Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Confusion re: Direction of Panasonic  (Read 2739 times)

raymond bleesz

Confusion re: Direction of Panasonic
« on: August 05, 2015, 08:20:20 pm »

A bit confused at my end re: Panasonic cameras.  I have had a GH2, presently a GH3 and several Lumix lenses---very satisfied. I'm not into video, audio but stills. I'm not interested in the GH4 but more than likely Panny will introduce a GH5, I figure.

But then there is the GX8 which will be a new unit in the near future, not a fixed lens. So, basically the direction of Panasonic is going towards what---a GX systems or GH systems????

If I needed a 2nd body, go with a GX8 or a GH3/4???

please enlighten me---Raymond

stever

Re: Confusion re: Direction of Panasonic
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 12:35:28 am »

pending some further review results my recommendation would be the GX8 (or the Olympus m1 mk2 when it is released) for the best stills images

maybe Panasonic does have some kind of long term plan, if so, it's compromised by lack of photographic experience in their engineering teams which appear to communicate little with each other

there is a lot to like about the Panasonic cameras, but they (like Sony and Olympus) seem to build puzzling and annoying errors and omissions into each new design

spidermike

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 03:05:50 am »

If you shoot a lot of video and want a lot of options on control then the GH series is the way to go. If you want something more compact in a DSLR-style body then the new G7 is definitely worth a look (it also has the DFD focus introduced on the GH4). If you like rangefinder styling and a very slight increase in picture quality, with a new IS that uses both in-body and in-lens stabilisations, then there is the GX8.  The lines have started to sort-of make sense to me but not sure it is something easy to explain because a lot of it is also grounded in personal taste and preference.

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 03:39:50 pm »

There is a lot of overlap features-wise amongst the G, GH & GX lines. I look at it like this: SLR or rangefinder styling? If the former: G (general purpose) or GH (video oriented) series. If the latter: GX series.

The GX form factor floats my boat as it provides an alternative to the SLR-like look & viewfinder placement of my other EVF cameras.

-Dave-

John Camp

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 04:28:51 pm »

I've had both GX and GH bodies -- I wish they'd named them just A, B and C to make it easier to keep them straight -- but I think the G series is basically a simpler subset of the offerings in the GH and GX bodies. I suppose you could think of it as the Nikon 600 as opposed to the 810. The GH and GX series are more enthusiast-oriented bodies, with GH optimized for video and sound, and the GX for stills. BUT: some people like the GH for stills because they like the form factor better. It's still pretty compact compared to typical DSLRs, but it's quite a bit bigger than the GX. The new GX will be larger than the current GX7, but not a lot; it will have a 20mp+ sensor as opposed to 16; it will have better image stabilization for some m4/3 lenses; and, importantly I think in an enthusiast camera, it will be weather sealed.

Basically, I think the GH and GX lines may continue to diverge, with the GH getting more and more emphasis on video, while the GX continues as primarily a still camera. Some of the Panasonic lenses are already optimized for video, and while they're completely usable on the GX or G series, I think you'd be paying for qualities you don't necessarily need for stills.

I gave my GH bodies to my son, because he does both video and stills. I kept the GXs. I prefer to have my bodies in the same style (I have one silver, one black, and tend to put longer lenses on the black) so that I don't fumble them. You might decide to stay in the same body style for the same reason, or you might prefer to have two different styles, one for ordinary shooting, and then the GX for when you want to be more discreet. (The GXs can very discreet, when using, say, a short black zoom on the black camera.)   
Pages: [1]   Go Up