Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tour d'Force  (Read 5903 times)

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Tour d'Force
« on: March 02, 2006, 08:09:54 pm »

I just came in from attending opening night of Michael's latest exhibit. It's nothing short of inspirational. Unfortunately it's dark & cold in TO, so I could not go right out and shoot pictures but it sure makes you want to. As usual, his "eminence gris" is very generous with his time in explaining the pictures to the great unwashed. I sense that Michael is turning into an educator as well as a great artist. Thanks Michael and compliments to the chef for the sushi.

firststream

Tour d'Force
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 10:28:02 pm »

I enjoyed the exhibit as well. Michael was charming and courteous, as was his partner Chris, as was Mrs.Reichmann.
Of special interest to me was Michael's 'walking tour' of his photographs. It was a qualitative lecture of each of the shots - the environment, the situation, the set-up. Michael was very forthcoming and honest about his 'moments'.  He went out of his way to describe the errors inherent in (some of) the images that would add up to a picture worth printing.
Another nice surprise for me was to see that Maestro doesn't always go for super-crisp images. From the website essays, I had always thought his images would be ultra-focussed (DOF nowithstanding!). Uh-uh. One shot was almost lithographic in quality. It was gratifying to see.
There was a fellow there taking pictures of the show and Micheal's lecture. You should have seen his eyes light up when I asked him if he was Michael's "official photographer"!
I was hoping to meet the Canon representatives but they weren't there. A little arm-twisting to get them to drop the price on the 5D - or some arm-breaking if they don't - did not come about.
Oh well...at least I ate my-hoped-for 5D price discount in Sushi.
Seeing Michael's work live, meeting Michael, and a free lunch from Canon - what a great evening.
Thanks.

Andrew Teakle

• http://www.andrewteakle.com
Tour d'Force
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 06:14:14 am »

Michael,

Sorry I couldn't make it. It's an unusually cool and rainy autumn day here in Brisbane, Australia, and I'd love nothing more than to enjoy a good photographic exhibition. Alas, my teleport system is on the blink. Hope it all went well.

Andrew
Andrew

OnyimBob

Tour d'Force
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 07:11:17 am »

Michael,
Ever heard of travelling exhibitions? I'd come! I'd even pay!
(Just finished watching the Lightroom video that shipped with the journal, and now I'm drooling!)
Bob.
Bob Munro.
[url=http://www.waterholesgue

Bill in WV

Tour d'Force
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 11:25:20 am »

Michael,

I am so glad to hear the exibition is up and running. This time I am planning to come and see it. My wife may even attend with me, but as of last night that is in question. It is going to be impossible to get there before the last weekend in March
I really hope to be in Toronto by the 24th and will definately be at the Gallery sometime on the 25th. You don't have snow or anything like that in Canada this time of year do you? My wife is all upset about what the weather may do, I've told I don't care, I'm going. Such is life.

Got any other neat things to do while in Toronto for a day? Hate to miss anything after the drive from West Virginia. But your show is the purpose of the trip and I wasn't able to make it last year, so I have planned for a long time to see this one.

Initial reports say you have another triumph on your hands. If you are around, any chance of getting my Bangladesh book autographed? I would very much enjoy to opportunity to meet and talk.

Bill Evans
aka Bill in WV
Bill Evans
 Currently shooting with Canon

michael

Tour d'Force
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 05:53:14 pm »

Bill,

As the date gets closer, and you know when you'll be at the gallery, let me know and I'll try and be there to meet you.

Late March is an iffy time weather-wise. It's late winter, early spring. Could be anything.

Toronto's a great city to visit. Lot's to do, depending on your interests. Have a look online.

Michael

Bill in WV

Tour d'Force
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 12:16:20 am »

Michael,

It is finally really happening. I'm leaving Thursday afternoon for Toronto. My plan was to leave in the morning, but my wife is a teacher and her County Board has called her into a major meeting lasting most of tomorrow. So we'll see how far we get on Thursday, make Friday a leisurely drive with a stop at Niagra Falls. We plan to be at the Gallery Saturday Morning at 10. I have been looking forward to this trip since I missed last year's show.

I do hope we are able meet up at the gallery Saturday morning, I would really like to meet you.

Bill Evans
aka Bill in WV
Bill Evans

michael

Tour d'Force
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 03:12:26 am »

I was planning to be there on Sat in any event, so 10 am sounds like a plan.

If anyone else was thinking of visiting the gallery this weekend, I'll be there Saturday from 10-noon.

Michael

dmcginlay

Tour d'Force
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 08:18:55 am »

I have just visited the gallery and viewed Michael's work. Stupendous Maestro!

I really enjoyed you creations in China; especially the one where the person is shrouded in mist - truly a painting.

By the way, this was my first visit to the gallery, is there any symbolism into the fact that the gallery and Michael's pictures are located in an old distillery? You know; drunk with delight in viewing the pictures!  

Bill in WV

Tour d'Force
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 01:05:36 am »

I finally did it! With the wife along for a bit of company, I drove from West Virginia to Toronto to see Michael's Galley Show.

Tim Gray from here on the forum spotted me with my copy of the Bangledesh book out on the table in the coffee shop as we waited for the gallery to open. We introduced ourselves and were deep in conversation when Michael arrived. He was gracious enough to autograph my book. and following a brief coffee at Balzac's, along with Tim, we all went over to the Gallery to enjoy his images from Antartica and China.

That is definately the way to see the show, with Michael right there filling in the details and the nuances of each image. It is very hard for me to describe what a delightful time we had. I really want to thank Michael for coming to the galley and showing us around and putting up with my inane banter. I do that a lot.

I think both Tim and Michael found it hard to believe when as we parted I asked for directions out of town. For Betty and I, the mission was complete and it was time to head home. I'm sure it sounds silly to some, but it was a hell of a trip, and we had a ball.

It is really neat to get face to face with names from the forum, and to get to see those magnificent images up close and personal.

Thank you Michael

Bill Evans
aka Bill in WV
Bill Evans

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Tour d'Force
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 10:30:11 am »

It was nice meeting you - glad to see you had a safe trip home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up