Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Body with one lens  (Read 15096 times)

EinstStein

Body with one lens
« on: September 05, 2015, 06:06:18 pm »

Since moved into digital camera, I found l rarely switching lens. I happen to use mostly super wide to moderaewide, 17~35mm. I might be as happy to stay with 24mm~85mm.
In fact I start to wonder which way would be more conveninece, to carry one body with 2 lenses or simply carry two modies each with a fixed attached lens. One with the most frequently used zoom, whole the other with a carefully selected prime.

Do you have the same issue? 

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Body with one lens
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 08:16:47 pm »

My first DSLR was a Canon 10D, with a small sensor. I soon collected a 17-40mm zoom, a 50mm fixed lens, and a 70-200mm zoom. But most of the time (probably more than 90% of my photos), I just used the 17-40.

When I upgraded to a full-frame Canon 5D, I added a 100mm macro lens and a 24-104mm zoom, as well as a 15mm fisheye lens. Since then 90% of my photos are with the 24-105mm zoom, and mostly near the 24mm end.

So I should really sell all the lenses I don't use. In my experience a good zoom lens of the range you use most is more useful than any prime lens, since the prime lens you have with you is seldom exactly right for the scene you want to photograph.

My current Canon is a 5D mark II, and the only lens I need is the 24-105.

I have recently acquired a Sony RX10, which has a built-in 24-200mm (equivalent) zoom, which I now use even more than the Canon.

As is often said, the best camera is the one you have with you.

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 01:45:44 pm by Eric Myrvaagnes »
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 11:56:38 am »

For my Fuji X-T1 (APS-C) I find myself using my 18-135 mm (27-206 EFL) the most.  It handles most situations very nicely.    I have the 10-24 mm and 60 mm but the 18-135 is what's on the cameral by default.  I haul out my Canon gear (reluctantly  :)) when the situation requires it. 
Regards,
Ron

Herbc

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 12:34:35 pm »

I like the Sony A7II with a 16-35 for daylight and landscapes 8)

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 04:15:37 pm »

For my rangefinder stuff I like to carry two cameras, typically one with a ~35mm equiv. lens and the other with a ~65mm equiv. Sometimes I'll go with a ~45/120mm equiv. dual-camera/lens rig instead. I have wider RF lenses but rarely use 'em. Most often, regardless of camera system, I prefer to pick one lens (or camera/lens combo) and mostly stick with it. The lens can be a zoom or a single-focal-length…I'll do a mental coin flip before pic-taking and go with whatever the "coin" chooses.

-Dave-
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 03:35:07 pm by Telecaster »

EinstStein

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 04:43:46 pm »

In fact, I agree two RF bodies with two primes can be the best. For me it would be 90mm/f2.8 + 24mm/2.8  or 35mm/f2.
24mm or 35mm is hard to choose, I know I should be able to settle with any between 24, 28 or 35mm.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 07:49:36 pm »

Although I had some issues with the X-T1 after the 4.0 firmware (mainly focus) in a recent trip I have been quite impressed with the 23 1.4. It does most things well. It doesn't have the occasional charm of the 35 1.4 but it works great in most scenarios. And with X-T1 or the X-E2 it's not that big.

For a 2 cameras with prime lenses scenario you can use the 56 1.2 on another body.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 02:41:52 am »

For the little it's worth I find I end up with Fuji X100 plus XPro with either 12 or 60 on it assuming it's a full expedition. Same happened when I had a DSLR, I ended up with X100 with its fixed 23mm and a Pentax 70mm most of the time. However, I tend to stick with only the X100 75% of the time as you have a limited tool and work with that thinking about the image not the technicals. Definitely wouldn't suit everyone though.

EinstStein

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 12:26:14 pm »

with 23mm and 56mm on aps-c you have the classical 35mm/90mm golden pair. 
With most modern 28mm or 24mm (equivalent), the distortion  may be greatly reduced, particular when using the proprietory on camera compensation, I found it is much more pleasant to replace 35mm with 28mm. or even 24mm. The main reservation is the want of the very spacial pleasing defocus rendering that some Leica summicron 35mm offerred. But that is special case for leica M only.

