Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 "Photos" not-managed?  (Read 3711 times)

Sbarroso

Windows 10 "Photos" not-managed?
« on: October 13, 2015, 05:31:04 pm »

Hi,
I'ts just a particular problem of mine or it is "Photos" from windows 10 actually NOT color managed? I did some checks and "Photos" is rendering in my computer all pictures as they would have the AdobeRBG profile, even if they have any other. That results in oversaturated pictures with sRGB profile and dull for those with ProPhoto profile.

I switched the default previewer to the more classic windows "Photo Gallery". In that case all three profiles are taken correctly into account. I would welcome a move from sRGB to AdobeRGB, but I rather prefer that the software is able to interpret all possible profiles. My usual choice for personal work is AdobeRGB or ProPhoto, but for sharing with friends and familly I'm more confident with sRGB.

best,
Santiago

D Fosse

Re: Windows 10 "Photos" not-managed?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 05:33:52 am »

Is your monitor wide gamut? That's what you'd see if "Photo" did it the old Internet Explorer way - not using your actual monitor profile, but substituting sRGB.

All I can say is...no, better not. I really thought MS had gotten their stuff together by now, but apparently not.

The prospects for wider acceptance of color management seem bleaker than ever. Things are going distinctly backwards, and I blame all those pads and tablets and phones. Why do we have to lower to their standards?

Simon Garrett

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 09:05:03 am »

Hi,
I'ts just a particular problem of mine or it is "Photos" from windows 10 actually NOT color managed?

I've just checked, and it appears that the Photos app is not colour managed.  The "Windows Photo Viewer" from Windows 7 is still there in W10, and that is colour managed. 

Also, Edge isn't colour managed (or not fully, anyway) and neither is Internet Explorer. 

Microsoft have repeatedly shown that they really don't give a damn for colour management, so are we surprised that Windows 10 takes a step backward in supporting colour management?

hk1020

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 08:18:42 pm »

I am impressed. Not. Actually, this photo app isn't working for me anyway. It simply doesn't display anything at all although I point it to the right directory. The Win 8.1 at least did show my pictures. Though it needed a reset of the search cache once in a while. But this new thing... I have seen it working but not on my PC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up