Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7 mk2 Tethering Issues  (Read 3533 times)

peter_c

Sony A7 mk2 Tethering Issues
« on: August 13, 2015, 12:54:53 pm »

I'm a long time Phase One MFDB / C1 user and recently picked up a Sony for personal use.  With a small location job, I decided to go with the Sony and use it tethered.  Running C1 Pro 8.3 and OS X 10.10.4 I came across 2 issues. 

1) Using live view, there is no way to rotate the view, meaning if you shoot in portrait mode, the live view is locked in landscape view.  There is a very recent thread on the Phase forums dealing with this, with Phase suggesting the fault lies with Sony's SDK.  I think that's pretty lame, to suggest their engineers unable to fix a rotation issue.

2) When tethered, every time I turned camera off / on or disconnected the usb cable, the file naming using "camera counter" did not maintain counter sequence; with each start, the counter number seemed random, including previously used numbers.  I've submitted a support case without response yet.

bestimage5353

Re: Sony A7 mk2 Tethering Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 01:14:05 pm »

I have had the similar problem with Canon 5D. I had to make a style for the vertical image to come in each time and use that when i was in portrait mode. Side question here....how do you like the camera?

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 04:26:52 am »

I'm a long time Phase One MFDB / C1 user and recently picked up a Sony for personal use.  With a small location job, I decided to go with the Sony and use it tethered.  Running C1 Pro 8.3 and OS X 10.10.4 I came across 2 issues. 

1) Using live view, there is no way to rotate the view, meaning if you shoot in portrait mode, the live view is locked in landscape view.  There is a very recent thread on the Phase forums dealing with this, with Phase suggesting the fault lies with Sony's SDK.  I think that's pretty lame, to suggest their engineers unable to fix a rotation issue.

2) When tethered, every time I turned camera off / on or disconnected the usb cable, the file naming using "camera counter" did not maintain counter sequence; with each start, the counter number seemed random, including previously used numbers.  I've submitted a support case without response yet.

Hey Peter,

Its not lame when the answer is correct!

We cannot do much (currently) with the live view stream from the A7.  Its pretty much what you see on the display streamed to Capture One.

Your second question is puzzling. If you are indeed using the camera counter, then it should follow.  What token are you using in Next Capture naming.

Why not use a job name and simple digit counter as an alternative?  Does it need to be the camera's number system?

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

peter_c

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 12:04:15 pm »

David,

1) Your answer suggests your engineers are unable to incorporate a rotation command to the live view window; perhaps it's solution is not top of priorities.

2) Next Capture naming tokens are: "Name" & "Camera Counter".  Yes, I could use the digit counter but rather camera counter. Support has asked me to send them a screen recording, after trying in a new session, with same results.  Seems like a bug.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 03:50:58 am »

David,

1) Your answer suggests your engineers are unable to incorporate a rotation command to the live view window; perhaps it's solution is not top of priorities.

2) Next Capture naming tokens are: "Name" & "Camera Counter".  Yes, I could use the digit counter but rather camera counter. Support has asked me to send them a screen recording, after trying in a new session, with same results.  Seems like a bug.

1) It could also suggest that it is not possible to do that without other negative factors.  i.e performance. 

2) Great!!

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

peter_c

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 12:53:03 pm »

Final response from P1 re. naming issue:

Tried with a Sony A7 and was able to reproduce the issue. Changes at random when camera is disconnected I will let our R&D department know so they are aware that the camera counter is not consistent with Sony. Works for Canon dslrs just fine.

Suggestion is to use regular counter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up