Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Of Seniors' Moments  (Read 3081 times)

Rob C

Of Seniors' Moments
« on: September 26, 2015, 12:32:35 pm »

So much of now is wrapped up in then. And it isn't just nostalgia - it's the inevitable accumulation of experience adding its presence to whenever you happen to be living.

I was playing around with a picture this afternoon when I realised that I was listening to a mental soudtrack of Sinatra's Strangers in the Night. Was a time old Blue Eyes was a family favourite. I recall the Christmas I bought my wife the triple LP, His Greatest Years and the disappointment when it turned out to be unplayable: warped.

Discs exchanged, we enjoyed the replacement, and so many others for years. But anyway, the Strangers song: when you listen to it, and many others of the time, you realise that loss didn't start with American Graffiti, with Wolfman Jack or anybody like that. No, it started when music became a solitary artform, when touching and holding was a thing soon to be of the past. And the words, apart from the tactile qualities of the times, were so powerfully emotive: “exchanging glances, wondering in the night what were the chances – we'd be sharing love before the night was through... Something in your eyes was so inviting...”
You get the picture. I hope.

September Song. Starts so beautifully and then breaks your heart. “When the autumn weather turns the leaves to flame, one hasn't got time for the waiting game...”

Consider rap: no, let's not.

Where and when the hell did we blow it all away? Where went the talent to write?

Rob C

Telecaster

Re: Of Seniors' Moments
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 03:33:57 pm »

It's all relative. To my dad's friend Verna (both of them gone now) '60s Sinatra was weak beer compared to the potent brew of the '50s. In The Wee Small Hours, Songs For Swingin' Loversthat was the Real Deal. To my dad Sinatra in totality was pale ale compared to the bracing bourbon of 1930s-era swing. Benny Goodman was The Man and Edward Ellington mightily deserved being called Duke.

I know folks who won't listen to any post-'70s rock & roll. For them it all ended with punk & the ensuing New Wave. And so they're cocooned in Classic Rock-ville. (So much so they wouldn't even get the pun in that last sentence.)

As for hip hop: make haste, get thee to New York City and attend a performance of Hamilton. It'll blow your freakin' mind with its goodness & energy.

(My favorite Sinatra recordings are those made with Antonio Carlos Jobim. The man could really sing when he dialed down the ring-a-ding persona.)

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 05:07:18 pm »

Hi Dave,

Well yes there are differences, of course, in the various Sinatra epochs, but nonetheless, then it was more a matter of words - maybe lyrical poetry? - than it has been for decades now. And naturally, he never seemed to have lost his timing, his phrasing. (I accept that there are generally many takes to get the whole, but that whole is all I get to hear.)

R'n'R, for me, ended with Chuck Berry going (c)old and making dud songs like My Ding a Ling - his greatest seller, apparently - which says more about the fans coming late to the party than about him; he always was into the money: apparently he distrusted cheques and took it all home in suitcases. And who could blame him. Before R'n'R came along I was into New Orleans jazz, hated 'modern' and now it's pretty much gone the other way, with a great liking for almost anything with Ben Webster. R'n'B is something else, and I really do listen to quite a lot of that if the mood gets me; mostly, though, I just listen to a Louisiana radio station throwing out swamp pop rock, which is a nice mixture of so much else, but basically with a Fats Domino triplets(?) thing going down as the bottom line to pretty much everything.

Jerry Lee I didn't like much as a frenetic R'n'R act but took very greatly to with his C'n'W material; again, as with Sinatra's torch songs, country can be beautiful because of its honesty. Three chords and the truth? Why the early exponents had to have straw coming out of their ears and hairstyles that posed threats to low-flying aircraft is another mystery best forgotten. But let's not forget the big swing bands - who, who lived in those days, can ever forget Glenn Miller? That music comes on and an entire era is instantly alive, along with the dancing that went with it.

You had a different heritage in the U.S. to the one we 'enjoyed' in the U.K. In Britain's 50s it was part of the muso union/BBC regulations that American artists got very limited airtime; our home-grown R'n'R artists were a pretty feeble bunch with the exception of, perhaps, Cliff Richard, who never cracked the States, and then went mainstream, made pots of money and lost me.

By the time the supergroups came along, post Beatles and early Stones, I lost interest. I suppose I also ran out of patience after the sixties. Disco? I'm afraid not. I admit it can be infectious enough, but I find it without any soul whatsoever. Like some contemporary fashion and beauty photographers, then. Surface.

Thank goodness, though, that even Seniors are different, one from the other!

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:10:28 pm by Rob C »

amolitor

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 12:48:52 pm »

Every era has its 'machine made' music as well as its lone geniuses.

In the moment it seems there's nothing but the machine made pap, but the pap rarely survives the long run. Except where it is echoed in the good stuff that does survive.

Jimbo57

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 06:33:33 am »

Yep.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 08:05:04 am »

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
One constant though is that people think music of their youth is somehow way better that today's 'modern rubbish'.  Despite people from previous generation saying exactly the same thing about the 'modern rubbish' of their their era.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 09:00:07 am »

One constant though is that people think music of their youth is somehow way better that today's 'modern rubbish'.  Despite people from previous generation saying exactly the same thing about the 'modern rubbish' of their their era.
Everything in youth is for the FIRST time, and for that reason you are hard wired to know that to be the best...for always.

Peter

jjj

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 09:28:44 am »

Everything in youth is for the FIRST time, and for that reason you are hard wired to know that to be the best...for always.
Except that it's not the first time for new kinds of music. Say you hear drum and bass 20 years after liking 70s prog rock in your teens.   :P

I do think people conflate the carefree times they had as teens whilst being soundtracked by music of the era, with the music itself.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 09:37:55 am »

Except that it's not the first time for new kinds of music. Say you hear drum and bass 20 years after liking 70s prog rock in your teens.   :P

I do think people conflate the carefree times they had as teens whilst being soundtracked by music of the era, with the music itself.

