Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about 3200K light sources to create Dual illuminant DNG Profiles  (Read 2933 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

If a high quality with good excess UV filtering flash is  to create the daylight balance profile, can a full CTO gel be used with the flash to shoot the 3200K profile or should I stick with quartz-halogen as the 3200 K light source?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:21:41 pm by Ellis Vener »

torger

Re: Question about 3200K light sources to create Dual illuminant DNG Profiles
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 02:28:18 am »

I would not use a gel, they usually have quite strong peaks in their responses. Here's one CTO response:

which has a clear green bump, which a halogen doesn't have. I've experimented with the other way around to make daylight from halogen using filters and that's not that good either, you get a very wavy response.

However, it will make a profile, and it's hard to say how much that wavy response hurts performance in practice. Probably not that much. To be on the safe side I'd use a real halogen lamp though.

Most dual illuminant DNG uses StdA as the tungsten source, which is ~2850K. 3200K might be a bit close to your daylight source to make a broad dual-illuminant profile, but it depends on what you want to achieve.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 02:30:26 am by torger »

Ellis Vener

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 09:47:49 pm »

Much appreciated TORGER!

AlterEgo

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 09:51:32 am »

Most dual illuminant DNG uses StdA as the tungsten source, which is ~2850K.
I think he can simply buy 2800K rated bulb for his light device, instead of 3200K rated one that he has allegedly now

Ellis Vener

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 10:28:01 am »

I think he can simply buy 2800K rated bulb for his light device, instead of 3200K rated one that he has allegedly now

Allegedly? Seriously?

AlterEgo

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 10:59:20 am »

Allegedly? Seriously?
and why does that wording bother you at all ?

Ellis Vener

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 11:23:39 am »

Let's see why does it bother me...

1) Because it implies I don't know what I am talking about or my craft. You are consciously or unconsciously attacking me. For what reason I know not. Does it make you feel better or somehow superior? Have I ever done something to hurt or disparage you? If so, my apologies , but since you are hiding behind a pseudonym that's impossible to know.

2) Because of the snarkiness coming from a pseudonymous poster, with an unknown amount of real world experience and only a short posting history here , a combination ( snark + pseudonym) which almost always equals "ignorant troll" in my experience.

3) The lack of civility in what is usually a fairly civilized forum. The context I usually hear the word  "allegedly" is used when actors  playing defense attorneys on Law & Order are discussing criminal acts their clients might or might not have committed.

But as with your poor choice of words, none of that has anything to do with the question.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 11:26:36 am »

Really?! Wow! I never would have thought of  purchasing A STANDARD HOUSEHOLD TUNGSTEN LIGHT BULB !

AlterEgo

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 11:46:44 am »

1) Because it implies I don't know what I am talking about or my craft. You are consciously or unconsciously attacking me. For what reason I know not. Does it make you feel better or somehow superior? Have I ever done something to hurt or disparage you? If so, my apologies , but since you are hiding behind a pseudonym that's impossible to know.

2) Because of the snarkiness coming from a pseudonymous poster, with an unknown amount of real world experience and only a short posting history here , a combination ( snark + pseudonym) which almost always equals "ignorant troll" in my experience.

3) The lack of civility in what is usually a fairly civilized forum. The context I usually hear the word  "allegedly" is used when actors  playing defense attorneys on Law & Order are discussing criminal acts their clients might or might not have committed.

But as with your poor choice of words, none of that has anything to do with the question.

it is just your rich imagination

AlterEgo

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 11:47:39 am »

Really?! Wow! I never would have thought of  purchasing A STANDARD HOUSEHOLD TUNGSTEN LIGHT BULB !
I did not say "STANDARD HOUSEHOLD TUNGSTEN LIGHT", I said "2800K rated bulb for his light device"... you know that quarz halogen bulbs for studio lights might be rated for lower than 3200K ? may be that is not the case with you particular light equipment - but then we don't know what it is...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 11:50:45 am by AlterEgo »

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 12:17:15 pm »

Judging by the poor grammar, I would guess that English is not the honorable Member's native tongue.

However, judging by the contentious nature of the majority of the Member's posts, the t-word does seem appropriate.

::)
best regards,

Ted

AlterEgo

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 12:38:57 pm »

Judging by the poor grammar, I would guess that English is not the honorable Member's native tongue.

However, judging by the contentious nature of the majority of the Member's posts, the t-word does seem appropriate.

::)

indeed a suggestion to simply replace 3200K rated (yes - allegedly) bulb with 2800K rated bulb is a t-word posting and yours here is not...

Ellis Vener

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 01:59:07 pm »

you know that quarz halogen bulbs for studio lights might be rated for lower than 3200K ?

Perhaps some are not 3200˚K but my quartz-halogen bulbs are rated for 3200˚Kelvin, and they have been tested for actual output. Dimming them of course shifts the color temp lower.
Pages: [1]   Go Up