I dont have a chance to explore other chioices, but how is the 28mm or 24mm equivalent prime is APS-C and A7xx? good to replace 35mm as the primary wide angle lens?

armand

• Photos
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 04:53:35 pm »

The Fuji has the 16mm 1.4 (24 equivalent) which gets very good reviews with the exception of coma. The 18mm 2.0 (27-28 equiv) gets so so reviews, the main complaint being that is not as sharp as the others.

scooby70

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 05:52:43 pm »

I've often gone out with one prime mounted and onother one, two or three in the bag but more often I decide what I'm going to use and just take the one lens.

At the moment I have a 35mm f2.8 on my A7, a 17mm f1.8 on my GX7 and a 50mm f2.8 macro on my G1.

EinstStein

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 08:10:25 pm »

Zeiss Zm 25mm 2.8 is an excellent lens on my M9. This is the widest I want to go without exgternal VF.
Ever tried it  A7X? too wide for the sensor?

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 11:47:07 am »

In my 20+ years as a hobbyist photographer, I rarely had more than 2 cameras plus 3 lenses combination. Sometimes one camera with standard zoom and one camera with telezoom. Sometimes one camera with wide angle prime and one camera with tele prime.

It depends. Today I still use two cameras and 3 lenses... for landscapes, one camera with wide angle prime and one camera with telezoom. Then it is the standard fast prime lens for the system.

Done.

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 02:33:11 pm »

I've often gone out with one prime mounted and onother one, two or three in the bag but more often I decide what I'm going to use and just take the one lens.

At the moment I have a 35mm f2.8 on my A7, a 17mm f1.8 on my GX7 and a 50mm f2.8 macro on my G1.

As a fun shooter these days, I never go out with a camera bag. It, as with a tripod, is the spiritual kiss of death to me. One body with one prime; you select which before you go, on the day. I have sometimes had a vague idea of something I might want to shoot the next day, set up the appropriate outfit that night, and come morning, if I go out with the camera at all, it's invariably with a different camera/lens configuration. One camera can be a pain in the butt, but as we don't yet have them implanted in our skulls (do we?), something is still necessary if we want our 'seeing' to live beyond the moment... often, we shouldn't have bothered with illusions about immortality.

Rob C

Telecaster

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 03:40:00 pm »

I find I often see better with a "wrong" lens. Usually this means having a wider lens on the camera or being farther away than I'd opt for, given the choice, when interesting subject matter presents itself. My tendency is to compose tightly when I can. This mostly works well, yet many of my own-favorite photos are wider—out of necessity rather than choice—compositions. I suspect this is because they break with my preconceptions of what such photos "should" be, and yet still clearly work. At a biochemical level they likely generate a stronger dopamine hit. Anyway, because of this I sometimes make myself use a wider lens than I feel like using.

-Dave-

EinstStein

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 07:46:34 pm »

How interesting. I too find a wrong lens often gives surpisingly interesting shots.
Or a wrong shooting angle, or a click at the wrong moment ... I though I missed the good one but the unexpected one turns out to be better.

How bored if our life is as exactly as planed.

I guess that is why I rarely find "good" pictures from commercial shots. ... it is all well planned, but lack of artistic surprise.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 07:48:32 pm by EinstStein »

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 11:34:50 am »

How interesting. I too find a wrong lens often gives surpisingly interesting shots.
Or a wrong shooting angle, or a click at the wrong moment ... I though I missed the good one but the unexpected one turns out to be better.

How bored if our life is as exactly as planed.

I guess that is why I rarely find "good" pictures from commercial shots. ... it is all well planned, but lack of artistic surprise.

I think you have a point, in fact I'm sure that you do.

This didn't use to be the case back when; I see it more a result of the digital age and too much pre-and post-production value added, just like the tax, and to the same result: top-heavy productions.

If you have a look at Vogues of then and now, this is very clearly seen. Where photographers flew by the seat of their pants, there was inevitably surprise, both ways. But the point is, nobody stopped the flow of the moment to consult a bloody monitor before taking the next step in the 'construction' of the same, single image. It was about reality, albeit with lots of Max Factor, but I'd rather too much of Maxie any day to plastic, a 'look' which I sort of see as already starting to be a bit démodé, as it were.

