Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: which DSLR?  (Read 5247 times)

Ben Rubinstein

which DSLR?
« on: August 01, 2005, 05:07:06 am »

Have you thought of considering the D70s?

Shane Ladino

which DSLR?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 08:56:48 pm »

Your right Bob the photographer did explain that he stiched his  2X6 panoramas with 4 to 6 vertical prints and that was most of his post processing work.  What I was referring to was that he did not do alot of alterations in PS (color, sharpening,etc.).

I am not easily amused.  I have seen alot of fine art photography taken with medium format and fuji and linhof panoramic cameras and the S2 pro seemed to do fairly well for a digital SLR in the $1500 price range.  I have considered a D70s, but from the results I have seen I would need to spend more time behind the computer to get the results I am looking for.  I would rather spend the time shooting pics than behind the PC.

Shane

Shane

Curt

• www.pbase.com/cwphoto
which DSLR?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 10:01:54 pm »

A Fuji S2 was my first DSLR, purchased two years ago. Now I also own a D70 & D2X. I photograph weddings & senior portraits for money & nature for pleasure. I still like the S2 very much (slower focus though). My largest prints from it have been 16x20 (jpegs). I always use a tripod & white balance religiously. I was a Velvia guy with a F100 as you. If you find a good S2 at attractive price, I think you will not be dissipointed.

Shane Ladino

which DSLR?
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 03:23:37 am »

Hello all,

I need some advice.  I am in the market to purchase a DSLR and I am a bit confused.  I am currently shooting about 90% landscapes and using an nikon f100 and fuji velvia 50 with great satisfaction except with the cost of film, processing, scanning, etc. I would like to stay in the nikon lineup considering the lenses I have.  It is getting to the point that I need a good DSLR to be a little more cost effective.  I was recently in a gallery at lake tahoe (www.richardtopper.com/panoramas_noframe.asp) and was very impressed with the 2ft x 6ft panoramas that were extremely sharp and resembled medium format prints shot with velvia.  The photographer uses a fuji s2pro exclusively.  The color and saturation were incredible.  The photographer said that he did little post processing and that the camera shoots great out of the box.  I am wondering if I should purchase a s2 pro eventhough the camera is a few years old or look at an s3 pro, which is really out of my price range (<2K).  I am on a budget and am considering selling some of my prints and would like the "best bang for my buck", or basically looking for something that can replicate the quality I have been getting from velvia.  Please advise!
Thanks,
shane

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
which DSLR?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 08:46:43 am »

Are you expecting to produce stellar 2ft x 6ft panoramas for less than $2k?

One would have to think either you were looking at stitched composites (not exactly "little post processing") from the Fuji, or you are easily impressed. 6MP does not go to 6ft wide and look good unless you are standing far back - FAR BACK.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Paul Sumi

which DSLR?
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 09:13:41 pm »

I would rather spend the time shooting pics than behind the PC.
For better or worse, you'll be spending a fair amount of time at a computer in post processing no matter which DSLR you choose.  You'll want to shoot RAW for best results.  

The good news is that you will have a great deal of control over the final image - much more than you do currently scanning Velvia.

Also - don't forget that the Nikon DLSRs all have a 1.5x crop factor so your 35mm wideangle would have the equivalent field of view of a 53mm lens.  If you love wide angles, you might have to buy some wider lenses.

Paul

which DSLR?
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 02:36:53 am »

IMHO the S2 and S3 are priced too high when you consider the features and the alternatives. If I were in your shoes I'd go for the D70s. It's an excellent entry into the digital world. The only fault I find in it is that it has no original grip. Sorry. I'm a bit anal about this, I will never by a camera without a grip. Then again, when considering its price and the fact that there are some third party grips, I'd buy it without hesitation.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.
Pages: [1]   Go Up