Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Correct way to use a Colorchecker Passport in a cross polarized lighting setup.  (Read 7816 times)

John V.

I photograph my artwork using a polarizing filter to knock out reflections. It's controlled lighting ~5k + polarizing filters on the lights/camera. This adds a lot of contrast and saturation to the images (I think this is the way to describe it), which I adjust in ACR. I have been using the Passport only to set white balance using the Adobe Standard camera profile. I shoot the Passport every session.

I want to start using the Passport to create custom camera profiles now, but I'm confused about a couple of things. I was hoping for some tips for using this combination of technologies.

Would the use of a Passport custom camera profile automatically correct for the saturation added by the polarizing filter? I'm kind of lost in the processes here.  

Quick rundown of how I think it should work: Shoot a properly exposed RAW of Passport with polarizing filter @~90% (to allow for a little reflection). Export a dng from ACR.. this would be the file used to create the custom profile, create custom profile. Shoot RAWs of artwork and Passport using same camera settings, open (the artwork image, plus Passport image) in ACR, select the newly created custom profile, and apply proper white balance using WB select tool on the Passport.

Am I doing this correctly? Is there any way I can fine tune this process for more accurate results?

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 07:10:35 pm by John V. »

AlterEgo

read this lengthy topic = http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=100015.0 , you might not want to use Adobe Standard profile as a basis for a reproduction work (including creating custom profiles using DNG PE with AS as a base profile).

Paul Wright

I shoot for a lot of artists & galleries. My default (which does need to be varied depending on the works, surface, impasto, gloss levels etc) is with a CPL on the camera and polarizing gels on the lights. This is perfect for flat surfaces with little gloss. Glossy, black heavy impasto surfaces are challenging. Something else to watch is that most metallic paints even in the under-surface can read as black when polarized, so watch it if confronted with any level of metallics!

ColorCheckerPassport is used for every session to create a custom profile. Most of the artists, galleries and printers are happy with the results which may be used for catalogs, DL flyers, sales of valuable works or for books. Having a knowledge of how files will reproduce is helpful. If I keep the works utterly and completely true, they can look a little lackluster once printed CMYK or in web display. I like to go for that handy balance of being substantially true to the work but also optimizing for a satisfying print/web result. You obviously can't go telling great big lies about the work, but the intention is to attract and hold a potential buyers attention enough to either click through, visit the gallery or call to make an appointment to view the actual work. Book work should be processed appropriate to the media and target market.

I create the profile by dragging a dng straight onto the ColorCheckerPassport window and it pretty much does the rest, delivering a profile straight into Lr. It's not rocket science or anything I invented...I just follow the recommended steps.

-pw

John V.

Thanks for the input...

I'll experiment with dcamprof for sure.

I think I'm going follow up on this more once I do some more experimenting and figure out what my real questions are.

For now, I'd like to throw this out there...

So, if I capture the colorchecker, apply proper white balance, and then open up in PS.. is it correct to figure that if the white swatch is registering in the 240-250 range and the black swatch is registering in the 10-15 range that I'm using the correct exposure settings?

This is my noob logic.... Are there other variables here that I'm not taking into account?

Please see the two attached images.

John V.

Yeah PW, I had a piece that was signed with a metallic gold marker and the signature just disappeared.

This was curious to me also. Seen in the attached pic using a threshold layer, some of the blacks in the painting, as well as my velcro strips, and around the edges of the Passport are being knocked out even before the black swatches show up. This is backing off on the CPL just a tad.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:57:16 am by John V. »

AlterEgo

So, if I capture the colorchecker, apply proper white balance, and then open up in PS.. 

with which DCP profile and which ACR settings ? more sense is to use rawdigger ( www.rawdigger.com ) or even fastrawviewer ( www.fastrawviewer.com ) to see how close you are to the clipping in raw for your camera ( I thing I remember Iliah Borg posted recently somewhere /was it @ dpreview ?/ about how close it makes sense to get to the clipping for various cameras based on how things are near clipping, with illustration about raw histogramm from rawdigger - I don't have that link handy )

AlterEgo

Are there other variables here that I'm not taking into account?

loss of contrast and parasitic color reflections ... I ended up shooting in a room draped in black matte cloth hanging all over the setup (unfortunately I can't paint the walls) and wearing all black... almost a devil worshipping scene  :D

BobDavid

Fine art repro is an art and a science. Back in the day when I had a repro studio, I polarized the lights and the camera lens. One trick to bring out texture is to rotate the gel on one of the lights a bit so that just enough texture comes through. It's a good idea to shoot the artwork with a fully cross-polarized setup first and then take another exposure with one gel rotated--maybe 45 degrees. Take the two photos and stack them as layers in Photoshop. Then blend, using luminance, to bring up the texture.

I was fortunate to have a Hasselblad  CF39-MS back mounted onto a custom pancake camera. My main lens was a 72mm Digitar (with an electronic shutter) set in a helical mount. Hasselblad's Truecolor profile was better than any of my profiles. I always set Phocus to process the FFF files in "reproduction" mode. The files were flat, but color sensitivity was linear. That gave me a lot of flexibility when it came time to work on the files in Photoshop.

It is often impossible to make a 95% accurate reproduction. The artists who mixed and matched different brands of paint made it difficult. Also, some oil paint and acrylic paint colors are out of gamut. And back in the day, I used Eizo sRGB monitors. So that's where the science came in. I learned how to use numbers to make adjustments. I often worked by the numbers in LAB and would then often dance back and forth between different color spaces (this requires a good working knowledge of sRGB, aRGB, CYMK, and LAB so as not to lose data).

And of course printer pigments are not the same as paint pigments. So it can be a challenge to manage color throughout the workflow. My pickiest clients were nonprofessionals. Most professional artists who sell their art (originals and reproductions) generally "get it" and will accept "pleasing color" rather than super duper accurate color.

If a client requested 95% fidelity, I billed color matching at $125/hour. For awhile, I was happy earning $$$ tinkering around with an amateur's pride and joy (I serviced clients who were able to afford it. I mostly turned down jobs form starving artists, students, and extremely naive people). But eventually, despite the $$$, I started referring picky, picky clients to my competitor. Funny thing, my competitor would send his picky icky clients over to me.

My best clients were businesses, universities, and archivists. I enjoyed working with professional artists too. I treated my clients with respect and let them decide how much they wanted to spend on accuracy. It's the last +/- 5% that often eats up 90% of a budget. Charcoals, chalk pastels and watercolors are much simpler to work with.

I eventually stopped making canvas prints. Fortunately, most of my repeat customers were strictly interested in digital files or prints on fine art paper. Soon after that, my restoration business took off and I made a business decision to get out of reproduction altogether. It was a wise decision.

It takes thousands of hours of experience to get extremely proficient/efficient in this type of work. I stuck with it for a few years before it became profitable. It's a good idea to keep a couple printers up and running.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 01:29:05 am by BobDavid »

BobDavid

If I were an artist strictly interested in copying my work, I'd us an Olympus OMD-EM 5 II and shoot in high-res mode. The pixel-shift aka multi-shot technology yields excellent color and micro contrast. Match the body with an Oly 60mm macro or a 75mm f/1.8 and you are good to go. I think the camera/macro lens combo can be had for less than $1,500.
Pages: [1]   Go Up