Then think of the poor model: first she has to tune to the photographer, whom she may never have met before, then to what he wants from what she gives, which lets her fine-tune the rest of what she feels is wanted from her. Was a time snappers and muses worked almost exclusively together; now, they seldom see the same person twice. You need only consider Bailey and Shrimpton, Donovan and Celia Hammond (after her time working with Parkinson), John Cowan and Jill Kennington; it rolls on and on, and I was no different either. That way, people developed a photo-shorthand, where the snapper moved his foot and the girl instantly knew the style to which he hinted. You can't do that with total strangers, the mechanism doesn't exist. Only knowing someone well brings that ease of fruitful co-operation. (In my own case, bring in an AD and he might as well have shot the thing himself.) It was bad enough having to stop for film, but at least that let you do twelve or thirty-six more shots uninterrupted. Work tethered, and who knows how often you might have to pause for 'consultation'; you may not even be given the flow of a length of film. How does either model or snapper maintain continuity and enthusiasm? I would never have fitted the mould.

But that's the professional world; for the amateur the stakes are something quite different.

Rob C

SZRitter

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 12:03:48 pm »

I think you have a point, in fact I'm sure that you do.

This didn't use to be the case back when; I see it more a result of the digital age and too much pre-and post-production value added, just like the tax, and to the same result: top-heavy productions.

If you have a look at Vogues of then and now, this is very clearly seen. Where photographers flew by the seat of their pants, there was inevitably surprise, both ways. But the point is, nobody stopped the flow of the moment to consult a bloody monitor before taking the next step in the 'construction' of the same, single image. It was about reality, albeit with lots of Max Factor, but I'd rather too much of Maxie any day to plastic, a 'look' which I sort of see as already starting to be a bit démodé, as it were.

Then think of the poor model: first she has to tune to the photographer, whom she may never have met before, then to what he wants from what she gives, which lets her fine-tune the rest of what she feels is wanted from her. Was a time snappers and muses worked almost exclusively together; now, they seldom see the same person twice. You need only consider Bailey and Shrimpton, Donovan and Celia Hammond (after her time working with Parkinson), John Cowan and Jill Kennington; it rolls on and on, and I was no different either. That way, people developed a photo-shorthand, where the snapper moved his foot and the girl instantly knew the style to which he hinted. You can't do that with total strangers, the mechanism doesn't exist. Only knowing someone well brings that ease of fruitful co-operation. (In my own case, bring in an AD and he might as well have shot the thing himself.) It was bad enough having to stop for film, but at least that let you do twelve or thirty-six more shots uninterrupted. Work tethered, and who knows how often you might have to pause for 'consultation'; you may not even be given the flow of a length of film. How does either model or snapper maintain continuity and enthusiasm? I would never have fitted the mould.

But that's the professional world; for the amateur the stakes are something quite different.

Rob C

Funny, I have noticed something similar in my switch back to film for personal work. When you just take a shot real quick, and then move on, not look at the result in the screen, it seems to leave me feeling much more like I am part of the place I am experiencing. There is a lot less "did I get the shot" and much more "what's happening around me". That, and I am re-learning to give up some control to the medium and focus less on perfect control and more on content.

As for a single lens, half my cameras only have a single lens, and the others, usually I only carry a single lens. There is something liberating about only using one lens and not worrying. When we become too focused on the task and gear, we miss the life going on around us.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 02:11:37 pm »

Interesting question.  I have a bunch a Nikkor lenses for my D300 and if I'm in the field shooting I routinely have them in a backpack with me.  When we travel to Europe I slim things down and in the past have taken a 16-85 zoom, 24mm prime and sometimes a 50mm prime.  this past May when we went to Paris I took only the zoom.  I just checked LR to see what focal length the top 36 images were taken with.  70% were between 16-30mm!  Certainly this surprised me.  I'm going out to California at the end of the month for my 50th high school reunion and think I'll only take the 24mm and either get closer or further away from the object I'm shooting (just like in the really old days).  It will certainly be lighter than packing the zoom and an additional lens.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 07:50:20 pm »

Alan,

one thing to bear in mind is the location.
In Paris (and many other cities), the wide angle lens is indeed more suitable for photographing buildings and street scenes, whereas in California wide spaces, a 50mm or longer lens might get more use.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up