Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange edge effect with ACR but not with NX2  (Read 46306 times)

Cornfield

Strange edge effect with ACR but not with NX2
« on: August 28, 2015, 06:11:16 pm »

The attached image shows a comparison of opening a file into Photoshop via Camera Raw and the same file viewed in NX2. The blue logo and text looks correct in NX2 but in CR there is a distinct black stoke inside of the blue. I have tried changing lots of settings in Camera Raw and also LR to remove the black stoke but nothing makes a significant change.

I have seen a similar effect with a few images recently but this is the worst example.

The other example attached is of a pink jacket with large white spots but also shots the stroke effect.  Both example files were shot with a D800 but same issue with files from D610.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Strange edge effect with ACR but not with NX2
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 06:29:03 pm »

There is a similar effect, though in printing, as discussed in this thread:

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=100642.msg824276#msg824276

I believe the conclusions was it must be a faulty printer profile. Not sure what is going on in your case, since you are seeing it already on-screen, but it probably has something to do with different color spaces used by different programs.

Some Guy

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 10:24:36 pm »

My wild hunch would be some Chromatic Aberration setting in ACR is set wrong in your "Lens" tab while you were in there.  I recall some video where you can use the ALT/OPT key to see the amount of CA and adjust it manually in ACR (That Alt/Opt key in the Lens CA section can draw a nice wide gray border indicating where the CA exists to manually tune them out.).  Might be worth a shot to look at the settings in there.  Perhaps wrong lens is showing, or your manually changed the hues there too much.  The more off axis from center your images are the worse it gets and no telling as to the lens used (Quality? Wide angle? Large aperture?).

Imho, sometimes the "Do-them-all" 3rd party RAW converters just don't work as well as the ones designed from the manufacturers.  I also favor Capture NX-D for initial RAW work as it also does the Nikon PF lens stuff to their 300mm f/4 PF (Fresnel) lens, but I also use the older Capture NX-2 more as I can't live without the "NIK Control Points" in it, and it doesn't do the new PF lens corrections either.  Can't win.

SG

Cornfield

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 04:14:33 am »

PROBLEM SOLVED

A few weeks ago I installed a trial version of On1 Photo Suite and after removing this and re-importing the original NEF's the problem had gone.

Thanks for your help on this issue.

Steve House

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 08:56:39 am »

Maybe I'm just seeing things but to my eyes there appears to be a white outline around the arrow in the NX example that is missing from the ACR example.

red2

• http://
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 02:23:41 pm »

Maybe I'm just seeing things but to my eyes there appears to be a white outline around the arrow in the NX example that is missing from the ACR example.

I also see that. And there appears to be something similar at the inner edges of the text ("STEEL FABRICATION") within the arrow. There seem to be hints of this effect in the Camera Raw image, but much less pronounced.
Regards,
Bob D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up