Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: updated....catalog now slow to load and is different.  (Read 6006 times)

glocke12

updated....catalog now slow to load and is different.
« on: August 02, 2015, 06:16:48 am »

C1 was working fine for me until I recently updated. 

Today I tried opening my catalog and it took several minutes to load whereas before it only took seconds.

Also, my folder structure is completely different.  On the left panel previously every import I had done since I started using C1 4-5 months ago was shown under "recent imports" and each one had it's own time/date stamp.  This was essentially how I was cataloging and keeping track of my photos.

Today, only the last half dozen imports are showing under recent imports.

Now, all my images are still here, but they are all only accessible under the "folders" collection via the "catalog" icon.  There is no separation of the earlier individual imports like there had been.

I am hoping there is some setting i am missing that can correct this, if not I'll have to say that I am frankly quite irritated by this.  I am coming over to C1 from Aperture and have been doing a side by side evaluation of LR also, and while I admit the processing engine of C1 seems superior and more pleasing to my eye than LR, the cataloging features and now this latest issue I am experiencing is pushing me towards LR.   
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 06:32:38 am by glocke12 »

mgrayson

Re: updated....catalog now slow to load and is different.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 06:46:08 am »

My biggest complaint about C1 is the lack of good reference material. You can find out a lot from their website, but if you want to get any deeper, it's very hard to find information. How long does "Recent" cover? I've no idea. Can you change it? Probably not, but only because the website says "You can't change this section."

But the message from what sparse documentation exists is that you have to set up your own albums if you want them to persist. You can still do this retroactively, and it will be one annoying step, but it won't be hard going forward.

I just searched, there are thousands (not an exaggeration) of LR and PS books on Amazon, and one (count 'em) book on Capture One, due out in January. This has to be a Phase One decision - do they refuse to authorize publication of supporting material? A strange decision, but not their strangest.

Good luck,

Matt

glocke12

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 07:09:48 am »

My biggest complaint about C1 is the lack of good reference material. You can find out a lot from their website, but if you want to get any deeper, it's very hard to find information. How long does "Recent" cover? I've no idea. Can you change it? Probably not, but only because the website says "You can't change this section."

But the message from what sparse documentation exists is that you have to set up your own albums if you want them to persist. You can still do this retroactively, and it will be one annoying step, but it won't be hard going forward.

I just searched, there are thousands (not an exaggeration) of LR and PS books on Amazon, and one (count 'em) book on Capture One, due out in January. This has to be a Phase One decision - do they refuse to authorize publication of supporting material? A strange decision, but not their strangest.

Good luck,

Matt

In reference to the bolded part, I just spent the past hour or so creating separate albums for the imports I've done since I started using C1 back in May. 

Maybe "Recent Imports" has some kind of time cutoff and the things I am no longer seeing are outside of that timespan.

Not sure what I will ultimately end up doing.  I think to be on the safe side I will continue to use LR side by side as well as drag and drop the images from my SD/CF card onto a separate hard drive before deleting them from the card.

Honestly I think C1 is great at some things, but not at file management.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 11:25:21 am »

Good luck,

Matt

I'm always getting emails from their vendors offering classes, for a fee of course  ::)
Makes one wonder.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 12:36:32 pm »

I'm always getting emails from their vendors offering classes, for a fee of course  ::)
Makes one wonder.

There is no conspiracy. It's a niche product targeted at pro and enthusiasts not prosumers. There is simply not the size of market to attract the creation of books like there is with anything Adobe does. If you (or anyone else) would like to write one we would be very glad to link to it on our website. Hell if it was good we'd maybe even buy a bulk order to give away to our customers. But even as the largest dealer in the US we wouldn't be moving thousands of copies for you, and we couldn't sell it as soon as there was a new major version (which happens every 12-24 months or so), and that's the whole problem.

I'll go even further, and say that if anyone wants to write a book, I'd be glad to treat them to dinner in NYC and answer any question they have on the topic.

