Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My First Wheels!  (Read 662 times)

Rob C

My First Wheels!
« on: September 24, 2015, 05:28:05 pm »

Never imagined I'd ever find a picture of the same thing on the Internet!

Anybody got a pic of their first?

Just as well I dig New Orleans music! '59 Ford Popular; 1172 side-valve engine, three gears. Strong as a horse. A small one, that is. By the time it was eleven months old I'd rolled it onto its side on ice and bent the Motorola aerial that sad proudly on the port rear wing. The rear starboard window fell out, my eight-months-pregnant wife ended up on my head. (Baby ran full-term, was perfect.) Aerial was bent flat, but apart from that, car was fine(ish). Motorola were great: tall aerials with only three sections! Couldn't beat 'em.

I really wanted two aerials, one on each tail, but it would have been a bit OTT, even then. Wasn't Texas, you know; 'twas Glasgow.

0.30 secs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DotUBIYp_s

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 04:53:53 am by Rob C »

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Re: My First Wheels!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 10:46:11 pm »

Growing up I suffered from motion sickness. If I travelled in a bus, train or car for more than a few miles I would feel nauseous and would most likely vomit. My elder sister will most happily sit me in the front seat of a car to this day and she will sit in the back seat.

My first car was a late 70s Mazda 321 that I bought in Port Moresby because there was no public transport. To my relief I found that if I was driving I didn't suffer from motion sickness. However I am not a great car lover due to my early childhood. I'm enjoying walking and catching the new light rail at the moment.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Rob C

Re: My First Wheels!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 05:12:17 am »

Growing up I suffered from motion sickness. If I travelled in a bus, train or car for more than a few miles I would feel nauseous and would most likely vomit. My elder sister will most happily sit me in the front seat of a car to this day and she will sit in the back seat.

My first car was a late 70s Mazda 321 that I bought in Port Moresby because there was no public transport. To my relief I found that if I was driving I didn't suffer from motion sickness. However I am not a great car lover due to my early childhood. I'm enjoying walking and catching the new light rail at the moment.

Cheers,

It's a strange thing, that motion sickness. Just after WW2 we went to India for the first time. It was quite a long journey, even through Suez, and for the early part of the trip I suffered from seasickness, which I guess is the same effect. However after that initial experience, I never again felt it, neither on the three later UK - India trips nor on lots of later yacht travel with friends. In fact, had I been born rich, I think I would have fulfilled my mid-life crisis dream of selling up and living on a yacht. I'd have followed that idea right until my first heart attack if I'd managed to have a big lottery win; today, both health and the futility of owning something an older guy can't fully exploit anymore would preclude such a purchase, regardless of sudden wealth coming my way.

It would always have been a power vessel, never sail: I just don't understand the desire to fight nature to go in zig-zags all the way to wherever it is that you want to go. Yes, long power boat voyages without refuelling are out unless you own something the size of a holiday resort with engines, but I wouldn't want to leave the Med at all, and the best places are all along its European coast and around its islands, but again, only as far as I know. Today, unlike the days of old when "there be dragons!" was drawn upon maps, we have terrorists instead, even if political correctness prohibits advertising their whereabouts on charts.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up