Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which camera to choose for B&W digital?  (Read 34930 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: Which camera to choose for B&W digital?
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2015, 07:34:43 am »

The problem is that what you "see" is different from what the camera captures. The weakness that all cameras have is that they average out the exposure and tonal values will then be changed?
Which only matters if you shoot automatically and also do not tweak image in darkroom or Lightroom.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Herbc

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2015, 11:18:19 am »

I may have missed it, but St. Ansel recommended one use a wratten green filter in the shape of the film frame to visualize what the scene would look like in b/w.  Seems like it would still make sense? 8)

jjj

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2015, 12:38:54 pm »

I may have missed it, but St. Ansel recommended one use a wratten green filter in the shape of the film frame to visualize what the scene would look like in b/w.  Seems like it would still make sense? 8)
Only if you then shoot with a green filter in front of your B+W film.
A red, orange or blue filter will give very different looks.

rpsphoto

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2015, 01:21:11 pm »

I used an M Monochrome over a three day period when it was first released. My impression was very favorable in general. Personally, I found the images a bit too sharp and clinical. I think, like all digital files, your success depends largely on your post processing skills. My approach is to use a sync'd color management system and a standard workflow on color images that are converted to b&w.

Best regards,

Bob
CEO  CFO  EIEIO, Ret.
Best regards,
 Bob CEO, CFO, EIEIO, Ret.

jjj

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2015, 01:32:55 pm »

CEO  CFO  EIEIO, Ret.
Your signature made me laugh BTW.  ;D

rpsphoto

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2015, 01:36:02 pm »

Thanks J3...my former employer cracks up as well.

Best regards,

Bob
CEO  CFO  EIEIO, Ret.
Best regards,
 Bob CEO, CFO, EIEIO, Ret.

Rob C

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2015, 09:44:50 am »

Late to the party but I wanted to say that this a nice photo. Not one-off Earth shattering, not "inspirational", not photographer-of-the-year but if it were part of a series hanging on the wall in a cafe or restaurant, I'd find it quietly, convincingly satisfying. Some shots just look "right" without striving to be a hero shot and this is one of those.

In fact, it it were one of mine sitting matted on my desk just now, I wouldn't actually care what anyone else thought, I would just be quietly smug, a job well done. 

I know this isn't the over-the-top enthusiasm people traditionally like to dish out on internet forums but here's to the quiet shots...

Thank you, Dave; I just refound this thread too, so apologies for not responding earlier!

On the series thing: yes, I have been wanting to do something like that for a while now. I used to have the perfect, functioning, printer for B/W: HP B9180. Still have it, but HP has abandoned me re. inks, so I switched off to let it die quietly on the desk, where it stares blankly at me each time I enter the office. For some reason, I can't bear to dump it. I'll never buy another printer now unless I first manage to sell off the apartment and go somewhere else to settle down for the last time.

Some things suck. But thanks again for the nice comments re. the picture.

Rob

jjj

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2015, 10:02:29 am »

I used to have the perfect, functioning, printer for B/W: HP B9180. Still have it, but HP has abandoned me re. inks, so I switched off to let it die quietly on the desk, where it stares blankly at me each time I enter the office.
I have an Epson Printer that still can be filled with ink. However because photo quality prints can be produced by a lab at a lower prices than I can print at home, it simply gathers dust.

algrove

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2016, 11:02:10 pm »

To answer the OP's question

Leica Monchrom

Rob C

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2016, 05:34:19 pm »

To answer the OP's question

Leica Monchrom

Meeeaow!

;-)

Rob C

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2016, 06:35:56 pm »

I would second the Sigma DPx recommendation, great for B&W work!

Cheers,
Bernard

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2016, 07:46:30 am »

I really don't understand the fuss. Many years back, I used Ilford XP2 BW film for C41 chemistry because of its very fine grain structure and good speed.
Then one day I did back-to-back comparison with images shoot on colour neg fim and compressed to BW after scanning. I couldn't see any advantage to the BW film.

It seems to me the situation with a dedicated B&W digital camera is the same: in theory it could pick up a stop of speed by jettisoning the colour filter in front of the sensor, but in reality that is not available. There is no resolution advantage because of the way raw converters treat the luminance info. So I would lose the freedom to filter by colour post-hoc, or to keep the colour, and gain nothing in return except some snob value.

Rob C

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2016, 10:37:13 am »

I really don't understand the fuss. Many years back, I used Ilford XP2 BW film for C41 chemistry because of its very fine grain structure and good speed.
Then one day I did back-to-back comparison with images shoot on colour neg fim and compressed to BW after scanning. I couldn't see any advantage to the BW film.

It seems to me the situation with a dedicated B&W digital camera is the same: in theory it could pick up a stop of speed by jettisoning the colour filter in front of the sensor, but in reality that is not available. There is no resolution advantage because of the way raw converters treat the luminance info. So I would lose the freedom to filter by colour post-hoc, or to keep the colour, and gain nothing in return except some snob value.

But it could also lighten the load on your shoulders from packing that wallet!

Despite being a dedicated slr user, I would like to try a Leica RF digital for my interest in 'blurs and suggestions' phase, simply because I think I see value in seeing beyond the edges of my frame in these cases, and it would make it easier to know where the subject is when panning at slow shutter speeds when the mirror flips and loses vision for you...

Rob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2016, 04:17:41 pm »

But it could also lighten the load on your shoulders from packing that wallet!

Despite being a dedicated slr user, I would like to try a Leica RF digital for my interest in 'blurs and suggestions' phase, simply because I think I see value in seeing beyond the edges of my frame in these cases, and it would make it easier to know where the subject is when panning at slow shutter speeds when the mirror flips and loses vision for you...

Rob

Hi Rob,
In my youth I learned to shoot with both eyes open for that very reason. I found being right eye dominant this worked well for me...

Peter

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2016, 11:11:55 am »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the FujiFilm X-Pro2 with the 24 megapixel APS-C X-Trans sensor (non-bayer array and no anti-aliasing filter) This camera has a hybrid viewfinder (optical & electronic that will display in black and white with Fuji's Acros B&W film simulations. The simulations are available in standard, yellow red or green filters in camera or in Adobe Camera RAW. You can link the EVF to exposure simulation or turn it off for low light scenes. The camera even has added film grain available to further simulate B&W film.

The camera also offers focus peaking assist and split screen focus.
Gerald J Skrocki

hermankrieger

• Photo Essays in Black and White
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2016, 12:49:15 pm »

I go to digital black and white via a rollfilm camera and scanner.
Photo Essays in Black and White-
www.efn.org/~hkrieger

N80

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2016, 07:13:06 pm »

I go to digital black and white via a rollfilm camera and scanner.
Photo Essays in Black and White-
www.efn.org/~hkrieger

I used to do the same. Processed the film at home. Scanned it at home. Printed it at home. I enjoyed the process and enjoyed using my older cameras. But the success rate/dollar was pretty low and it was a lot of work. I have not done it in years. I have no chemicals or tanks anymore but might try it again someday. I have a few rolls of Ilford Pan F Plus that are still fresh.

As far as a dedicated B&W digital camera, I cannot imagine the need or paying for one. It seems to me the only thing you'd really need to look for in a digital body for B&W is how broad the Dmax is and maybe how well it does in low light (if you needed that sort of thing).

As far as Ansel Adams recommendation to view through a Wratten filter to visualize in B&W I think it can help. But honestly, when I'm committed to producing a B&W print and shooting often I begin to 'see' in B&W anyway. Not a special skill, I imagine it is true for anyone who shoots in B&W a lot.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up