Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap, heavy, rock steady studio tripod.  (Read 5335 times)

oompsydoompsy

Cheap, heavy, rock steady studio tripod.
« on: October 29, 2015, 01:38:55 pm »

Hi there.

I'm an amateur macro-photographer looking for a cheap studio tripod to do my shooting with.

Now, I think I have a fairly good grasp of what I need, so here are my requirements:

1. Rock steady for prolonged photo-stacking sessions.

2. Preferably wide rubber feet which will would prevent sliding or micro-gliding over a long period.

3. Preferably able to extend to a height of 60"

4. Cheap as possible. ($300 or less)

I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE WEIGHT, because I will only ever have this in my studio, so I literally don't care if it's made out of lead (although maybe coated with something to prevent lead-poisoning :D )

I think the best thing that would work, would perhaps be some sort of heavy-duty video tripod which I would adapt to using as a photography tripod.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/433303-REG/Cartoni_A627_A627_Ultra_light_2_Stg_Aluminum.html

The rubber feet on this one seem to be very wide and stable. The height extension and price are a different story though.

I highly look forward to your suggestions. :)

JeanMichel

Re: Cheap, heavy, rock steady studio tripod.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 02:09:13 pm »

Check used stores or eBay for a Majestic tripod. I used one at school, eons ago, to support a view camera. Heavy, It had geared platform, very solid. Probably well under your price. A used Manfrotto or Bogen might also fit the bill.
Jean-Michel

graeme

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 02:35:07 pm »

I've been pretty happy with my Manfrotto 028. When I open bracketed exposures as layers in PS & zoom to 300% alignment between the layers is perfect 90% of the time. So it's obviously pretty steady.

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 02:50:24 pm »

Aluminum Gitzo 504 variants (series 5 - heavy!), also the lighter 1340 should be less than $300 used.

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 04:42:09 pm »

Ebay or Craigslist are good places to find used tripods - but you have to be sure they are in the local area, as giant studio tripods don't ship well. How much variability do you need for positioning? You might be able to use a copy stand.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 05:40:18 pm »

Cheap, heavy, rock steady.

In the tripod world, quite possibly an oxymoron of at least two out of three!

;-)

Rob C

Larry Heath

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 08:41:47 pm »

I’d suggest a good used Bogen 3035. Generally pretty easy to find used at $200 or so.

shadowblade

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 10:47:38 pm »

You had the right idea when you said 'rock' steady.

What about a rock, or other similar object, with an attached tripod head? It will be steadier than any tripod, since tripods are designed with portability at least somewhat in mind.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 01:46:38 pm »

I use an old Cambo UST. For studio work there is not much better, rock solid and dirt cheap nowadays. I would have loved to get my hands on a Foba but these tend to be much more expensive.

oompsydoompsy

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 10:12:28 am »

I really appreciate all the replies!

I think I might get that Induro 8M AT-413. ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655225-REG/Induro_472_413_Alloy_8M_AT413_Tripod.html )

Recent re-evaluation of my budgetary needs have made it clear that buying a field tripod and a studio tripod will not be an option, at least not yet. Therefore I have to make a serious compromise. From what I've seen the looks pretty solid and if I ever buy an extra studio tripod, then I've got a rock solid field tripod. Price is quite awesome. The only drawback is the length and perhaps not the best weight for extended hikes... but I'm a young and fairly large guy, so I think I can take it for a couple of years till I save for something better. From what I've read and seen, it should be sturdy enough for the studio as well.

Dshelly

• Darryl Shelly Photography
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 11:14:17 am »

I've owned a Slik tripod for ten years. It's been everywhere and still looks and works like new.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10716875&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

Conner999

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 11:53:45 am »

A vote for the Manfrotto 058

oompsydoompsy

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 12:52:02 pm »

I've owned a Slik tripod for ten years. It's been everywhere and still looks and works like new.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10716875&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

Price certainly is attractive. A little low on load bearing capacity though. You vouch for its stability?

A vote for the Manfrotto 058

Outside of my price range there :P And look at them tiny feet! But yeah, weighing as much as it does I can imagine it being quite stable. Like I said I've decided on a compromise cause I don't have the money at the current moment for two separate tripods.

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 03:24:55 pm »

I'm a big fan of buying used gear and found a clean Bogen 3233 for $175. I'd suggest looking at forums like fredmiranda.com and eBay for something appropriate. Use the B&H website to verify specs and prices and go from there.

Conner999

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 08:37:35 am »

To OP - do keep an eye for used models, especially from B&H's used department.  Older, heavier, metal tripods aren't as strong sellers anymore, so they can be had cheaply used. I think I paid ~US$125 for my 058 years ago - never had an issue of any form and the push-button leg extensions are sweet.

oompsydoompsy

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 04:19:33 pm »

To OP - do keep an eye for used models, especially from B&H's used department.  Older, heavier, metal tripods aren't as strong sellers anymore, so they can be had cheaply used. I think I paid ~US$125 for my 058 years ago - never had an issue of any form and the push-button leg extensions are sweet.

I'll keep a look out for used gear. The 058 looks like quite a nice tripod. B&H has one right now for around $380. A bit steep for me.

NancyP

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 07:17:48 pm »

Bogen 3221 or Bogen/Manfrotto 055 series used tripods can be had for about 50 to 75 dollars without head. The aluminum tripod legset weighs about 5.75 pounds and is well made. I have an 055.

Dshelly

• Darryl Shelly Photography
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 10:50:19 am »

Price certainly is attractive. A little low on load bearing capacity though. You vouch for its stability?
I use this with my Pentax 645z without issue. What camera are you mounting on your tripod these days?

mediumcool

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 10:26:28 am »

A big old Gitzo. I have one which cost less than $100 after flogging the extremely-agricultural Manfrotto 029 3-way head. Lots of good head available these days, just as important as the legs.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

dvb

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 12:00:21 am »

My vote is for the Manfrotto 475.  About $350.00 new.  Very solid. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up