Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: canon 100-400mm IS + 1.4 TC  (Read 23010 times)

wbray1

canon 100-400mm IS + 1.4 TC
« on: April 03, 2006, 10:59:30 pm »

I have used this combination and I don't know if I have a problem with the lens or not.  At close range I get a sharp image say around 20ft. If I try a distant shot and a still image on mode 1 stablization the image ,say a telephone pole, is slightly out of focus. The telephone pole grain is obscured. I'm thinking I might be slightly out of sync with the focus although with the lense by itself appears to be sharp.

benInMA

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 10:30:15 am »

What camera are you using?

On the long end with most cameras you are going to be losing AF with the teleconverter and at those kind of focal lengths nailing the focus is crucial.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 10:30:49 am by benInMA »

wbray1

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 12:22:19 pm »

On the long end with most cameras you are going to be losing AF with the teleconverter and at those kind of focal lengths nailing the focus is crucial.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61748\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

wbray1

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 12:25:12 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61748\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the canon 20d and I tried focusing on a monopod with is on and also without. I tried to focus very critical. I also have been on a tripod.

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 03:21:12 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the canon 20d and I tried focusing on a monopod with is on and also without. I tried to focus very critical. I also have been on a tripod.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61763\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As quoted on Canon's website for the 1.4 TC:
Effective aperture is reduced by one f-stop; autofocus is possible on any EOS camera when combined with a lens having an f/4 or faster maximum aperture.

The Canon 100-400 is an F/4.5-5.6... not sure what real impact autofocus in going to have on the short end.  

Have you tried manually focusing?

Cheers,
Kelly
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 03:33:25 pm by kbolin »

wbray1

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 05:11:31 pm »

As quoted on Canon's website for the 1.4 TC:
The Canon 100-400 is an F/4.5-5.6... not sure what real impact autofocus in going to have on the short end. 

Have you tried manually focusing?

Cheers,
Kelly
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61782\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yes I use manual focus because the auto is disabled.

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 06:51:11 pm »

I plan on getting a 1.4 TC... when it arrives I'll try it out on my setup and report back.  Probably in a week or so.

Kelly

wbray1

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 08:36:33 pm »

I plan on getting a 1.4 TC... when it arrives I'll try it out on my setup and report back.  Probably in a week or so.

Kelly
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61821\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the reply I have my 100-400 in the canon repair to see if I do have a problem with it so I hope to have info on it soon. I was trying to see if anybody has had any problems with it meanwhile.

francois

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 04:34:22 am »

Thanks for the reply I have my 100-400 in the canon repair to see if I do have a problem with it so I hope to have info on it soon. I was trying to see if anybody has had any problems with it meanwhile.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61833\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I have not experienced the problem you describe with the 100-400 + 1.4 extender combo. But image quality is degraded, as expected, when the 1.4 extender is attached to the lens. AF (on 1D bodies) becomes slow on only with the central focus point.
Let's see what Canon service has to say about your lens?

Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 04:34:33 am by francois »
Francois

wbray1

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 08:47:36 pm »

I have not experienced the problem you describe with the 100-400 + 1.4 extender combo. But image quality is degraded, as expected, when the 1.4 extender is attached to the lens. AF (on 1D bodies) becomes slow on only with the central focus point.
Let's see what Canon service has to say about your lens?

Good luck.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61857\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the reply I just receceived a reply from canon and they said it was going to cost $314 for repairs. I haven't contacted them to see what that involves. I will do that tomorrow as they are closed now.
  wbray1

francois

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 02:55:42 am »

Thanks for the reply I just receceived a reply from canon and they said it was going to cost $314 for repairs. I haven't contacted them to see what that involves. I will do that tomorrow as they are closed now.
  wbray1
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61968\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd be interested to know what problem you lens suffers from.
Keep us posted.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 02:55:52 am by francois »
Francois

benInMA

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 02:23:33 pm »

You didn't mention what kind of light you are working in.

If you're on the long end, you have effective f/8 aperture and you're focusing manually with a camera not known for a bright viewfinder.   Depending on the light and your vision it's going to be a challenge to focus perfectly when you've got a 560mm lens.

I am not knocking you here.  I have a mild prescription, but my eyes are corrected to 20/15 and I'm young so I don't have any issues with focusing or with night vision.   I have a 5D which has a brighter viewfinder.    And shooting with a long lens in certain types of light I will absolutely have to work hard to focus manually and get the correct focus.   Even if I use one of my f/1.8 lenses, if I'm in really low light the camera will actually AF better then I can MF.

If you could switch your focusing screen I might suggest trying that, but I don't think you can in the 20D, right?

I think our stock focusing screens really stink for MF and switching might help a lot, the dual prism setup on older cameras is definitely better for this kind of thing.

