Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scanning old snapshots  (Read 2144 times)

Trevor Murgatroyd

Scanning old snapshots
« on: October 26, 2015, 02:23:41 pm »

Motivated by nostalgia, I have decided to create some photo books of old times using film camera snapshots taken before I had any interest or proficiency in photography as a serious hobby. That means a lot of poor focus, blown highlights, and thoughtless composition, as well as enormous sentimental value to me and many others who appear in them. Most of them are 4x6 or 5x7. I believe I now have enough proficiency in Lightroom and Photoshop to do a good job of cleaning up spots and scratches, as well as other adjustments that might be necessary.

However, I do not know much about scanning. I have an old Canon LIDE 60 scanner that cost me less than $100 and that has been good enough for general purposes, but I wonder if I should get something better for the my project. Would I be wasting money, or would it improve the results significantly?

I would appreciate advice on scanners and scanning, retouching old photos, and anything else that might be useful for such a project.

Many thanks,

Trevor

mouse

Re: Scanning old snapshots
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 03:54:11 pm »

Trevor,
I have no knowledge of the Canon scanner you mention (or, for that matter, any other flatbed scanners).  I would first try it and open the scan in the editing software of your choice.  That should give you a fair idea of the quality you have to work with.  Others will probably offer their opinions on best practice using a flat bed scanner.

I have solved the same problem differently.  Using a good quality dslr (Nikon D700) and a good macro lens, I have photographed the prints taking great care with the lighting.  All of my prints were B&W.  The results were quite successful and produced files that were easily edited in Photoshop.

Trevor Murgatroyd

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 06:37:39 pm »

Thank you, mouse, that is an excellent idea that had not occurred to me.

I have just tried it out and found it much better than the scanner. It seems to me natural light is best.

Do you have any advice on lighting?

Trevor

mouse

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 08:19:52 pm »

Thank you, mouse, that is an excellent idea that had not occurred to me.

I have just tried it out and found it much better than the scanner. It seems to me natural light is best.

Trevor

Happy to hear it seems to work for you.  As for lighting, most important to avoid any glare or specular reflection from the print (especially glossys).  Natural light is fine if you have a nice even source.  I have also used tungsten; again being sure of very uniform lighting (either a distant source or multiple closer lights).

You don't mention what camera you have.  If you have a Nikon I would strongly recommend you search for this old MF lense: Micro Nikkor, AIS 55mm/f2.8.  These can be had at very low cost on the auction site.  It allows magnification of 1:2 at 0.25m, thus giving you a nice large image to work with.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 08:33:55 pm by mouse »

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 11:11:41 am »

Happy to hear it seems to work for you.  As for lighting, most important to avoid any glare or specular reflection from the print (especially glossys).  Natural light is fine if you have a nice even source.  I have also used tungsten; again being sure of very uniform lighting (either a distant source or multiple closer lights).

You don't mention what camera you have.  If you have a Nikon I would strongly recommend you search for this old MF lense: Micro Nikkor, AIS 55mm/f2.8.  These can be had at very low cost on the auction site.  It allows magnification of 1:2 at 0.25m, thus giving you a nice large image to work with.
+1 on the 55 f2.8.  Be aware that there is an AF version that is the same optically AFAIK and goes to 1:1.   It makes a cracking good all around lens.

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 12:55:08 pm »

Trevor,

For what it's worth I bought an all-in-one Canon Pixma MG8120 which does have a cracking good scanner. But the main attraction, for me, is that it also has a built-in film scanner. I haven't tried it yet but intend to do so, as I also have a load of old color negs and prints of sentimental value.
best regards,

Ted

D Fosse

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 01:49:54 pm »

For a flat print the standard setup would be two point light sources at either side, at roughly 45° angle to the print.

Yes, the old 55/2.8 was great and today can be had cheaply. But if Trevor has a Nikon body the current 60/2.8 AF version is a superb investment in any case. It's an amazingly underrated lens, crazy sharp at around f/5.6 or 8, and more importantly for this, flat field. And it can be used for negatives or transparencies as well (going to 1:1), giving superior results to any flatbed scanner.

Arlen

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 07:49:56 pm »

I haven't done it in a while, but the biggest issue that I encountered when scanning prints and film was with color materials. Maintaining color management, and getting good color from older, especially faded, originals can be a challenge with scanners. Not an issue with black and white, so that's much easier.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 12:17:37 am »

I use an Epson V600.  It's hardware and software do a pretty good job restoring colors especially in scuba diving shots I took years ago.  Even "normalized"  the bluish tones you usually get. https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/albums/72157625526207614

Of course this was from the original slides, but I did notice similar correction from prints as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up