Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What is street photography?  (Read 54904 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: What is street photography?
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2015, 12:50:52 pm »

My guess- especially if they like the end product - is that sausage makers want to know how the sausage is made.

If someone is a "maker," he by definitions knows it already. Learning how to do a standard, industrial-line product is one thing, learning how to do a great, unique product, is another and... impossible. The most you can hope for by dissecting HCB technique is how to plagiarize it. Just like all those "secrets to success" books... there ain't any (secrets, that is; plenty of books)

Isaac

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2015, 01:32:08 pm »

If someone is a "maker," he by definitions knows it already.
As-you-know that just means someone knows how to make some kinds-of sausage, not all kinds-of sausage.

Learning how to do a standard, industrial-line product is one thing, learning how to do a great, unique product, is another and... impossible.
As-you-know there are many great, unique kinds-of sausage and a long tradition of people learning how to make them.

The most you can hope for by dissecting HCB technique is how to plagiarize it.

I hope to avoid forming a false impression of Cartier-Bresson's photography.

It's unkind of you to imply that Russ and stamper and … are plagiarizing Cartier-Bresson.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2015, 02:15:13 pm »

... It's unkind of you to imply that Russ and stamper and … are plagiarizing Cartier-Bresson.

Since you apparently know what technique HCB used much better than either gentleman, they weren't that privy to the "secret," thus spared the danger of plagiarizing it. You, however, with all that knowledge... ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2015, 02:15:55 pm »

Love your new avatar, Russ. What a distinguished gentleman!

Isaac

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2015, 02:27:38 pm »

Since you apparently know what technique HCB used much better than either gentleman, they weren't that privy to the "secret," thus spared the danger of plagiarizing it.

Mea culpa I did not reflect your comment correctly.

It's unkind of you to imply the most Russ and stamper and … hope for is how to plagiarize Cartier-Bresson.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2015, 02:32:19 pm »

Love your new avatar, Russ. What a distinguished gentleman!

Thanks, Slobodan. Here's a more complete version.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2015, 05:31:16 pm »

Thanks, Slobodan. Here's a more complete version.
Nice portrait.
But where's the street?   ;)
(I guess that's the ambiguity.)

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

stamper

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2015, 03:43:15 am »

Mea culpa I did not reflect your comment correctly.

It's unkind of you to imply the most Russ and stamper and … hope for is how to plagiarize Cartier-Bresson.

Isaac show me the post that shows that I have said anything about Cartier-Bresson.

Isaac

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2015, 11:23:03 am »

Isaac show me the post that shows that I have said anything about Cartier-Bresson.

stamper, no one here need answer your whimsical demands.

If you have a polite question or a polite request for assistance by all means ask.

stamper

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2015, 12:22:44 pm »

stamper, no one here need answer your whimsical demands.

If you have a polite question or a polite request for assistance by all means ask.

I could politely tell you where to go?  :) ;) I will make it easier for you. I haven't said anything about the dead Frenchman that you obviously adore so try not to link me with something I haven't commented on. OK

Isaac

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2015, 01:04:42 pm »

I haven't said anything about the dead Frenchman that you obviously adore so try not to link me with something I haven't commented on. OK

Were you talking about some other Henri?

"Which one should I choose if I want to slavishly follow Henri's advice?"

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2015, 01:08:39 pm »

This thread has gone way off topic.

I posted some quotes from the iN-PUBLIC web site.

There is some great street photography there (and yes Russ, some not so great).

Having looked back at my favourite Australian photography exhibition, Russ has a point. Trent Parke and Narelle Autio's images in the Seventh Wave exhibition show a lot of ambiguity, but they show a lot more.

Probably what the Seventh Wave exhibition showed most is that street could be visually stunning.

I think Trent Parke's photography is great.

I'll be honest I don't read much about street photography. However I have looked at a lot of street photographs. Trent Parke is my favourite Aussie!

I'd rather look at some great street photographs than read this pissing contest!

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 01:19:40 pm by tom b »
Tom Brown

stamper

« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2015, 01:32:48 pm »

Were you talking about some other Henri?

"Which one should I choose if I want to slavishly follow Henri's advice?"

