Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone subscriibe to 37th Frame?  (Read 5553 times)

Pelao

Anyone subscriibe to 37th Frame?
« on: March 02, 2006, 10:18:32 am »

Hi
I enjoyed Mike Johnston's Sunday Columns and was looking at his 37th Frame Newsletter. I like his style and it's not expensive so I ordered a subscription through Paypal.

37th Frame

I assumed I would receive an email from 37th confirming the subscription and download eetails. This did not arrive and follow up emails have not been answered.

If anyone subscribes and has any suggestions I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

bob mccarthy

• http://
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 10:32:43 am »

I think that is the normal situation. I ordered a subscription two years ago, got two or three issues. When I got the first issue, I was impressed, so much so, that I emailed and asked to purchase all back issues. Tried a couple of times more. Never got a response!

Since this was an email sub, the cost of the back issues to 37th Frame was Zilch.

When subsequently checking on my late subscription, I never did hear from him. I don't know if I'll ever see another issue. I see him on a number of sites including his own blog. I don't think he's a bad guy out to get money from unsuspecting folks but a lousy businessman.

I just assume the issue will show up when he gets around to it, interesting material he does write.

Good luck,

Bob
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 03:13:45 pm by bob mccarthy »

Pelao

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 01:07:26 pm »

Thanks Bob

You know, I sort of got the feeling it was disorganization on his part, rather than any attempt to grab cash.

I will hang in there for a while before cancelling the payment.

Perhaps we should form a support group....  

Stephen

macgyver

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 01:45:10 pm »

That's interesting to hear, I wrote Johnson once related to a column he had written and he was very prompt is his response.

Pelao

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 02:20:17 pm »

Well it also occurred to me that he could be on a trip somewhere and accessing his his mail infrequently. I am sure he will get back to me.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 02:21:23 pm »

I liked this in response to his copyright law posting ...

Anonymous said...

Mike -- Please take your whining to heart and send me a copy of "The Empirical Photographer" I paid for in 2003.

8:14 AM

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=19...119099776576084

JRandallNichols

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 09:00:21 pm »

I am grateful to Mike Johnston for a series he did for a while a couple of years ago about collecting photography books.  It was the impetus for my own now very satisfying collection, and I was disappointed when he without any explanation discontinued the commentary.

But "discontinuation" seems to be the name of the game.  I too subscribed to The 37th Frame and never got a single issue, and I too ordered and paid for The Empirical Photographer but have never seen a sign of it.  There is no point speculating without evidence on his circumstances or motives.

But I do think there is a point to registering to Michael Reichmann some dissatisfaction that he keeps featuring Johnston's occasional pieces with such praise and appreciation when so many members of this site have been distressed by Johnston's bad practices.  Why on earth lend the support of this excellent major site to a guy who has displeased if not cheated so many of its customers, and whose essays in the eyes of some hardly reach the level of mediocrity?
Randy

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 12:06:21 pm »

I do and even got a few printed and .pdf copies up to #8 plus extra copies to come just because of the mix ups...  and oh yeah I bought the Emperical Photographer a couple of years ago too. After some reminders and appologies received Mike sent me a .pdf of the book, so you may want to try that route.
Anyway, I say so what, he has a pretty good blog going, and is a much better writer than business person.
Reading the blog will eventually, if not already, more than compensate me for the few dollars sent his way. So if Michael wants to reference Mike from time to time, it is the writing that is important to me, not the business practices.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up