercially useful initially, but is now proving a hindrance in many cases.

As an example, it has a web browser, but it is impossible to use multitasking to run an iPython background kernel properly.

If the multitasking restriction were lifted, one might run a lot of software as faceless apps with browser display and interface.

My feeling increasingly is that someone should bring out a pocket "iPad companion" Linux computer that could be programmed easily, use standard "small format" SSDs,  and do the "computer" stuff. 

Edmund
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 03:09:00 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

sjprg

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 06:50:01 pm »

Stopped by the local Apple store and had a look at the new Ipad Pro. The size is nice for a portfolio tablet, BUT, I was disappointed in the display which only had 261 PPI and seemed bland for lack of a better description. I did not pursue the matter further as my Galaxy 8.4 has a much better display. Apple as usual stops just before being "state of the art", it teases just like a woman that leads you up to the edge and than says NO.
Paul

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2015, 08:13:41 pm »

I have to add that although I own several iPads and develop software for them I personally prefer to use a Moleskine style notebook for all my lab notes and design work. Maybe I can be convinced by the iPad Pro and pencil, but I prefer more traditional tools for creative work that isn't photo processing.

Sounds like you are a good candidate for Microsoft OneNote. It's simply the most brilliant of tools for keeping notes, drawings, photos and the like. And it's accessible via iOS, OS X, Android and Windows. (And, no I don't work for or have shares in Microsoft - I just think a great tool deserves praise)
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 10:10:24 pm »

Sounds like you are a good candidate for Microsoft OneNote. It's simply the most brilliant of tools for keeping notes, drawings, photos and the like. And it's accessible via iOS, OS X, Android and Windows. (And, no I don't work for or have shares in Microsoft - I just think a great tool deserves praise)

OneNote is incredible. The problem as always is the fluidity of the surrounding system. A notebook never runs out of batteries amd never takes longer than half a second to open. Also, there is something physically engaging about the fact that words stay where they are put, and the feeling of pen in one hand and paper texture in the other.

I have had the iPad pro for a week now. As a web tool and a Pdf reader, I like it. If it had a Samsung Oled screen and full OS X it would be unbeatable.  I think the single missing piece of software is now some reinvention of Hypercard.

Btw, there is a nice trick, both Safari and DropBox  can save Pdf versions of any web page, but if you save to a local dropbox file you can then reopen with an editor like PDFExpert and annotate and scribble.

Edmund

Edmund

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up