Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Zoom for Sony A7RII ?  (Read 15947 times)

deanwork

Re: Good Zoom for Sony A7RII ? Update
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 11:25:37 pm »

Of course the other big development that has totally altered the landscape of the photography market, and the way we even think of our tools, is that it has now become simply part of the massive global consumer electronics industry. This is as evident in the printing segment dominated by Seiko and Canon, as it is the camera and lens area.

It's really a throw away culture by and large. I have no emotional connection to my photography equipment anymore like I do my old view cameras and lenses, enlargers, Rolleis, and my vintage guitars. With electronics products, as with smart phones and all fashion items, one day your in and the next day you're out. It's all going to end up in the landfill before long so none of this stuff, as expensive as it is, is ever designed to last. They don't want you to keep anything more than a few years, including the art you make with it.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 12:49:15 am »

Hi,

On a personal note, I am not so negative. Lets not forget that we are still part of an ongoing revolution. I got my first digital SLR camera around ten years ago and that camera has served my family for all those years. My dad was using it, the main reason he switched was that we wanted to standardise on batteries. Other than that the camera still works fine.

The reason cameras are short lived is development, new technology replacing older technology. This has been very obvious with sensors with significant increases in capability for each generation. More pixels, higher ISO-s and less noise.

Especially, increasing the number of pixels demonstrates lens limitations. A lens that was just adequate for 24 MP will look bad on a 42 MP camera, especially when viewed at actual pixels, but the 42 MP camera will still make better prints with the same lens than the 24 MP camera did.

Of course, if we don't print we don't need more than say 10 MP as that is what we can see on a 4K screen.

Another change is that we shoot more zooms, and good zooms are difficult to make. A good zoom may equal a good prime at some part of it's zoom range, but it is very difficult to make a zoom that is truly excellent trough it's entire focal length range.

The Sony 24-70/4 is one of those zoom lenses. Quite obviously it is not excellent, although some users find it very good. It is probably more convenient than carrying 24, 28, 35, 50 and 70 mm lenses. Sony makes some great lenses like the 35/1.4, 55/1.8 and the 90/2.8G macro. Both the 16-35/4 and the 70-200/4 seem to be pretty good lenses, it is unfortunate that Sony lacks a really good 24-70/4.

I don't really find that the AF-generation of lenses are unreliable, I have a few from around 1990, and I wouldn't rule out they are going to survive me. The main reason that those lenses see little use is that the newer lenses have features like longer zoom range, silent and fast AF and better correction of axial chromatic aberration.

Clearly, there is a lot of cost cutting going on in the industry and some new concepts may fail. When they do we need companies and dealers standing firmly behind the products.

Best regards
Erik

Of course the other big development that has totally altered the landscape of the photography market, and the way we even think of our tools, is that it has now become simply part of the massive global consumer electronics industry. This is as evident in the printing segment dominated by Seiko and Canon, as it is the camera and lens area.

It's really a throw away culture by and large. I have no emotional connection to my photography equipment anymore like I do my old view cameras and lenses, enlargers, Rolleis, and my vintage guitars. With electronics products, as with smart phones and all fashion items, one day your in and the next day you're out. It's all going to end up in the landfill before long so none of this stuff, as expensive as it is, is ever designed to last. They don't want you to keep anything more than a few years, including the art you make with it.
Erik Kaffehr

Telecaster

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 03:47:34 pm »

It's really a throw away culture by and large. I have no emotional connection to my photography equipment anymore like I do my old view cameras and lenses, enlargers, Rolleis, and my vintage guitars.

I find I can successfully combat this to a good extent with a camera like the A7r2 by using my favorite older (35mm format) lenses via adapter. I always knew being a lens junkie would pay off at some point!  :)  It's a welcome delight when an old lens design turns out to perform really well on a modern camera.

-Dave-

deanwork

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2015, 04:11:31 pm »

Now that is true. I've been doing some printing work for an old time Life magazine photographer from the the 60s who put all his old Leica lenses on the first  Sony A7 and the results were just outstanding. He shot everything on a tripod and manual and it produced super sharp beautiful raw files. I believe he was shooting primarily a 35mm and a 135 or something like that.

There is no way to use old Leica lenses on the Nikon D800 is there with some kind of adapter? If there was I would look for a wide angle on eBay because his files were sweet.

john

I find I can successfully combat this to a good extent with a camera like the A7r2 by using my favorite older (35mm format) lenses via adapter. I always knew being a lens junkie would pay off at some point!  :)  It's a welcome delight when an old lens design turns out to perform really well on a modern camera.

-Dave-

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
Re: Good Zoom for Sony A7RII ?
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2015, 04:27:50 pm »

Has anyone tried the Contax Vario-Sonnar T 24-85 mm F/3.5-4.5 AF Lens, It sells for $400 on eBay. I'm a bit interested on this lens and the Fringer's Contax N mount - Sony AE mount AF  Adapter Mark II
$680.00.  Just a lot pricy this adapter but looks like a killer combo.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 09:29:00 pm »

Hi Antonio,

I have not tried that lens. You can find MTF data here:
http://www.zeissimages.com/mtf/n/Vario-Sonnar3.5-4.5_24-85mm_e.pdf

I would consider this one, based on the MTF data:
http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/downloadcenter/contax_yashica/vario-sonnar3-3-4-0_28-85m_e.pdf

The latter lens looks pretty good to me, except 28 mm. The issue at 28 mm is either astigmatism or chromatic aberration, if it is chromatic aberration it is fixable in processing.

Thanks for the idea!

