Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OS X Photos metadata lost in Shared folders  (Read 16468 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
OS X Photos metadata lost in Shared folders
« on: August 29, 2015, 11:21:42 am »

Hi All

As you know, I use LR for everything, but I share photos with the rest of the family across various devices through Photos. But Photos seems to strip the metadata (titles, captions, keywords, etc.) from photos in the "Shared" folders. The metadata still exists in the original photos (within "Photos" section of Photos app - I know, very confusing), but the same photo in a Shared folder has the metadata stripped.

Has anyone found a solution to this very frustrating problem? What am I missing? My family would like the photos with the Metadata!

Thanks
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: OS X Photos metadata lost in Shared folders
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 06:55:45 pm »

Hi,
Well i have never used Photos and probably never will. (Can you even use a common noun as a product name?)
However in Aperture when you export as a JPG there is is an option to tick to "Include Metadata"

Maybe there is that option if you are going from raw at least.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

rob211

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 01:22:21 pm »

There are a bunch of steps that might have caused the problem.

But how are you using Photos? is it referencing the same images as Lr? are the shared images exports from Photos? are they shared via iCloud Photo Library?

Photos seems to preserve keywords when I import a referenced image, although I haven't figured out how to update any metadata without reimporting. Sharing over iCloud might produce a new file, and it might strip metadata by default for privacy reasons without a change to prevent that. Just a hypothesis based on other issues I've had with it.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 11:25:04 pm »

Thanks for your ideas, a Rob.

I am exporting 3000px files from Lightroom, with full metadata, then importing them into Photos. The full metadata is still with the photo until I plVe it in a shared folder with Photos. That's when the metadata loss occurs.

Bob - there is no where to specify that metadata is kept.

I'll keep looking, but it seems like you may be correct, Rob, about the metadata being stripped for privacy.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

francois

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 05:34:15 am »

Terry, I have no solution for you but I played a few seconds with Photos & sharing and noticed some strange things. I had an old jpeg file in some folder and tried to drag it to my shared folder…
Getting the info of the "same" image gives me different metadatas. File size is different, ISO setting also and lens info is missing (see screenshot). Now, if I use right-click on the file to share it, the file size is different but lens, ISO info are identical.

I've also noticed that if I drag an iPhone jpeg from Photos to the desktop, GPS info is lost. Using right-click and share preserves GPS info…

I just tried on a couple of files so this isn't scientific at all and it may be something on my Mac only, who knows.

??? ??? ???
Francois

seosp4

• Happy New Year 2016
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 02:34:51 am »

Same problem is happened to me.
Thanks for giving this solution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up