Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does E-M1 spot metering follow the focus point?  (Read 2270 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Does E-M1 spot metering follow the focus point?
« on: October 16, 2015, 05:47:56 pm »

For the E-M1 set to spot metering, will that metering follow the focus point, or is it fixed to the center of the frame?
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

DougB

Re: Does E-M1 spot metering follow the focus point?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 02:21:24 am »

Wondering the same myself ...

Robert Falconer

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 04:08:13 am »

For the E-M1 set to spot metering, will that metering follow the focus point, or is it fixed to the center of the frame?
No, unlike the X-T1, the E-M1 spot meter cannot be affixed to the focus point. I hope they can add it in a firmware update at some point in the near future.
Official Fujifilm brand ambassador (X-Photographer) | Contributing Editor, Nikon Owner Magazine

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 10:06:22 am »

No, unlike the X-T1, the E-M1 spot meter cannot be affixed to the focus point. I hope they can add it in a firmware update at some point in the near future.

I suspected as much. Do you have a reference?
Bob Rockefeller

b_rubenstein

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 07:46:27 pm »

There is no need for a reference. Use something like a desk lamp, light fixture, bright light source, etc., set the meter patter to spot, and then put the spot metering mark on the bright light and change the AF point. If the metering changes as the AF point is moved, the spot metering is tied to the AF point. If the metering doesn't change, it's not tied to the AF point.

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 02:02:52 pm »

There is no need for a reference. Use something like a desk lamp, light fixture, bright light source, etc., set the meter patter to spot, and then put the spot metering mark on the bright light and change the AF point. If the metering changes as the AF point is moved, the spot metering is tied to the AF point. If the metering doesn't change, it's not tied to the AF point.

True enough. And that simple test confirms that spot metering is not locked to the focus point.

I hadn't really thought about it that much before, but that's a missing feature.

FujiFilm fixed it in a software update for their X-T1l; I wonder if we'll see such as software fix from Olympus?
Bob Rockefeller

Pete Berry

Not to be gloating, or anything...
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 03:15:03 am »

True enough. And that simple test confirms that spot metering is not locked to the focus point.

I hadn't really thought about it that much before, but that's a missing feature.

FujiFilm fixed it in a software update for their X-T1l; I wonder if we'll see such as software fix from Olympus?

...but the GH3&4 get this right. The spot metering cross centers on any focus box size, or the true point focus cross, wherever you move them by touch or 4-way pad.

Pete
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 03:20:07 am by Pete Berry »
Pages: [1]   Go Up