Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on photo  (Read 4166 times)

Stephenaweiss

Advice on photo
« on: April 04, 2006, 12:20:23 am »

I want to take a photograph of a very tall and wide tree in the middle of a large field of mustard. There is a barn behind the tree about 300 yards away that I would like to have slightly to the side of the tree. The challenge is to have the mustard, tree, and barn in focus. My question: I can do that with a wide angle lens but is there a way to do it with a telephoto to pull the barn in closer, yet still get the top of the tree and keep the field of mustard in front in focus?

thanks, s

didjdoctor

Advice on photo
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 11:07:02 am »

For one possibility, follow the thread under "digital blending for focus".  I learned about the free CombineX program through those columns, and it works very well.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Advice on photo
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 02:50:07 pm »

I want to take a photograph of a very tall and wide tree in the middle of a large field of mustard. There is a barn behind the tree about 300 yards away that I would like to have slightly to the side of the tree. The challenge is to have the mustard, tree, and barn in focus. My question: I can do that with a wide angle lens but is there a way to do it with a telephoto to pull the barn in closer, yet still get the top of the tree and keep the field of mustard in front in focus?

thanks, s
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61730\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This would be a good candidate for a panoramic mosaic that includes bracketed (or differentially RAW processed) images that are blended.  Mosaics allow you to shoot a longer focal length while remaining close to the subject.  By being close to the subject, this frequently means that you will need to blend the focus as well as blend the panoramic mosaic seams.  It is a bit complex, and I wouldn't want to do it with more than 2x5 or 3x4 image mosaics because the number of images and the amount of blending becomes overwhelming.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer
Pages: [1]   Go Up