Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whatever Happened to Samsung NX-1?  (Read 7616 times)

BradSmith

Whatever Happened to Samsung NX-1?
« on: August 31, 2015, 04:04:39 am »

Late last year, this camera debuted to excellent reviews, including a very positive Initial Impression by Michael.  Since then, there has been little or no talk about it here on LULA.  Anyone using it?  Your impressions?  Why has the early buzz seamed to have fizzled out?
Brad

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Whatever Happened to Samsung NX-1?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 05:24:02 am »

Late last year, this camera debuted to excellent reviews, including a very positive Initial Impression by Michael.  Since then, there has been little or no talk about it here on LULA.  Anyone using it?  Your impressions?  Why has the early buzz seamed to have fizzled out?
Brad

My guess would be that the NX1 is selling like hot cakes in Korea, South east Asia and India at least...

... but chances are that most people here at LL are already very well equipped with gear doing as good or better than the NX1 for still photography. The camera looks nice, but I would not seriously consider switching to Samsung.

Perhaps those interested in video have a different view.

Cheers,
Bernard

jwstl

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 11:33:43 am »

I'm in the process of switching from Nikon to the NX1 for the majority of my work. I'm not a pro anymore but I still shoot a lot and am pretty good at it. I love the image quality/size ratio of the NX1 compared to my Nikon gear: D7100 and D800e. There isn't a huge difference in size and weight between the D7100, but it's enough to make a difference to my ailing back. The 2 S lenses (16-50 2/2.8 and 50-150 2.8) have great IQ, focus very quickly, and provide some weight savings compared to my Nikon equivalents. The 60 macro and 85 1.4 are as good as any equivalent lenses I've tried but they do leave a bit to be desired when focusing in low light. But they are so worth it. Samsung has some very nice small/pancake lenses but I rarely use those with the NX1. I take them along with the NX500 when I travel. I also have a grip (rarely used) and an L-bracket when I need them. There are a number of limitations with the Samsung system: limited TTL flashes, quality lenses past 150mm, fast wide angle, third party lens support. I do have an adapter that allows me to use some of my legacy Nikon lenses with the NX1. Anything with an aperture ring works perfectly fine...MF of course. Anyway...for the work that I do now the Samsung system is excellent. I hope Samsung sticks with the NX line because it really is a nice system. There have been rumors of additional lens announcements this year and I hope they are true. I'd like to round out the system a bit more and sell off even more of my Nikon gear. I will probably keen a Nikon body and 3 or 4 lenses but the rest will be gone soon.

MarkL

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 11:35:15 am »

It sounded very promising but I guess a largeish and expensive crop sensor camera with limited lens line will only convert so many.

I hope they get a full frame version soon, we need more than just Sony to challenge the more-of-the-same SLRs from Canon and Nikon.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 02:31:00 am »

Looks interesting, but it's a big leap from Canon/Nikon to such a small system like the Samsung.
Also, the market is clearly getting a bit crowded..

JaapD

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 04:04:01 am »

I had high hopes for the NX1 together with the two S lenses and I really wanted to buy into this system. Unfortunately the 16-50 2/2.8 did not perform well. Near the frame edges and corners the lens had bad MTF numbers and was only able to solve only about 6 Mpix. What's the use of a 28Mpix camera when the lens performs so badly? Ultimately for me this was a NOGO.

jwstl

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 02:55:07 pm »

The lens does not perform "badly" at all. It is weak in the corners at 50mm but the rest of the focal lengths are quite good. Also, most of the testers in the reviews I read used one of the older 20Mpx cameras (NX20 or NX30) not the NX1. Anyway, I actually own one and use it all the time. Other than the edges at 50mm (my least used focal length) it's great. 

Tony Ventouris Photography

• http://TonyVentourisPhotography.com
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 03:41:59 pm »

I spent time with the X-T1, NX1, and E-M1.  X-T1 lost due to image rendering with lightroom...  It clearly had weird smudging in fine detail.  I had the E-m1 and NX1 back to back for about a week.  I ended up with the E-m1.  For what I do, the NX1 just had a few odd quirks that didn't work for me.  It was also bulkier and the viewfinder wasn't as pleasing.  The E-m1's quality I found much more pleasing in the image despite the resolution discrepancy.  And to be honest...i must be one of the few.... but I love the E-M1 options system and customization ability.     

qwz

• http://vassiliev.net
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 12:12:58 am »

I heard that its not sales well except Asia. Samsungs predictions was far better, times better.
Now the cut internal funding of the division and slows future development.
Pages: [1]   Go Up