Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rodenstock 28mm and ND filter question  (Read 2026 times)

greener1

Rodenstock 28mm and ND filter question
« on: September 12, 2015, 11:52:12 pm »

Hi All,

I recently acquired a Rodenstock 28mm lens that I use on my Cambo tech camera with the IQ260 back. I also use the CF that takes it from the 72mm up to 95mm and my question is: Do I need to get a Lee Filter kit (ND filters) with square filters at the 150mmx150mm or can I use a slim screw in filter that fits the 95mm thread without any vignette? Will I be fine because the OD of the filter is already much wider than the actual 72mm lens thread or is it just too wide?

My preference is for a screw in filter.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

MIchael

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Rodenstock 28mm and ND filter question
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 10:27:55 am »

If you don't want to shift (you can only shift on the 260 about 5mm anyway), then you can put a 95mm slim on the CF and will not vignette.  The problem will be finding a slim 95mm ND, the only ones I know of are the Hi-tech Firecrest line and I don't believe they are shipping either a 95mm or 105mm even though they are listed.  I have had the 105mm on order 4 months now. 

The Lee system will not fit or work well on the 28mm with CF installed.  Lee doesn't make a 95mm wide angle ring.  So if you use the standard ring, then you will vignette.  This is in regards to the Lee standard 4 x 4 system.  The Lee SW-150 only has Resin ND filters, they now offer the little stopper in the 150mm size, but that may be too much filter. 

You can use the Lee 95mm to 105mm adapter ring to fit over the CF and hold the Lee Wide angle hood, with one slot. 

My setup for the 28mm is the Lee wide angle hood with 1 slot, and the Lee 105mm filter ring on the front of the hood for a CL-PL, Lee now makes a slim 105mm CL-PL, (it's a bit warm) and this will work well with the 28mm.  Thus you can have a Lee glass 0.9 or Halida 1.2ND in the slot and use the CL-PL on the hood.  You can get a about 5mm of shift before the corners of the Cl-PL show up.

I prefer the hood solution since the 28mm is prone to flare anyway.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

greener1

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 10:49:29 am »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your advice. I was looking a the Firecrest filters but didn't realize there was such a long wait. I did find that Singh Ray has the 95mm ND screw in filters in the sizes I need:

http://www.singh-ray.com/shop/mor-slo-5-10-and-15‐stop-solid-neutral-density-filters/

The reason  I don't want to commit to the LEE system (or any other brand) at this point is I have the new 35mm SK lens on order(with the XF) and I also need to find a solution for ND filters for that 105mm size. LEE has not yet made the adapter for their system so I want to wait until someone comes up with a solution. Once that happens then I can get one set of square filters/kit for both my tech cam and XF body/lens.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 11:02:52 am »

Wow,

You and I should try to shoot together some time.  I am in the same position, in fact trying to sell my 28mm R mount right now to afford the 35 LS and XF.  

Here is a bit more info on the 105mm issue.

1.  Cokin, X-pro makes a 105mm ring, that will allow their X-Pro to mount.  Cokin makes a glass 0.9 which I have for the X-Pro and it seems fine.  So you could use the Cokin with a Cl-PL on the lens.  

2.  Linholf studio, now makes their own filter holder and 105mm rings that take the Lee 150mm size filters.  Only issue is that Lee only makes resin currently for the ND.  The are now shipping the little stopper (tends to give a blue cast and has no IR cut) but at least it's glass.  So the Linhold holder would work on both your 28mm (using their 95mm ring) and the Schneider 35 LS using their 105mm rings.  They are currently out of the 105mm rings but should be getting more in soon.  If Lee would step up and make the 0.9 in their glass, it would be great.  But so far, not happening.  

3.  Ideally, Hi-tech could get off their a** and make the Firecrest 105mm ND line or discontinue it.  They have actually never shipped the 105mm but keep it in the lineup.  

I have steered away from Singh Ray on the cost and since I am moving away from the 28mm Rodenstock.  
Edit:  Just saw that Singh Ray has the Slo More in the 105mm thin size, may go that route and give up on Hi-tech. I am hoping the the 35LS will allow filters with the hood.  Can't find too much out on that lens currently.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 11:09:47 am by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up