Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Impressionism  (Read 8048 times)

Fine_Art

Impressionism
« on: September 20, 2015, 04:30:51 pm »

Impressionism at the marina.

Fine_Art

Re: Impressionism
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 04:59:23 pm »

In case people might think I messed with the image, here is the 3 shot RAW, bracketed screen capture. I have only looked at the first of the three.

DwayneOakes

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 08:15:15 pm »

Cool, well spotted.

Dwayne Oakes

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 10:39:40 pm »

Definitely the wrong title. My painting teacher did his Master's Degree studying Monet. He spent years explaining Impressionism to me. If you are well versed in Impressionism this is just "wrong", sorry.

Maybe the title should be "Upside down reflections". Nothing wrong with the photo, but you need to rename the image.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 10:06:27 am by tom b »
Tom Brown

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 07:12:04 am »

Definitely the wrong title. My painting teacher did his Masters Degree studying Monet. He spent years explaining Impressionism to me. If you are well versed in Impressionism this just reads as "wrong", sorry.

Maybe the title should be "upside down reflections". Nothing wrong with the image, but you need a new title.

Cheers,
+1 

Fine_Art

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 01:46:27 pm »

I am no painter, so I will take your word for it on paintings. Can photos be impressionistic?

James Clark

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 04:13:11 pm »

I am no painter, so I will take your word for it on paintings. Can photos be impressionistic?

I think Mr.b is being a bit hard on you, personally, not to mention being overly concerned with specific labels and such.   

As for whether a photo can be impressionistic, I would think so, considering that a camera is capable of capturing images that symbolically and by inference do so much more than just capture a literal rendition of a scene. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 04:32:33 pm by James Clark »

tom b

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 04:25:13 pm »

The answer is no, but that isn't a bad thing. A great photograph is instantly readable. Cézanne was the painter's painter. It took me years to "read" his paintings, however when I did, wow!

Cheers,

LuLa has changed its hyperlinks, but if you Google, Claude Monet, water lilies (go to images) you may get an idea about my post.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 05:20:58 pm by tom b »
Tom Brown

Fine_Art

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 11:38:52 pm »

The answer is no, but that isn't a bad thing. A great photograph is instantly readable. Cézanne was the painter's painter. It took me years to "read" his paintings, however when I did, wow!

Cheers,

LuLa has changed its hyperlinks, but if you Google, Claude Monet, water lilies (go to images) you may get an idea about my post.

I tend to think more of Van Gogh. Starry Night, Sunflowers, Wheat Field.

http://www.vangoghexhibition.com

DwayneOakes

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 01:00:21 am »

Photography for sure can capture this effect. By capturing energy and motion
you can simulate this effect. Impressionism was an art movement in the 1800s
so of course it can't be redone only effects if photos and styles if painting can
be done (facsimile). Keep being creative that's all that counts !

Dwayne Oakes

tom b

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 01:25:46 am »

Photography and painting are completely different. Unless you have painted you have no idea what the differences are. Getting back to my past post, "Google, Claude Monet water lilies" (go to images) you may get an idea of what I am on about regarding the posted image.

Cheers
Tom Brown

stamper

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 03:31:58 am »

Photography and painting are completely different. Unless you have painted you have no idea what the differences are. Getting back to my past post, "Google, Claude Monet water lilies" (go to images) you may get an idea of what I am on about regarding the posted image.

Cheers

A lot of people think that you can't become a great photographer unless you appreciate painting. Personally I don't appreciate painting. Now if what you state is true then there is still hope for me to become a great photographer?

tom b

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 08:29:56 am »

A lot of people think that you can't become a great photographer unless you appreciate painting. Personally I don't appreciate painting. Now if what you state is true then there is still hope for me to become a great photographer?

No, that is not what I have been saying. All I have been saying is that the title to the photograph is wrong. Call the photograph whatever you want but don't call it "Impressionism", it is far from it!.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

rhynetc

• Tom Rhyne Photography
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 09:38:34 am »

Thanks for reminding me why I don't choose to post in these forums.  :)

stamper

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 11:04:21 am »

No, that is not what I have been saying. All I have been saying is that the title to the photograph is wrong. Call the photograph whatever you want but don't call it "Impressionism", it is far from it!.

Cheers,

Reply #11

Photography and painting are completely different.

You did state that.

NancyP

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 12:33:12 pm »

I like the image. I don't much care one way or the other about the title. Thanks for posting this image.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 12:59:47 pm »

I like the image. I don't much care one way or the other about the title. Thanks for posting this image.
+1.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 02:58:23 pm »

+2.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 05:04:44 pm »

Definitely the wrong title. My painting teacher did his Master's Degree studying Monet. He spent years explaining Impressionism to me. If you are well versed in Impressionism this is just "wrong", sorry.

Your teacher should give his degree back. This photo is impressionism "on a stick," as they say.

James Clark

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 05:08:36 pm »

Your teacher should give his degree back. This photo is impressionism "on a stick," as they say.

I *think* (and forgive me for presuming) that the contention is that "painting" itself is inherent in the definition of "Impressionism."  Technically, speaking, that may even be true.  So perhaps the better statement would have been that the style of this image invokes the Impressionists, if one were to be a stickler for the strict rules of art.   (But I'm not).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up