Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tamron 150-600 zoom on A7RII with Sony Adapter  (Read 5031 times)

dmward

Tamron 150-600 zoom on A7RII with Sony Adapter
« on: September 06, 2015, 01:28:25 pm »

I am looking for a longer lens for my A7RII.
Based on the review articles that Michael and Kevin have written on the lens I was hoping that they would update regarding the A7RII and especially with the E3 adapter since it does not have the translucent mirror penalty.

michael

Re: Tamron 150-600 zoom on A7RII with Sony Adapter
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 04:36:07 pm »

I recently got the E3 adaptor and it's a much better choice than the E4.

The E4 works OK (that's what I used in Antarctica), but it uses its own phase detection points.

The E3 allows the A7RII with its 399 on-sensor PD points to be fully used, and focus tracking is simply astonishingly good.

A great combo.

Michael

dmward

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 07:21:33 pm »

Thanks Michael.

I was testing AF-C and tracking the other day with A7RII and 70-200 FE. It works well.

That has made me want to get a longer lens. This sounds like the best option. Unless you or someone has a better idea.

This has got to be the ultimate way to enjoy driving your car in the country on a Saturday afternoon.

A7RII 70-200G shutter 1/200, F8 ISO 400

The lens was much better at keeping focus shot to shot than my panning technique.

dmward

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:58:13 pm »

One more question Michael;
I recall in your earlier article about this lens on the A7II, that you had to input the various focal lengths for the OSS system.
With the E3 adapter is entering the various focal lengths still a requirement?
One would expect that the data transfer via the adapter would permit auto OSS. One can hope at least.

Thanks.

JNHenry

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 06:26:32 pm »

I just got back from using the Sigma 123-300mm f/2.8 on a Nikon D810 while on safari in Kenya and shooting gorillas/chimps in Uganda.  Loved the lens, and was completely satisfied with how it focused by itself, and with both the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters.

After getting home I went into my local camera store to see/try the a7rII.  Loving the 120-300mm, I had the store pull out a Canon EF mount version of the lens and the latest Metabones IV adaptor, and gave the Sigma 120-300 (without teleconverter) a go on the a7rII.  It seemed the lens focused just as fast on the ar7II as it did on the Nikon D810.  The focus was quick and locked on without any issues. 

That said, please note that this was just a simple 10 minute test in the camera store.  But, it's enough to 1) make me see if a good Nikon-to-FE adaptor comes out so I can use this lens, or 2) send my lens to Sigma and have them convert it to EF mount and then use it with the Metabones adaptor. 

I'm waiting for the store to get Sigma's new 150-600mm Sport lens in stock, and then I'll test it out with the Metabones adaptor.  I also did try the Sigma 24-35mm f/2 with the Metabones adaptor on the a7rII, and it worked very well.

All that's the long way of saying I think there are many long lens options for the a7rII.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Tony Jay

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 06:50:14 pm »

The Sigma 120-300mm lens does work well with the Metabones IV adaptor.
I like this lens a lot but at f2.8 it is also very heavy.

For my upcoming trip to Africa later this year I won't be taking it but rather the Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 mark II because it is much lighter.
Apart from ease of use weight considerations cannot be neglected when flying, especially local connecting flights, where the weight restrictions are pretty punishing.

Tony Jay

michael

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 09:41:50 pm »

One more question Michael;
I recall in your earlier article about this lens on the A7II, that you had to input the various focal lengths for the OSS system.
With the E3 adapter is entering the various focal lengths still a requirement?
One would expect that the data transfer via the adapter would permit auto OSS. One can hope at least.

Thanks.

Not sure. I stopped doing it and just leave it on auto.

Michael

dmward

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 09:53:49 am »

Michael, thanks. I expect that the Auto function will work since the A3 adapter transfers other data.

Jeff, I had the 120-300 Sigma for Canon along with the two sigma teleconverters. They worked well on my 5DIII. I sold the lens. Based on your experience I probably should have kept it. It is heavy.

JNHenry

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 06:43:04 pm »

dmward,

Hard to see the future and decide what lenses to keep on the off chance they might be useful with another system down the road.

I'm quite pleased with the lens and the teleconvertors.  Using the 2x teleconvertor, I was able to accuratly track fast running warthogs and antelope attempting to flee chasing lions at 600mm and f/8 while getting totally accurate focus.  Not sure that would happen using the metabones adaptor, but one can hope.

I'm selling most of my Nikon gear and completing the transition to Sony.  For now, I'm going to keep the D810 and the Sigma 120-300 to use in Africa again...until I can really test out how quickly it would focus on a a7rII with Metabones adaptor, or until someone comes out with a great Nikon-FE adaptor.  The lens is big and heavy, but it is so versatile!

Cheers,

Jeff

dmward

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 07:21:41 pm »

Jeff,
I did like the lens on the 5DIII. the teleconverters were well matched and delivered sharp images as well.

I did see an announcement on Sony Rumors about a Nikon to Sony E adapter in development. So, maybe you'll be lucky.

I have a Metabones IV and so far its a disappointment regarding AF with the Canon lenses I still have.

dmward

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 08:10:02 pm »

Here is a composite that includes a car shot with the 150-600.
I think it was about 300-350, F8, ISO 800, Av which gave a shutter speed around 1/1000.
Camera was on a monopod with a gimbal. Setup similar to the one Michael wrote an article about last fall.

I noticed with looking at the burst images from each pass that the first image is sharp and the others are less so. At first I thought it was my panning technique. Now I'm thinking it may be that the lens only focuses on the first image in a high speed burst. I didn't realize until I did some more fiddling with settings that either H or L burst can be selected.

I like the lens, wish I could get a good feel for its performance at 600mm. Maybe tomorrow at the BMW championship. It will be without a mono or ti-pod.

Pages: [1]   Go Up