Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MF Digital - Starting out and in a Quandry  (Read 3046 times)

desertgirl

MF Digital - Starting out and in a Quandry
« on: March 24, 2006, 01:54:35 pm »

Looking for some advice ...

I want to get into MF digital and am in bit of quandry.  

Hoping the collective experience on this site can help me some

I do not own any legacy MF bodies or lenses but I do have a decent collection of Canon lens. Given that I am at abit of loss as to how to proceed since I am starting with a blank slate ...

Is there any MF system that will allow me to use my Canon lens or am I going to be looking to start from scratch ...

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Peter Jon White

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 03:25:43 pm »

Looking for some advice ...

I want to get into MF digital and am in bit of quandry.   

Hoping the collective experience on this site can help me some

I do not own any legacy MF bodies or lenses but I do have a decent collection of Canon lens. Given that I am at abit of loss as to how to proceed since I am starting with a blank slate ...

Is there any MF system that will allow me to use my Canon lens or am I going to be looking to start from scratch ...

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60948\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Canon lenses won't cover a sensor larger than 24x36. There's no way to convert them to cover a larger sensor. You could use them with adapters for macro work, but that's all.

My question for you is why do you want to use medium format? Unless you need to print very large, there's not much advantage to having a larger sensor than the sensors in Canon's full frame DSLRs. How large do you need to print?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 03:26:12 pm by Peter Jon White »

Gandalf

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 12:20:07 am »

Hey desertgirl, are you attached to desertdude? Let me know, if you are I've got some info you might like and would give you both an excuse to hang at the Sedona Arts Center for a weekend.

Best answer for your question is ebay, or one of the many places to sell your gear online.

What you need to answer is why do you want MF digital and what are you expecting to get from it that you can't get from your Canon system? What kind of budget are you looking at?

Bill
aka bigreen505 at a site run by a guy named Scott.

lbjornson

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 03:01:51 pm »

I have been reading the posts on this site for bit and have a question that might be similar to desertgirl's.  I have been shooting with Nikon gear for quite a few years now (F70 and F90X) and was recently thinking of getting a medium format film camera in addition to my Nikon.

With the increasing quality of digital sensors, would I be better off buying a digital camera body and blowing up the photos?  I still prefer using film but have also been considering the D70.  It seems to me that photographers may be going away from medium format in favour of high resolution digital SLRs.

Any thoughts?

bob mccarthy

• http://
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 05:21:47 pm »

I have been reading the posts on this site for bit and have a question that might be similar to desertgirl's.  I have been shooting with Nikon gear for quite a few years now (F70 and F90X) and was recently thinking of getting a medium format film camera in addition to my Nikon.

With the increasing quality of digital sensors, would I be better off buying a digital camera body and blowing up the photos?  I still prefer using film but have also been considering the D70.  It seems to me that photographers may be going away from medium format in favour of high resolution digital SLRs.

Any thoughts?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61389\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Your in a good situation. Continue to use your Nikon lenses and add digital with a new D200. While I use the D2x, the D200 is pretty close at 1/3 the price. I find the latest generation 10+ mpxl cameras to come close enough to medium format film that I would not concider anything less than 4x5 to be significantly better.

Now you may have a few dog lenses in digital that were fine with film. But then that how one gets medium format film quality with a sensor significantly smaller that 2&1/4 squared.

Many of my manual focus lenses turned out to be winners with digital and the new camera accomodates them just fine.

bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up