Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bronzing in blacks on Epson 4000  (Read 4648 times)

turcophotography

bronzing in blacks on Epson 4000
« on: March 26, 2006, 11:45:51 am »

Can anyone explain to me why I am getting more bronzing in the black areas of my Epson prints when I use premium semi-matte Epson paper instead premium luster? Is there any way to get rid of it? What about other papers all together, any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions-
Greg T.

michael

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 11:51:40 am »

It's the nature of the beast. That generation of Ultrachrome inks shown bronzing to varying degrees on non-matte papers.

With their K3 inks, in the 4800 and sister models, this is now gone.

Your alternatives are to upgrade to a 4800 or switch to printing on matte paper. Or, find a glossy paper that is to your liking, to minimizes the bronzing effect.

Michael

turcophotography

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 12:00:10 pm »

It's the nature of the beast. That generation of Ultrachrome inks shown bronzing to varying degrees on non-matte papers.

With their K3 inks, in the 4800 and sister models, this is now gone.

Your alternatives are to upgrade to a 4800 or switch to printing on matte paper. Or, find a glossy paper that is to your liking, to minimizes the bronzing effect.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61061\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

turcophotography

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 12:02:04 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61064\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Michael,
have you heard anything about them making the K3 inks for the 4000?

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 07:25:49 pm »

I am a 4000 user--moderate print volume--for whom upgrading ain't gonna happen soon. Since I print 98+% B&W on matte fine-art papers, I have no compelling reason to ditch this printer. (If anything, I'd probably go with the 7800 and keep the 4000 with one of the new 3rd party inksets devoted to B&W only.) But I digress.

Try spraying your print with Premier Art spray or the Marshall equivalent. This should reduce the bronzing markedly if not eliminate it entirely on some papers. The sprays also improve the print's durability to handling, and maybe their archival longevity if their manufacturers are to be believed. I actually had someone place a drink onto a sprayed proof print; I blotted the condensation ring off quickly with a paper towel and resprayed the print; no perceptible damage resulted.

Another paper I've tried is the Crane Museo Silver Rag. A beta tester friend sent me a sheet to try out; I had some bronzing (B&W image) but not very much, and the spray eliminated it. The lustrous deep blacks of this paper really grabbed me. I intend to make frequent use of MSR, as well as similar forthcoming offerings from other makers, as soon as it's available in sheets.

I've used Red River Ultra Pro Satin with good results; again, spraying helps.
michael sebast
Pages: [1]   Go Up