Life and it's influences is one hell of a cocktail...

Peter

jjj

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 09:48:32 am »

Life and it's influences is one hell of a cocktail...
Sometimes it tastes really good and other times.....

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 01:27:58 pm »

Sometimes it tastes really good and other times.....

...and at other times you can choke to death on the olive.

Yes, youth does very much influence individual tastes later and throughout life, but I still think that age aside, music that had melody and story that connected to the realities of all of the life-term of one individual meant more than simple chants of moon and croon, or even of music sans words.

That's where those Sinatra classics hold their magic. The underlying concepts, as distinct from simple story lines, are reflections on how life changes you as the years roll past. That September Song I loved in my twenties, but hadn't the years yet to understand fully the reality lying behind it, even if I understood the suggested implications clearly enough, is but an example of what could be so beautiful and yet painful. I never had any interest in classical music, and perhaps more my loss than not, but I think that some of those old 'standards' must come closer to the spirit of music and its contribution to living than simply dance throb. Which I also like very much as long as it's not electronic. Some young guys here drive past with windows down and music up to top volume, but all the public gets is a monotonous thump of bass devoid of any relief. Inside the car, I'm sure it ¡s something quite else. But for those outside, the effect is to say: what a dumbo!

Rob C

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 07:02:05 pm »

Something I posted on Facebook, lots of Sydney references but I think you will get the message.

I think music is about "a time and a place".
I've danced to bad Acid Rock with two thousand teenagers in Merrylands.
I've sung British sing-along songs at the Orient Hotel in the Rocks.
I've blown a whistle to disco music in George Street.
I've listened to great acoustic music in Taylor Square.
I've listened to Pub Rock in most of the big music venues in the Eastern Suburbs of the seventies.
Tonight I'm listening to the same music I spent years listening to at CLI while I did my illustrations, Ambient music.
If you are having a fun time while listening to music, no matter how good or bad, that is what makes music great.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Otto Phocus

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 09:46:55 am »

Kids!
I don't know what's wrong with these kids today!
Kids!
Who can understand anything they say?
Kids!
They are disobedient, disrespectful oafs!
Noisy, crazy, dirty, lazy, loafers!
While we're on the subject:

Kids!
You can talk and talk till your face is blue!
Kids!
But they still just do what they want to do!
Why can't they be like we were,
Perfect in every way?
What's the matter with kids today?
Kids!
I've tried to raise him the best I could
Kids! Kids!
Laughing, singing, dancing, grinning, morons!
And while we're on the subject!

Kids! They are just impossible to control!
Kids! With their awful clothes and their rock an' roll!
Why can't they dance like we did
What's wrong with Sammy Kaye?
What's the matter with kids today!

:)
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Telecaster

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 05:22:23 pm »

Had a bit of a senior moment myself a couple days ago when I heard a version of Taylor Swift's song Blank Space performed by indie muso eccentric & provocateur Father John Misty (aka Josh Tillman, former drummer in the band Fleet Foxes) in the style of Lou Reed. As in dead-on impersonation…sounds just like Reed's demos for the first Velvet Underground album. It seems to me FJM is intending to take the piss out of what he considers a vacuous piece of songwriting. (He may also be taking the piss out of the recent Swift-approved Ryan Adams cover version of her entire current album.) But IMO his performance works. Swift's lyrics have more bite and wit than you'd likely notice from hearing her pop production-whizbang-to-the-max version, and giving those lyrics a Reed-style melody & cadence breathes life into them.

Sometimes style can bury content, and other times it can excavate same.

https://youtu.be/oU1roh5edj4

-Dave-

jjj

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 04:52:05 pm »

Had a bit of a senior moment myself a couple days ago when I heard a version of Taylor Swift's song Blank Space performed by indie muso eccentric & provocateur Father John Misty (aka Josh Tillman, former drummer in the band Fleet Foxes) in the style of Lou Reed. As in dead-on impersonation…sounds just like Reed's demos for the first Velvet Underground album. It seems to me FJM is intending to take the piss out of what he considers a vacuous piece of songwriting. (He may also be taking the piss out of the recent Swift-approved Ryan Adams cover version of her entire current album.) But IMO his performance works. Swift's lyrics have more bite and wit than you'd likely notice from hearing her pop production-whizbang-to-the-max version, and giving those lyrics a Reed-style melody & cadence breathes life into them.

Sometimes style can bury content, and other times it can excavate same.
I disagree. I think you like that particular cover's musical style better than the other versions and are now post rationalising a whole heap of stuff on the back of it.
People are very quick to dismiss songs if they are pop in style as apparently that makes it [in their eyes] 'vacuous'. And yet a more a guitar based treatment is somehow more valid. Nope it isn't, it's simply a different style and guess what different people simply prefer different styles.
Debating about what music is best is like arguing what colour is the best. Pointless as it's entirely and completely subjective.

Quite possibly FJM is taking the piss out of people who will like a Lou Reed style version, but would dismiss the original as it's only a pop song. The reality is that unless you ask him directly, you have no idea what the intention is. He may simply like the song.

Telecaster

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 03:35:38 pm »

I disagree.

That's okay. I've made no claim to objectivity here. Just reporting my reaction—as a sorta senior having, as noted, a "senior moment"—to the song & performance in question.

-Dave-

jjj

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 08:57:20 am »

That's okay. I've made no claim to objectivity here. Just reporting my reaction—as a sorta senior having, as noted, a "senior moment"—to the song & performance in question.

-Dave-
Insert 'thumbs up' symbol here.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up