Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom icc profile for B&W  (Read 16939 times)

unesco

Re: Custom icc profile for B&W
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 04:56:38 pm »

Thank you

For 1) are you referring to the inksep.psd file
no, to inkseparation.tif in bin folder of QTR (at least in Windows version). it can also be inlseparation6.tif or any other depending on the printer you have and the number of channels

I forgot to write, that the separation should be printed in Calibration mode of QTR. For CM, it is the best to fit it to the whole page

IanBarber

• Ian Barber Photography
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 10:19:59 am »

Does anyone know why it says "The Lab Values are not in order Cannot make a profile"

unesco

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 02:02:57 am »

could you please write down what have you done and how and what have you measured?

IanBarber

• Ian Barber Photography
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 05:01:25 am »

I tired various ways including the ones in your previous post and also the step by step  here http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/QTR-Flatbed.pdf

Everything appeared straight forward up to the point of actually making the curve where I keep getting that message.

I have attached the descriptor file from which i tried to crate a profile and linearise it.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 11:03:01 am »

Something really looks strange with your measurements.  It looks like you are getting almost total black in the last six patch readings.  I've never seen this happen in all the papers I've profiled.  I wonder if that's the reason you are not getting a profile made.

IanBarber

• Ian Barber Photography
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 12:49:50 pm »

Something really looks strange with your measurements.  It looks like you are getting almost total black in the last six patch readings.  I've never seen this happen in all the papers I've profiled.  I wonder if that's the reason you are not getting a profile made.

Yea the blacks look odd to me as well. I wish someone would do a youtube video showing the steps really for those of us who are visual learners :)

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 06:30:42 pm »

QTR expects to see different increasing numbers. Those last patches are weird with LAB of one. Have you tried measuring again. Here's the Northlight info: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/bw_printing/bw_print_colormunki.html
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 01:55:25 am by Jeff-Grant »
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

IanBarber

• Ian Barber Photography
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 06:10:13 am »

I am not usually beat by software but I have to hold my hand up to this one :(

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 07:43:12 am »

I am not usually beat by software but I have to hold my hand up to this one :(
I don't think it's the software; something is off with the measurements.  If you go to the Northlight Image link that Jeff Grant posted and scroll down you can see a sample output with density values that smoothly change throughout the range.  I haven't owned a ColorMunki for several years but you should get reliable patch readings from it.  I may have missed it but what paper are you printing on?  The Dmax seems a little high to me.

IanBarber

• Ian Barber Photography
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 07:46:35 am »

The Paper is a third part paper (Marrutt pro Satin Semi Gloss)

I am going to start from the beginning again by printing out the Ink Separation chart wit the QTR Print Tool

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 01:12:14 pm »

The Paper is a third part paper (Marrutt pro Satin Semi Gloss)

I am going to start from the beginning again by printing out the Ink Separation chart wit the QTR Print Tool
Before you spend too much time and effort from the beginning you should try to find out what caused the problematic readings of the step wedge.  Just use the printer's normal driver and print the 21 step wedge out and measure it.  If you are not getting a smooth transition reading you need to figure out why otherwise you are wasting more time and effort on the front part without solving the backside issue.

IanBarber

• Ian Barber Photography
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 01:18:28 pm »

I have gotten much further now although seem to be stuck on the last hurdle.

Having gone through all the steps outlined in the PDF help files, I am now at the final stage where I need to install the new curve into the printer by using the Install3880.command.

[size=78%]Every time I do this I am presented with Invalid linearize curve - not Constantly increasing. Can anyone help please[/size]

[size=78%]My Descriptor file for my new curve is attached.[/size]

Erland

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 04:53:31 pm »

I have gotten much further now although seem to be stuck on the last hurdle.

Having gone through all the steps outlined in the PDF help files, I am now at the final stage where I need to install the new curve into the printer by using the Install3880.command.

[size=78%]Every time I do this I am presented with Invalid linearize curve - not Constantly increasing. Can anyone help please[/size]

[size=78%]My Descriptor file for my new curve is attached.[/size]

The last 2 lines in the linearize reveals you have probably a too high ink limit. Try decreasing your black boost. The l value should be decreasing every step without being too close to the next value. Try changing you gamma otherwise.

Bwmastery.com Mr Boutwell also has a tool for free that makes your curve better. Try that?
Service Technician Digital Printers and Peripherals.
Epson Stylus Photo 1400.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up