Since you didn't post your pictures showing a problem I would suggest taking a picture that has a range of objects at evenly spaced distances visible in it, that way you can see if the focus is just off as opposed to a problem with the lens.  With long telephoto shots you can easily just get "everything" out of focus enough to make it just look bad.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 02:25:04 pm by benInMA »

1IRISHBOY

• http://
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 03:27:42 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61833\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Note you will lose AF with the 1.4X

francois

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 03:35:45 am »

Note you will lose AF with the 1.4X
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Not with 1D bodies, but AF becomes really slow and only central focus point...
And for those who want to experiment, they can always try the trick posted on Fred Miranda website ([a href=\"http://www.fredmiranda.com/TipsPage/]here[/url]), it's supposed to work with all bodies.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 03:36:33 am by francois »
Francois

wbray1

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 08:03:27 pm »

Not with 1D bodies, but AF becomes really slow and only central focus point...
And for those who want to experiment, they can always try the trick posted on Fred Miranda website (here), it's supposed to work with all bodies.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62067\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well I got the lens back from canon and it seems as though I have the same problem. It is really out of focus with the 1.4x tc. I try it out with the lens by itself and I do notice at the 400mm end it is slightly soft, which that is what people are saying. I think the tc is picking that up and magnifying it. I have a L canon acessory focusing that slides in the view finder and I'm pretty sure I'm in focus. I tried a tripod with the IS on & off and used the mirror lockup and cable release. I don't think I could sell the pictures.  So I guess I'm going to give up and see about the 300mm f2.8L.

thanks for all your concerns

francois

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2006, 03:50:46 am »

I'm sorry to hear that Canon couldn't solve your issue.

Now, the 300mm f/2.8 is not in the same class, performance-wise and price-wise. You shouldn't be disappointed, even if you pair it with a 1.4x or 2x entender.
Francois

wbray1

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 10:38:47 pm »

I'm sorry to hear that Canon couldn't solve your issue.

Now, the 300mm f/2.8 is not in the same class, performance-wise and price-wise. You shouldn't be disappointed, even if you pair it with a 1.4x or 2x entender.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62143\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well I got the 300mm f2.8L and I purchased it from B&H photo at quite a savings. $3899. I told my photo dealer what I did and he was concerned about the quality of the lens due to the price. His price was $4700. He thought it was a class 2 lens. I contacted Canon and they said they don't have class 2. Any body have a idea about this? It seems I have a good lense as it is super sharp. I used it  with a 2x tele converter and haven't got  a real sharp picture yet. I think as everybody has told me I need to so autofocus with a 20d camera as manual is hard to acheive the dead on focus. Any body have an input this?
Thanks, Walt

lbergman

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2006, 08:37:44 am »

Well I got the 300mm f2.8L and I purchased it from B&H photo at quite a savings. $3899. I told my photo dealer what I did and he was concerned about the quality of the lens due to the price. His price was $4700. He thought it was a class 2 lens. I contacted Canon and they said they don't have class 2. Any body have a idea about this? It seems I have a good lense as it is super sharp. I used it  with a 2x tele converter and haven't got  a real sharp picture yet. I think as everybody has told me I need to so autofocus with a 20d camera as manual is hard to acheive the dead on focus. Any body have an input this?
Thanks, Walt
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62524\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Walt,

Local photo stores are usually more expensive (sometimes much more) then most mail-order places, having to do with volume. Although on a 300 2.8, I'm little surprised at what your local dealer is asking. I kind of thought on the more expensive items there was enough of a margin that most local dealers are close to mail-order. At least that was the case when I bought my 100-400 from a local dealer six years ago; their price was exactly the same as B&H's.

$3900 for the 300 2.8 is what I paid for mine from KEH several months ago and should be considered the "going rate". Canon is telling the truth as far as I know about there not being any "class 2" lenses. I think either your dealer was trying to justify his (much) higher price with misinformation or truely didn't have a clue. The only other possibility I can see is if he meant "refurbished" which Canon does sell. I've never seen a Canon reburished 300 2.8, but that doesn't mean they don't exist and if you did find one, consider it in the same class as sighting Bigfoot.     Anyway, if B&H was selling you a refurbished lens, you would see three things: a price considerably lower then $3900, the lens being clearly labeled "Refurbished" on their website, and there being a "Reburbished" label on lens box (and on the rear lens cap).

wtlloyd

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2006, 10:25:52 am »

I think lbergman has it exactly right regarding the lens pricing and different classes of lenses.

To add, I don't think the 100-400 holds up well with an extender, I was suprised to read that you get great results at close shots - I guess I have always tried the combo at max range, I'll have to see how it does at 140mm. In fact, I believe that's what led me to purchase the 400 f/5.6, in the hopes that a prime would give better results with the extender - and it did....

Generally, other than the 135 f/2.0, I find the extenders for the most part only really shine when used on the super-telephotos from the 300 f/2.8IS and up - and the 400 f/5.6 is not in that group.

wbray1

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 11:33:51 am »

I think lbergman has it exactly right regarding the lens pricing and different classes of lenses.

To add, I don't think the 100-400 holds up well with an extender, I was suprised to read that you get great results at close shots - I guess I have always tried the combo at max range, I'll have to see how it does at 140mm. In fact, I believe that's what led me to purchase the 400 f/5.6, in the hopes that a prime would give better results with the extender - and it did....

Generally, other than the 135 f/2.0, I find the extenders for the most part only really shine when used on the super-telephotos from the 300 f/2.8IS and up - and the 400 f/5.6 is not in that group.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62556\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the reply I thought along those lines myself. The price I guess could be it is bought in another country much less than the established price.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up