Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm starting to get some B&W landscapes I'd like to print.  (Read 12744 times)

Stardog2

• I look good fat, I'm gonna look good old . . .
    • My Dynamic Range
I'm starting to get some B&W landscapes I'd like to print.
« on: August 17, 2015, 09:48:56 am »

I think a few of my favorite m4/3s B&W photos are starting to display well on Flickr, etc.  I've never been much of a printer, partly because I never could quite get the results I like. (very close, but never quite close enough).

From my past printing experiences both on the ink jet at home and with commercial printers for color, I feel that I need to over sharpen just a bit, to get the sharpness I see on screen.  I also feel that sometimes, with the commercial printers especially, that the prints often lack the contrast that I think the originals had.  I have sometimes wondered if that was a result of the over sharpening I did.  I am aware that 'sharpening' in PP is really a form of selectively adding contrast to edges of objects and I wonder if the reduced contrast is some sort of correction applied by the commercial printer.

For a couple of my B&W photos, I would like the highest quality B&W prints possible.  Any advice on how to properly prepare such a photo for commercial printing?  I am currently using ACDSee Ultimate 8 and am comfortable with using its toolset to its fullest capabilities if that makes a difference.  I also do not plan on ordering print sizes larger than would be appropriate for display on typical home walls. No murals, more like gift sized prints and smaller.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Herbc

Re: I'm starting to get some B&W landscapes I'd like to print.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 09:57:54 am »

A primer on how to do digital prints, Paul Caponigro had one that is pretty good.  You might try the NIK software package, especially their Silver EFX, which will give you a lot of image variation.  Of course lightroom is the basic step, and from there you would branch out. 
I have been printing digital for over ten years, and if I ever use a commercial printer, I have to take them a proof to go by or their work won't match up.

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 11:20:51 am »

Nik works well.  If you use a Mac you might also consider MacPhun Tonality or Tonality Pro.  One of the beauties of Tonality Pro is the availability of layers. 

http://macphun.com/tonality
Regards,
Ron

davemiller

• Davids
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 12:27:15 pm »

Lightroom will give top quality exhibition prints. It's the work flow leading to the action of printing to ensure that what you see on your screen is what is reproduced on paper with due allowances for the different mediums that is important.
Regards Dave

Paul Roark

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 12:32:49 pm »

For the very best, consider learning how to do B&W printing yourself.  My current approaches are documented at http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/ .

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up