Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon G3x sRGB color space for RAW files  (Read 3677 times)

Frank Kolwicz

Canon G3x sRGB color space for RAW files
« on: August 20, 2015, 06:53:34 pm »

I just spent 20 minutes with Canon support and they tell me that all in-camera files, including RAW, are in sRGB color space and can only use Adobe1998 or larger color spaces by conversion, in other words, they can never be better than sRGB.

stamper

Re: Canon G3x sRGB color space for RAW files
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 06:29:11 am »

Raw doesn't have a colour space???

Dave Ellis

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 06:29:30 am »

I just spent 20 minutes with Canon support and they tell me that all in-camera files, including RAW, are in sRGB color space and can only use Adobe1998 or larger color spaces by conversion, in other words, they can never be better than sRGB.

Gee I'm not sure about that advice Frank. My understanding with raw files in general (and I don't see why the G3 would be an exception), is that there is no "standard" colour space such as sRGB assigned to a raw file in camera and you can assign any colour space that is available in the raw processor. eg in ACR you can assign colour spaces such as sRGB, Adobe 1998 or ProPhoto RGB.

Dave

graeme

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 06:31:08 am »

Gee I'm not sure about that advice Frank. My understanding with raw files in general (and I don't see why the G3 would be an exception), is that there is no "standard" colour space such as sRGB assigned to a raw file in camera and you can assign any colour space that is available in the raw processor. eg in ACR you can assign colour spaces such as sRGB, Adobe 1998 or ProPhoto RGB.

Dave
That's my understanding too.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 10:44:37 am »

Yeah, well however you spoke to didn't provide correct info.
Raw data has as yet, no defined color space let alone sRGB and can be rendered to color spaces other than sRGB.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Frank Kolwicz

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 02:46:28 pm »

The reason I questioned this is because when the .CR2 file is opened in DPP4 (latest update) is shows the file as sRGB and then allows "conversion" to other color spaces.  When I examined .CR2 and biggest JPEGs shot simultaneously the only difference I could see between the 20 Meg and 9 Meg files was a slight bit of sharpness.

I don't think there is any real reason to expect proprietary RAW files like Canon's .CR2 to be free of manipulations. I remember reading on some reliable website that there are some alterations from pure sensor output. .CR2 is not .RAW and isn't really raw. After all, they all require software updates to handle each new version of .CR2 that Canon produces. .CR2 isn't even .CR2 from one camera to another.

LenRentals staff says that all PowerShot cameras are basically sRGB devices.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 02:50:13 pm »

LenRentals staff says that all PowerShot cameras are basically sRGB devices.
I don't know squat about all (any) PowerShot cameras but if any of them produce a raw file, LensRentals is absolutely wrong.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

aduke

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 05:32:07 pm »

Well, my wife's Canon Powershot SX50 HS does output .CR2 data. I handle it perfectly well in LR.

Alan

David Good

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 05:49:34 pm »

The reason I questioned this is because when the .CR2 file is opened in DPP4 (latest update) is shows the file as sRGB

That is simply showing the jpeg color space you selected in the camera's menu, the other option is Adobe RGB. DPP4 will also show what you have selected in the preferences as your working space (ie: Wide Gamut RGB). If working on raw files then don't worry about it.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 07:03:05 pm »

....  When I examined .CR2 and biggest JPEGs shot simultaneously the only difference I could see between the 20 Meg and 9 Meg files was a slight bit of sharpness....

Of course, since you are looking at essentially the same thing.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 04:58:46 am »

Of course, since you are looking at essentially the same thing.

That's correct.

The suggestion that the Raws have an sRGB colorspace is probably nonsense anyway. It's actually more difficult to restrict the capture of a Bayer CFA sensor to only fill the sRGB colorspace, rather than let it capture in its much larger and complex native 'Camera Colorspace', and have Rawconversion software convert it to whatever colorspace is offered. I'm not saying that it would be impossible to convert to sRGB output, but that would not be Raw in the traditional sense. And doing such a conversion in camera, would require useless processing capacity and drain battery capacity.

It's more likely that mention of sRGB has to do with the embedded thumbnail in the Raw data file.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up