Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to develop/define/price a suite of Products  (Read 8383 times)

ThirstyDursty

How to develop/define/price a suite of Products
« on: September 08, 2015, 03:19:01 am »

I'm making small in-roads into developing a suite of products and having trouble with pricing and defining sizes etc...basically defining limits

To date I've been entering works into art shows and have had success....this was easy as I'd foot the bill up-front and know how much something cost me and price for the show.

I've recently been approached by a retail gallery (that I've place 13 framed prints and a stack of Art Cards)...to provide an image catalog with options and pricing.

What sizes to offer? (Thinking A5-2 with 5mm boarder and aspect/crop maintained)...I have quite a few square crops - If I charge by paper size, they'll represent worse value.

Pricing...per cm2 of Ink or paper? deal as you get bigger? or more expensive?

Mats? obviously the window would be print, but what frame sizes? (Thinking Single and Double options of just off-white and black...maybe a slate)

Frames? F'me...This becomes so custom seems near impossible...but sizes would match mats (thinking of offering up front pricing on basic 3cm white or black, with shadow box for square) list a whole bunch of other options...but that custom quote was needed....

of should I cut this off earlier....print prices...tell me what you want and I'll get a quote back to you in 48 hours

Pricing 7.95 Art cards is now the least of my worries! :)

Oh...I own a P800 printer (A2 Roll), mat cutter, framing tools (but buy the frame and glass and do rest myself)...want to keep as much in house as possible...at least for the minute.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
Re: How to develop/define/price a suite of Products
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 10:19:08 am »

Basics first: Narrow your objectives. That gallery should be able to provide the subjects/sizes/mats/framing that would be most marketable to their customers' various price points. Then look at your costs and profit margins you need to deliver that product.

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 06:09:56 pm »

Sorry. I should rewrite that post. I was pulling my hair out at the moment I wrote it.

I'll distill it down

1) bigger prints a deal or premium?
2) standard paper sizes or classic photo frame dimensions?

If I decide these two things...the rest seems like it will flow.

I feel like a 30x30cm square should be a tiny bit less then a 30x40cm...despite my cost being near identical. So that much I've decided.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 06:13:09 pm by ThirstyDursty »

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 08:41:02 am »

A couple of weeks back I wandered in a YellowKorner franchise in Montpellier: they have a strict equal size <-> equal price policy as part of their business model, but what surprised me was the steep increase in price with print size. At least it seemed steep to me... you could go to their web-site and see what you think.

One point is that they sell the smallest prints (from memory 24x36cm) as open series (42€ + framing options, unreliable memory again) whereas larger sizes were all limited edition. Another way of segmenting the market I guess.

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 09:34:07 am »

A couple of weeks back I wandered in a YellowKorner franchise in Montpellier: they have a strict equal size <-> equal price policy as part of their business model, but what surprised me was the steep increase in price with print size. At least it seemed steep to me... you could go to their web-site and see what you think.

One point is that they sell the smallest prints (from memory 24x36cm) as open series (42€ + framing options, unreliable memory again) whereas larger sizes were all limited edition. Another way of segmenting the market I guess.

i personally like this idea

1) larger size demands more image quality, attention to detail and finesse (some images I wouldn't print beyond A3-2 as image quality is limited - FYI I shoot with a Oly em10 and their pro glass or primes)
2) once I go over A2 I'll have to outsource and my cost will go up 400+%
3) limited edition per size A3 and greater....this seems snooby to me, but also speak to my interest in original art. I'll probably get over it ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up