Yes, we offer and advertise classes. Yes they are paid (though one class is always included with the purchase of any back) but they are also very good. We hear a lot of our customers say they want more education on c1. So we offer it. I won't apologize for charging money for that service. https://digitaltransitions.com/event/training
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 12:45:07 pm by Doug Peterson »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 12:58:54 pm »

Regarding the OP's actual question...

If your catalog suddenly takes much longer to load than previously (and you didn't do something that would obviously cause this like increase the number of images in the catalog by an order of magnitude) then try repairing it or restoring from a recent backup. If neither help try reinstalling and installing 8.3.2 (including resetting preferences per this KB article). If that doesn't help and you purchased your software from a value added partner then call them up or visit their office (bringing along your catalog if practical) as that's what they are there for, or if not then open a support case at https://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportMain.aspx and someone will reply within 24 hours (usually much faster).

If you want to organize your catalog in some useful way then you'll want to either
- Organize the files into useful folders on the hard drive and then import with files into the catalog "in place" (versus moving the files into the catalog itself) and use the folders hierarchy (right click on the Folders section and select "Show folder hierarchy")
- Add metadata such as caption information or keywording and use filters or smart albums to provide access to subgroupings thereof
- Use the Date option in the Filter (click the "..." drop down in the top right of the filter area, select "show/hide filters" and select Date if not already present) to pull images up by date.

You can select multiple overlapping criterium in the filter by holding option when you click the second and subsequent criterium. So you could, for instance, show up on the Red tagged images from 2015 with a keyword of "People" shot with a Phase One camera.

Learning new software is always frustrating. Especially when it is software which is built for users (pros/enthusiasts) who value ultimate quality, flexibility, and power-once-youve-mastered-it over initial ease of use. Keep at it.

Phase One Catalog system is only in its second generation of refinement having been introduced in version 7 not so long ago. I suspect it will continue to improve in future iterations. But if now or in the future you decide the catalog solution in C1 is not right for you, then you can do what many of our customers do... keep your master catalog in some other program (e.g. LightRoom) and use Capture One Pro as your raw processor.

mgrayson

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 01:46:06 pm »

You can select multiple overlapping criterium in the filter by holding option when you click the second and subsequent criterium. So you could, for instance, show up on the Red tagged images from 2015 with a keyword of "People" shot with a Phase One camera.

Now THAT is a useful tidbit. Thanks, Doug!

--Matt
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 02:31:42 pm by mgrayson »

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 03:52:08 am »

Hi Mike,

There is definitely no conspiracy at all and we are currently working towards expanding 3rd party training support.

There is the proposed (excellent) book which is on the way, French and German courses on video2brain.com, a forthcoming 3rd party vide course (not sure if I can mention the vendor), a Capture One 7 course on this website which is to be update to v8 and also the following resources...

Video Tutorials...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDMRz3ssFQH6eHHX5Pw2Lf0DO8UB5siyH

Webinar Archive

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDMRz3ssFQH5bVekS7WX6rW9pZu_X_vLJ

Webinar Program for August..

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Events/Capture-One-webinars.aspx

Help site..

help.phaseone.com

So I think our offering is pretty good.  I am working on improving the QuickStart guide to get you well... started quickly(!) with a view then to expand your skill set.

You have to remember that Capture One is not as widespread as Lightroom (but growing I might add!) so if Mr. Trainer A does short business case to see what course he can sell more of, its likely he will land at Photoshop/Lightroom combo.

I would highly recommend Doug's training if you are in the vicinity or also remotely.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 03:53:01 am »

Oh and also..

forum.phaseone.com

The Capture One Collective on Facebook is also a nice bunch of people!

David
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

mgrayson

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 06:45:08 am »

David,

Thanks for that update!

I'm pleased to hear that Phase One is on board with 3rd party support. The Videos are great overviews but they aren't as helpful as reference material (to put it mildly). As a Capture One user since v1, I've been tempted more than once to write a guide, but it's a huge project with a moving target - and any conversation with Doug shows how much I still don't know about its capabilities.

Best,

Matt

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 10:13:44 pm »

David... is there a good place to offer suggestions or feature requests?
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up