Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using same catalog with LR CC and LR 6 standalone, attn Chris Kern  (Read 6036 times)

AlRohrer

So I'm running LR CC and PS CC on two computers, images and catalog are on an external hard drive that I switch between computers.
I'm also running LR standalone on a third computer with different images and catalog on a different hard drive.
I've had enough trouble getting this to work so I'm leery about crossing these up and trying to use the standalone catalog with the computer running CC and vice versa. What I'd really like to do is have both catalogs and images work with whichever LR computer (CC or 6) I have them connected to, just like having a second catalog in LR CC only, and not overly complicate things.
If this will work, I also plan to have a third hard drive with a third set of images that have their own catalog that will work with all three computers.
I would like some advice from someone who has done this (if it will work) and I am particularly interested in how Chris Kern runs his as his April post was the one that got me pointed in the right direction.
Thanks,
Al Rohrer

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Using same catalog with LR CC and LR 6 standalone, attn Chris Kern
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 03:39:58 pm »

The only special problems from having both CC and 6 are:

1. You can't sync to/from Lr Mobile on the 6 computer
2. You don't have access to the Dehaze slider on the 6 computer (see here though)

Apart from that, your configuration isn't affected by CC and 6 - you shouldn't confuse your previous problem with the normal difficulties of working on multiple computers. What I would suggest is that you have one catalogue (only) which is attached to whatever computer you are using, and that single catalogue records all photos wherever they are.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 03:55:12 pm by john beardsworth »

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 11:13:04 pm »

I would like some advice from someone who has done this (if it will work) and I am particularly interested in how Chris Kern runs his as his April post was the one that got me pointed in the right direction.

I do pretty much as John Beardsworth suggests, with one minor tweak.  I have only one permanent catalog[ue]; I've never found a reason to maintain more than one.  When I want to process files on a machine that does not have access to it, I export the files I plan to work on as a catalog, copy the exported catalog to the target machine, and import it into the instance of Lightroom on the target.  I subsequently update the source machine with any changes by reversing the process.  In other words, I treat the catalogs on all but one machine as temporary repositories, and delete the transient contents after I have migrated any changes to the permanent catalog. 

When traveling — i.e., when I don't have access to the permanent catalog — I create a temporary catalog on a laptop for new captures.  When I get home, I export the image files and edits, again as a catalog, and import them into the permanent catalog.

This two-way export-import process is a bit clunky, to be sure, but it's not unduly burdensome once you are accustomed to it.  And Lightroom isn't designed with the mechanisms that would allow you to run multiple instances on different computers and update a single catalog asynchronously.

I haven't encountered any issues moving exported catalogs between the Lightroom subscription (CC) and static (6.X) products.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 02:55:38 am »

When traveling — i.e., when I don't have access to the permanent catalog — I create a temporary catalog on a laptop for new captures.  When I get home, I export the image files and edits, again as a catalog, and import them into the permanent catalog.

I did this before smart previews were introduced in Lr5. Now, I take my complete catalogue with smart previews for many thousands of images (based on a smart collection finding starred images and those from the region/subject I'm revisiting). This allows me to copy metadata from previous visits, remind myself of locations, and also meet some needs to play with or output existing pictures. At the end I just copy this catalogue back to my main computer.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 08:40:57 am »

I take my complete catalogue with smart previews for many thousands of images (based on a smart collection finding starred images and those from the region/subject I'm revisiting). This allows me to copy metadata from previous visits, remind myself of locations, and also meet some needs to play with or output existing pictures.

I don't travel with smart previews from my permanent catalog, but before a trip I export my keyword hierarchy and import it into a transient travel catalog, so I'll have all my current keywords available for tagging new captures.  (Your idea of bringing along smart previews of previous images relevant to a trip is interesting, though.)

AlRohrer

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 09:36:13 am »

Thanks John and Chris. Exactly the information I needed. I appreciate it very much.
Al Rohrer

stingray

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 12:44:56 pm »

The Smart Previews is a good concept within Lightroom.  

but because ........
1.   I keep my catelog on an SSD drive on my main workstation
2.   My travel MacAir does not have a lot of spare space
3.   I cannot specify where to store the Smart Previews

I found myself struggling with space management in relation to the Previews (80,000 images in my catelog).   You can do a quick check of the space you might need for your catelog to eliminate this as a possible issue.

When I travel I now create a Catelog just for that trip and import that catelog into my main catelog when I get home.   I do not use keywords, but the idea of importing your keywords into a transient catelog is good.  

Also remember to import the latest version of your Develop and Metadata presets.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:40:58 am by stingray »
Pages: [1]   Go Up