Best regards
Erik

Has anyone tried the Contax Vario-Sonnar T 24-85 mm F/3.5-4.5 AF Lens, It sells for $400 on eBay. I'm a bit interested on this lens and the Fringer's Contax N mount - Sony AE mount AF  Adapter Mark II
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 10:05:24 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 12:54:56 pm »

Thanks for the info Erick. The thing is that the 24mm end is very important for me. I actually use a Nikon D800 + 24-85 G for real estate shootings where I use auto focus and hand held most of the time. This combo is ok but I would like to have a combo with the Sony A7R and A7RII for the future. That's why I'm exploring my options.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 02:41:00 pm »

Hi Antonio,

Opinions on the 24-70/4 ZA vary, some actually like it. From the tests I have seen it is a no buy for me, but I have a couple of quite decent Minolta/Sony lenses I can use on the A7rII.

Check these reviews on the 24-70/4 ZA:

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/blog/2014/3/the-sony-zeiss-vario-tessar-t-fe-24-70mm-f4-za-oss-hallelujah

http://www.photojottings.com/sony-fe-24-70mm-f4-za-review

http://briansmith.com/sony-fe-24-70-f4-dxo-lens-tests/

I guess it could be a reasonable lens. I may also consider the Canon 24-105/4L with the Metabones IV. The Canon 24-70/4 may be another option.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks for the info Erick. The thing is that the 24mm end is very important for me. I actually use a Nikon D800 + 24-85 G for real estate shootings where I use auto focus and hand held most of the time. This combo is ok but I would like to have a combo with the Sony A7R and A7RII for the future. That's why I'm exploring my options.
Erik Kaffehr

shadowblade

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 12:44:29 am »

Hi Antonio,

Opinions on the 24-70/4 ZA vary, some actually like it. From the tests I have seen it is a no buy for me, but I have a couple of quite decent Minolta/Sony lenses I can use on the A7rII.

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/blog/2014/3/the-sony-zeiss-vario-tessar-t-fe-24-70mm-f4-za-oss-hallelujah

I guess it could be a reasonable lens. I may also consider the Canon 24-105/4L with the Metabones IV. The Canon 24-70/4 may be another option.

Best regards
Erik

The 24-105 really doesn't stand up to 36MP, let alone 42 or 50.

It might be worth waiting for the new Nikon 24-70 and seeing how it stacks up against the Canon.

deanwork

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 06:41:43 pm »

After working with more files from the Sony A7RII today, and comparing the Zeiss 55 with the F4 24-70 Sony zoom I'm convinced that you need REALLY good glass to do justice to this camera's sensor. Of course that could be said of the Nikon D800 also, but it becomes even more obvious to me with this camera.

What I've been seeing rendered with the 55 1.8 ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008124-REG/sony_sel55f18z_sonnar_t_fe_55mm.html )
on this body just amazes me. We were looking at files shot in super bright contrasty situations where the sky was mostly blown out ( at first take ) and the shadows were really deeply dark and harsh as well. These were situations that no film could dream of rendering, in any developer. When I processed these files in Lightroom I was able to coax tonality out of areas I was sure were totally lost,  way up there in the ultra-bright end. I didn't think I could find a tone in the extremes, much less a usable color, but the color was brought back as well. This is making me think that there is more than improved resolution with the 55. I think the contrast rendition is much better too. The whole capture looks better. The zooms not really bad, it is just no where near this overall quality.

After processing numerous files shot in such intense situations, indoors and out, my files were totally smooth and the resolution and clarity was just astonishing. We even had files that were quite usable shot at ISO 25,000 as a test. It's a pretty intense camera for the money. I wish I had one. The zoom is functioning fine for a walk around lens but the 55 is totally different optical territory, totally different all around from the middle to the corners. The two lenses are about the same price by the way. If I had this camera I wouldn't use anything but primes on it, and I'd try to buy the best prime I could possibly find for it. If that meant only using the 55, I just might do it. The combination is that damn good. I see why they would have to develop a whole new set of zoom optics for this device. And the camera is do damn small with just a prime on it. I agree with Michaels review, it is state of the art from what I've seen out there.

John

The 24-105 really doesn't stand up to 36MP, let alone 42 or 50.

It might be worth waiting for the new Nikon 24-70 and seeing how it stacks up against the Canon.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 06:43:38 pm by deanwork »

ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2015, 05:10:28 pm »

Yes the Canon 24-70 L and the Nikon 24-70 G are other possibilities. I'm also considering the Sigma 24-35 + some of my normal glass. This could be an option.

Hi Antonio,

Best regards
Erik
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

XE11

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2015, 07:56:40 am »

i have the CN 24-85mm on A7r. very good lens. just abit big for the A7r. very very good colour and build. it's reasonably sharp throughout. one thing to watch out for is the lens breathing when it focuses. it varies alot when focusing close-up vs infinity. the motor is quite noisy as well. (i have mk1 adaptor from fringer).

ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2015, 08:44:06 am »

i have the CN 24-85mm on A7r. very good lens. just abit big for the A7r. very very good colour and build. it's reasonably sharp throughout. one thing to watch out for is the lens breathing when it focuses. it varies alot when focusing close-up vs infinity. the motor is quite noisy as well. (i have mk1 adaptor from fringer).

Thanks for the info. I'm going to wait on this move. Sooner or later a better alternative would come out.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

shadowblade

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2015, 11:41:04 am »

Sony needs to hurry up with some E-mount f/2.8 zooms that can do justice to the 42MP sensor.

At very least, a 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200, all razor-sharp across the frame, f/2.8 and with good AF performance (that will only get better as the AF performance of bodies improves).

That trio of lenses alone would make E-mount more than a rival to SLRs for a lot of photographic applications - more so than even a great new body.

AlterEgo

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2015, 12:24:04 pm »

Sony needs to hurry up with some E-mount f/2.8 zooms that can do justice to the 42MP sensor.
or else ? WWIII ?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up