Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iceland Visit Advice  (Read 8864 times)

Miles

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 143
Iceland Visit Advice
« on: September 09, 2015, 09:42:24 pm »

I have a 5 night whirl wind visit to Iceland scheduled for mid October and am hoping to receive some advice from those who have knowledge of the island.  It is going to be a self guided photo tour and the first three nights motel are reserved in Reykjavid as part of the travel package purchased.  I'm thinking spending the arrival day on the Reykjanes Peninsula, the next day at Snaefellsnes Peninsula, the next day at the Golden Circle and possibly Kerlingarfjoll before returning to Reykjavid for the third night.  I have purchased the map and eBook from the International Photographer as noted in another thread on this site and will work out the details to these areas soon.  Does this sound reasonable to do in the time I have?

Following those three nights, I have two nights unreserved.  I'm thinking heading to Skaftafell (Svartifoss is a must see for me) and Jokulsarlon (about 5 hours from Reykjavid).  Probably drive part way back to a motel after dark.  It's a long day, limited time.  Any suggestions on a motel out that way?  Am I trying to fit too much in or going too far?

Then work my way back to spend the day around Lakagigar and Landmannalaugar areas.  Any hotel suggestions there?  

Finally I will finish up in that area and head back to the airport.

I know I only have time to hit some highlights and can't spend much time at any one location, but it's better than not going. :D  There truly seem to be too many "must see" locations to cover in the time I have.

Any tips on car rental would be appreciated as well.  I understand 4 wheel drive is required to travel on "F" designated roads.  Should I reserve a rental at the airport or take the free shuttle to the hotel reserve a rental in town?

Weather wise it is usually 35 to 45 degrees that time of year.  Sounds like snow is a possibility I should plan for.

I appreciate the information shared in this community and hope some of you Icelandic travelers will share your knowledge with me.

Miles
Logged

Jon Meddings

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 143
Re: Iceland Visit Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 04:46:09 pm »

Miles, it sounds to me like your idea for the last couple of days is a good one.  I suspect that Svartifoss and the glacier lagoon will occupy most of your time and they are good choices. Remember to check out the black sand beach at the lagoon (sea side) at night.  Great opportunities there and if you are lucky as we were a few years ago you might see some aurora over the lagoon.  I would not try to do much more.
Logged

Miles

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 143
Re: Iceland Visit Advice
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 08:21:07 pm »

Jon, thanks for the advice.  It is appreciated.  Looking forward to the trip.
Miles
Logged

Rhossydd

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3457
    • http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Iceland Visit Advice
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 02:01:15 am »

Then work my way back to spend the day around Lakagigar and Landmannalaugar areas.  ........  I understand 4 wheel drive is required to travel on "F" designated roads.
Be aware that the F roads to those areas may well be closed to traffic by then. The weather's been very poor this year in Iceland and it's likely that many of the highland roads will close earlier than in some previous years.

Take good advice on weather forecasts and road conditions before the run along the south of the island and plan your itinerary accordingly. There have been a lot of bad accidents to tourists,  getting stuck and under appreciating the road conditions this year.
Logged

Josh-H

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2086
    • Wild Nature Photo Travel
Re: Iceland Visit Advice
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 06:38:27 am »

Be aware that the F roads to those areas may well be closed to traffic by then. The weather's been very poor this year in Iceland and it's likely that many of the highland roads will close earlier than in some previous years.

Take good advice on weather forecasts and road conditions before the run along the south of the island and plan your itinerary accordingly. There have been a lot of bad accidents to tourists,  getting stuck and under appreciating the road conditions this year.

The F roads will for sure be closed by Mid October. They didn't open until late this year because of weather and will close well before Mid October.
Logged
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Miles

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 143
Re: Iceland Visit Advice
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 08:34:30 am »

That is disappointing to hear the F roads may be closed. :(  I had no idea they may close this early.  Thanks for the heads up as it gives me a chance to do some alternate planning on where to go and how to get there.
Logged

Morris Hersko

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • B&H Photo Video
Re: Iceland Visit Advice
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 01:20:49 pm »

If I were you I'd combine the Golden Circle with Jokulsarlon, and sleep over somewhere in the middle - Vik would be a good choice. That'll cut down on a couple of hours driving time.

Alternately you could do the Golden Circle by itself, then do Vik and Jokulsarlon over two days. There's plenty in the Vik area to keep you busy shooting for a day, and lots of interesting places between Vik and Jokulsarlon (Fjadrargljufur Canyon comes to mind).

Regarding driving at night, I wouldn't worry. The roads in Iceland (not the F roads, obviously) are great - well paved and marked. I drove through the night during a blizzard there last February and didn't feel any less safe than in New York.
Logged
Morris Hersko // Customer Advocacy
B&H Photo Video // [email protected]

Miles

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 143
Re: Iceland Visit Advice
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 08:37:32 am »

Thanks for the advice everyone.  We had a great trip and really enjoyed ourselves.  As noted, some of the interior F roads were already closed but we didn't find that much of an issue as there was so much else to see and do.  :) 
Logged

ronfmarshall

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
Re: Iceland Visit Advice
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 09:06:31 am »

I will be going in May.  I found this photo guide very useful:

http://ianplantdreamscapes.myshopify.com/products/forever-light
Logged

Miles

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 143
Re: Iceland Visit Advice
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 08:31:04 am »

The International Photographer offers a high quality map of Iceland with various locations of photographic interest detailed on the map.  Also offered is an e-book that gives quite a bit of information.  I read the book before the trip to plan our itinerary, then used the map extensively during the trip.  I feel it was money well spent and would recommend it for anyone doing a self tour of the island.
Logged

MartinSpence

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 151
    • Martin Spence Photography
Re: Iceland Visit Advice
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 11:26:21 am »

Hi Miles

How was ur trip?  Have you shared any of your photos yet?

Thanks
M

Petrus

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 952
Re: Iceland Visit Advice
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 12:01:25 pm »

Thanks for the advice everyone.  We had a great trip and really enjoyed ourselves.  As noted, some of the interior F roads were already closed but we didn't find that much of an issue as there was so much else to see and do.  :)

Some roads are open only for a few months. In 2001 we spent 3 weeks in Iceland with our Defender 110 and 6 kids, and when we went to Askja the last part of the road (F88) was plowed open the evening we arrived at the campsite, July 23:rd! So the best time to explore the interior is July to September, that is when all/most roads are open.

Typical opening times of various F-roads are given here: https://www.vikingcarrental.is/en/info/driving-in-iceland
Logged

Miles

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 143
Re: Iceland Visit Advice
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 04:52:20 pm »

Hi Martin,

I really enjoyed the trip.  Thanks for asking.  We stuck to the bottom half of the island as well as the peninsula just above the capital.  I hope to go back some day to do the northern half.  The interior F roads were closed when I was there, but the golden circle was still open.  If you like waterfalls and wide vistas, you'll like Iceland!

It is a beautiful place.  I haven't posted any pictures yet (ever).  Maybe I'll give it a try.

Miles
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up