Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time to Update '08 MacPro?  (Read 2766 times)

ajz

Time to Update '08 MacPro?
« on: October 26, 2015, 03:32:58 pm »

My '08 MacPro recently running LR6 works as well as LR5 did on my existing system - not really any delay in editing. However, I would like to change out  the older 23" Apple monitor and perhaps a better graphics card compatible with LR6. Currently I have three HD's  internal to the MacPro: a 1TB with the OS and LR6 application only; a 3TB for LR Photos, and a 3TB HD as back up for the LR photos. Perhaps it might be desirable to remove these two internal  HD's to an external "cage" (not sure whose product) in case I were to move up to the current MacPro "canister" and wish to update the whole system! Or, of course, leaving well enough alone is an option, but the monitor is old and a more current one would help these old eyes.

System:MacPro early '08
           Processor 2.8gHZQuad-Core Intel Xeon
           Memory   16GB
           Graphics Card:  NVIDIA GeForece 8800GT w/512MB
           Apple 23" Cinema Display 1920 x1200

Pros and cons would be most appreciated, especially re:the graphics card and the moving those internal HD's to an external "cage". Eric Chan's site had some card thoughts on a card, but I am unsure if a better graphics card or newer monitor will work best with this '08 Mac.

Thank you,
ajz

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Time to Update '08 MacPro?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 01:07:06 am »

I am still using a core 2 duo MBP with 4GB ram in the studio. That is slow.

Why don't you just get another or second monitor at least as a first step.
I have an Eizo beside my 27" iMac. You may need Thunderbolt.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

DucatiTerminator

Re: Time to Update '08 MacPro?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 03:07:59 pm »

I'm still using a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 alongside a couple of 5,1's (prefer them to the 6,1 nMP's as they are more easily upgradeable and currently faster with my configurations at half the cost of the trashcans). Is the 1TB system drive SSD? If not, you can breathe quite a bit of life into it by just adding one. I had 2 older 23" Apple monitors connected to the 3,1 but recently replaced one with an Eizo. nVidia makes some great PC cards that work in the 3,1 (I have a GTX980) but require reflashing if you want the boot screen. I have a very inexpensive GT120 as well for troubleshooting as my card isn't reflashed yet. I believe Lightroom supports OpenGL (not sure about OpenCL or CUDA) and you will see better GPU performance from most of the GTX 7 and 9 series cards.
La gallina vecchia fa buon brodo
Pages: [1]   Go Up