I don't know how many Henri's you know. Do you count them to get to sleep?

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2015, 02:42:39 pm »

This thread has gone way off topic.

I'd rather look at some great street photographs than read this pissing contest!

Cheers

Quite. iN PUBLIC is a joy to view and think about.

Rob C

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2015, 05:58:19 pm »

I think it's largely what you want it to be, but in the end you, the photographer, don't have the say.

http://www.gallery51.com/index.php?navigatieid=9&fotograafid=15

http://fraenkelgallery.com/an-interview-with-garry-winogrand-1981

Leiter was love at first sight, way back in '59 or '60 when I first met him on the pages of Photography Annual or perhaps it was Color Annual - they were both put out by Popular Photography magazine, which I hardy ever found, and the annuals only came my way because I'd haunt the kiosk in Glasgow's Central Station during that period, wishing and hoping I'd find something American and photography-related that I could afford to buy on my apprentice's pay; yep, just like rock 'n' roll then. I seem to remember the Leiter spread in the Annual was entitled 'A Painter's View of New York'.

(Incidently, despite Bailey's access, Leiter shot what I think are the most beautiful images of Shrimpton that I have ever seen.)

Some other, later, gallery-favourite 'street shooters' are credited with being the first to do it in colour; not so: Leiter and Helen Levitt were pioneers.

If you read Winogrand's quotation in the second link, you'll see he had his own thoughts on 'street'...

Thing is, if you are really in the life (in whichever photo-genre) and not the pretence, you just do what you know that you have to do. Simple, really: it's taken out of your hands by your own nature.

Whether you can crack a living at it is neither here nor there; Garry had to teach and do other things just to pay the bills; Arbus killed herself, and many others have followed the route to ending the inner struggle that stops you falling asleep at night and ruins much of your life... and that's why so few people today ever achieve the heights that some old-timers did: they generally can't take the pain, and have a second string that keeps them comfortable so they can go out to play at the weekends. Some call them warriors, I think.

But anyway, folks here only chat about the Americans or the French (real or adopted)) street guys; few are even aware of the Italian school of neo-realist photographers. It's really an immense world if you look for the detail...

Rob
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:00:38 pm by Rob C »

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2015, 07:21:13 pm »

As an Australian I really enjoy Trent Parke's street photography.

Welcome back Rob.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2015, 10:28:16 pm »

Cher Rob,
Finalement ce soir, tu avais une surprise!!!  Donne-nous un peu plus de temps! C'etait bon de te sentir.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:35:18 pm by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~

Rob C

« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2015, 03:47:21 am »

Patricia,

Merci, mais je ne sais pas... plus court le temps que me rest, moins la patience avec les gens qui non me fait heureux.

First time I've attempted that since I was seventeen... humiliating, when I  consider one of my granddaughters spent a year in Paris reading law, in that tongue, and along with a New York girl, came out on top at the end of the course, leaving some native speakers in the dust.  I never shared that gift; the closest I got to it was having no shame about speaking bad Spanish because I realised, pretty soon, that it's about communication, not trying to prove how elegantly one can spout forth. When the other person hasn't a clue about English, he cares even less about the niceties of your grammer - he just wants to be able to know exactly what the hell you want from him. Even if that's just a cup of decaf coffee with milk.

My wife and I thought our school French was 'good enough', and all those years ago it probably was, but when we took our first road trip to Scotland via Fance from here, we realised PDQ that though the ability to read had largely remained, the ability to understand the sounds had not. But so what, those many trips remain my own Route 66 adventure for ever.

Lovely to know you're still cookin' and thanks again for the Leica Dot Coke shot inspiration!

Rob

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:19:19 am by Rob C »

Manoli

« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2015, 03:50:59 am »

Rob!

Had to do a double take ...
So good to see you illuminating these threads once again.

All best,
Manoli

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2015, 06:37:29 am »

(Incidently, despite Bailey's access, Leiter shot what I think are the most beautiful images of Shrimpton that I have ever seen.)

Rob, I was prompted to fill out a gap in my education and look up some of Saul Leiter's photographs of Shrimpton here.
I nearly fell off my chair with one image. It reminds me so much of Bardot. No wonder you liked Leiter's work.  :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up