Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: R800 Vs. P-400 dye-sublimation printer!  (Read 3835 times)

Alessandro_BR

R800 Vs. P-400 dye-sublimation printer!
« on: March 26, 2006, 06:11:12 pm »

Greetings!
My name is Alessandro, and I am new to this forum, however, I read great amount of what seemed to me very specialized info about EPSON's, my favorites.

I am an EPSON owner for quite a while now, and I am proud of it. Anyways, Here in Brazil is a difficult place to get printers, or precise info about them. I have an EPSON R200, and I find all the pictures I print faded-looking with no vivid colours at all, mainly because I print mostly Long Play covers Jpegs files, which I transform into CD covers, for storage purposes, as I am a music lover. I have try many papers, and now I am currently using a premium paper with 94 Brightness Rating, 8.5 Mil, 178 GSM from Braveworld . This was the best I have found and it still looks faded-looking. Now I am thinking of asking a friend of mine who is coming to Brazil from Texas to get me an R-800 printer, do you think the results will be visually better? I also thought of getting a P-400 Olympus Dye sub printer, as people say that dye sub printers are unbeatable, is it really true? Now the questions, do I get a quality in the R800 as good as with the P-400 dye sub printer?  I always use original ink from EPSON, but the R200 printer is really letting me down. Now I recently acquired a C87 EPSON printer, but all the printings don't seem to have the same bright as the R200 one, also, some people say dye ink looks better than pigmented one in terms of brightness.  But anyways, regardless of the price factor, I really, really wanted to know If I can get a professional lab looking printing with the R800 EPSON printer, I really wanted something that does not look like digital printing, with results similar to those found on dye sub printers, do I get it with the R800??

My kind regards,
Alessandro.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 09:51:38 pm by Alessandro »

vgogolak

• http://
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 01:25:03 pm »

Dear Alessandro

I am sure the newer inkjet have stronger colors, but will not have the continous tone look of dye-sub. The P-400 (newer one I think avaiable) or one of the newer Kodak are good. But the problem is only images up to 8x12.

For me, I send out for bigger. And Yes I find the Kodak 8660 prints no different from my chemical prints (and protected!) and look much more real than inkjet.

But only my opinion, and others I am sure would strongly disagree.

Good Luck. The P-400 is only $500 I think, or Kodak 1500 at $800 are good deals for dye subs.

regards
Victor

Alessandro_BR

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 11:22:04 pm »

Dear Alessandro

I am sure the newer inkjet have stronger colors, but will not have the continous tone look of dye-sub. The P-400 (newer one I think avaiable) or one of the newer Kodak are good. But the problem is only images up to 8x12.

For me, I send out for bigger. And Yes I find the Kodak 8660 prints no different from my chemical prints (and protected!) and look much more real than inkjet.

But only my opinion, and others I am sure would strongly disagree.

Good Luck. The P-400 is only $500 I think, or Kodak 1500 at $800 are good deals for dye subs.

regards
Victor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61283\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dear Victor,

I thank you so much for your kind and fast answer! ow, only one last question, can I use any kind of glossy paper on the P-440 printer? I know that the P-440 printer is optimized for Olympus papers, but can another kind of paper be used? I can always try to find another colour gamut for a new kind of paper. I woudl also really appreciate If anyone could run a test of this printer with another glossy paper....-

My sincerest regards,
Alessandro.

Jonathan Ratzlaff

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 01:13:51 am »

Dear Victor,

I thank you so much for your kind and fast answer! ow, only one last question, can I use any kind of glossy paper on the P-440 printer? I know that the P-440 printer is optimized for Olympus papers, but can another kind of paper be used? I can always try to find another colour gamut for a new kind of paper. I woudl also really appreciate If anyone could run a test of this printer with another glossy paper....-

My sincerest regards,
Alessandro.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61333\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Because of the dye-sub process you are limited to the paper supplied by Olympus.  There are no other alternatives.  In addition you use a complete sheet everytime you make a print.    Dye sub printers are good for instant prints where you need instant durability.  They do not make a better image than an inkjet printer where you have decent profiles.  Some also have problems with bleeding from dark to light areas due to the inability of the print head to cool down quickly enough.  I have Kodak 8500 printers living in my garage and one epson 2200 living in my office.  There is no comparison in the image quality and that is why the dyesubs live in my garage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up