Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: At and way past peak: Sabrina and South Lake drainages, fall color  (Read 633 times)

Mjollnir

It's one of the oddest years I can remember for the traditional southerly sites to shoot fall color in the eastern Sierra.  This last weekend, my wife and I checked out everything from Lundy on downwards, and while things up north are still relatively unturned, the most popular places west of Bishop were really strange, with many of the aspens either already denuded or appearing REALLY dry and about ready to drop all their leaves w/out any change at all.  Not everywhere, but Surveyor's Meadow, almost all the South Fork canyon and North lake, to boot.

Not many photo classes to be seen, but there were plenty of shooters out there, and I ran into a few we know.  North Lake, as usual, had more fisherman than photographers, and mostly required shooting non-warhorse angles and comps.

The conditions made for the most mixed-bag year that I could have imagined with screaming bright yellow in full cover in a few places, and lot and lots of copses of bare trunks and branches in many more others.  These were all shot w/in maybe two hours of each other, w/in only a few miles and altitudes from each other as well.  We're considering a manic, whirlwind trip up there late this Saturday night since snow is possible at the higher, accessible regions this Sunday.

Just below the dam at Sabrina
Sabrina Aspens (1 of 1) by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

Surveyor's, looking NW from the creek
Surveyor's Meadow 15 (1 of 1) by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

Surveyor's, looking SW from the creek, by that famous huge black rock in the water
Surveyor's Meadow 15 #2 (1 of 1) by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

North Lake.  If you've shot there, it's almost certain you know this tree.  Never seen it so exposed.  So many shooters at the SE shore I had to look for something different.
Fall at North Lake (1 of 1) by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

kkerrick

• My Flickr Page
Re: At and way past peak: Sabrina and South Lake drainages, fall color
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 04:07:59 pm »

Very nice colors and compositions. I saw these on Flickr before you posted here as I am a follower of yours. You seem well adapted to using the telephoto for landscapes in looking at some of your other photos as well. Thank you for sharing and keep pushing out those photos.
Kevin

Mjollnir

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 04:56:27 pm »

Very nice colors and compositions. I saw these on Flickr before you posted here as I am a follower of yours. You seem well adapted to using the telephoto for landscapes in looking at some of your other photos as well. Thank you for sharing and keep pushing out those photos.

Thanks!  Glad you like them.

I've really got to bite down and get that Oly 40-150 2.8, though.  I love the quality of the 75 1.8 so much I tend to get lazy and just leave it on, forcing myself to shoot things that would be better done with a different FOV.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 04:02:00 am »

My favourite is the last one; the combination of the bare branches with the colour in the water works very well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up