Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2200 paper feed problem  (Read 5161 times)

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
2200 paper feed problem
« on: March 17, 2006, 08:21:35 am »

I am printing multiple copies of a greeting card on 7x10 Moab kayenta.  The printer takes the paper from the sheet feeder, prints and then takes up the next sheet, hesitates and then feeds the paper all the way thru without printing.  It used to do this every 2nd or 3rd print, but now is doing this after just one print.  Printing 20 cards has become a pain.

After trying some things with tech support, Epson's response is that it is the paper.  The agent directed me to a list of papers that are "supported" by epson to be used on this paper.  Guess what--yes--they are all epson papers.  Trying to tie users to their ink is expected, but now they appear want to tie us to their paper as well.  After much circular discussion and charging me for the session and the phone call, I gave up.

Any one have a fix for my problem?

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
2200 paper feed problem
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 01:56:47 pm »

Not a fix, i'm afraid, but some sympathy.

I sometimes want to make little 4x6" prints to give to friends, so I bought a roll of Epson's own glossy paper for my 2200 for the purpose. After first two or three times I tried it, I could never get the roll paper to load correctly, even after carefully trimming the end with a straight edge several times. Fortunately, my printer seems to have no problem with sheets, although I get a blank feed such as you describe once in a long while, so I haven't bothered trying to get the roll to work.

I wonder if Epson would tell me that they don't support Epson paper in rolls?  

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

sralser

2200 paper feed problem
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 03:34:47 pm »

I have the same problem with Red River note cards.  Let me know if you find a fix.  At fist it all went well, but now who knows how many it will print in one go.

Steve

jdemott

2200 paper feed problem
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 04:28:23 pm »

I have had the same problem with Red River note cards on my 2200.  Based on several communications with Red River and my own experimentation, I think I have at least a partial answer, although it is not a complete solution.  I think the main problem is with the coating used on the card stock, which is somewhat slippery.  After printing a few pieces, some of the coating material adheres to the feed rollers on the printer and they lose some of the traction that they depend on to feed the paper.  As you run more pieces through the printer, it becomes impossible to get the printer to feed any more.  

The solution is to clean the rollers.  I do that by dipping a cotton swab in alcohol and holding it against the rollers while pushing the paper feed button a few times.  Then I run a piece of plain paper through which has been lightly sprayed with water, followed by a dry sheet.  That seems to fix things for a while.  

The other factor that seems to contribute to the feeding problems is moisture content, which Red River says can cause a newly opened box of card stock to curl slightly.  I have in fact noticed that a freshly opened box of paper will feed fine and then a few minutes later some sheets will start to have feeding problems.

In Epson's defense, I have never had a problem with their paper feeding poorly.
John DeMott

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
2200 paper feed problem
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 10:39:14 am »

The latest is that my problem is now occurrring after EACH print.

Could the sensor be involved in some way--can it be cleaned?

Could you explaing how to clean the rollers a little more>  When i look into the fedder i do not see rolers and can't tell what needs to be cleaned.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

jdemott

2200 paper feed problem
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 12:46:07 pm »

The latest is that my problem is now occurrring after EACH print.

Could the sensor be involved in some way--can it be cleaned?

Your problem sounds a little different than what I have experienced.  The problem I usually have is that the paper won't feed at all, but sometimes it sends a sheet through as you have described.  Do you experience the problem with Epson paper?  If not, it seems reasonable that there is something about the third party paper that is making it difficult for the printer to get a proper grip on it and feed it.  I don't know what kind of sensor the printer uses to detect when paper is properly in place during the feed process.  You might try blowing a little compressed air to see if there is some dust, etc. that is affecting things.

Could you explaing how to clean the rollers a little more> When i look into the fedder i do not see rolers and can't tell what needs to be cleaned

Use a flashlight if the light is poor.  Look into the automatic paper feed slot (without any paper in place) and press the paper feed button.  At either side you will see white plastic rollers turning on a shaft.   There are small plastic slides that cover the rollers to guide the paper but the rollers can easily be seen when you look at a slight angle.

I use a pair of vise grip pliers to hold onto the cotton swab when I clean the rollers.  This makes it easy to reach far down into the slot and I know I won't accidentally drop the swab while I'm cleaning.  I just hold the alcohol saturated swab against the surface of the roller that would contact the paper while it is turning.  After a few turns you will see that the swab has collected some dust and dirt.

DISCLAIMER--I am not a professional technician and I don't claim any special knowledge of what is the proper maintenance for the printer.  This has worked for me but try it at your own risk.
John DeMott
Pages: [1]   Go Up