Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]   Go Down

Author Topic: A7RII initial thoughts and images  (Read 223491 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: A7RII initial thoughts and images
« Reply #440 on: September 01, 2015, 08:18:44 am »

Hi Hans,

Yes, I am aware of the fact that the D800E has the same approach. In my personal tests, I really struggle to find any noticeable difference between the D800 and the D800E in terms of detailing rendered. The 810 might be better as it has no AA filter.
You might be right that the 5DsR has higher resolution than the D810 (I am just working from memory here, seeing them side by side would obviously be better), but it is definitely lacking in comparison tot he Sony, in the quoted example.

As for the "Does it matter"? question, it's very subjective. To me, it does. To someone else, it might not.

I have attached a screen shot in 2:1 from Lightroom from studio shots from dpreview from 5DsR and D810. You can see the lenses used. I used the Adobe Standard profile and sharpening as 60/0.7/70/20 in Lightroom. I set the black point and white point for both images by double clicking the whites and blacks. They were very close from both cameras. Noise reduction as default. Other than that, no other adjustments. I think it is very obvious that there is a difference in resolution.

Second attachment is the same studio scene comparing 5DsR and A7r II. Again the same processing as before. The RAW file used was the E-shutter version.

The more the images are increased in size the easier it is to see the higher resolution of the Canon, however I would not loose any sleep over 42MP rather than 50MP! It still is only 9% linear extra for the 5DsR. Why would you doubt that there is this difference?

The reason I ask does it matter is: Let's say you print both test shots 150x100cm. Do you think you could see the difference unless you used a loope? The Sony gets printed at 135 PPI and the Canon at 147 PPI. I don't think anybody would be able to tell the difference. The D810 would be at 125 PPI. Would I be able to tell the difference between the Canon and the Nikon? I doubt it.

I shoot both the 5DsR and the D810. I typically have the 5DsR on the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II and the D810 on the Nikon 70-200 f/4 VR (I only change lenses when I need to go ultra wide angle or longer with the Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II). I will not change lenses to achieve the highest resolution as for me what matters is to be able to work fast enough when the light changes quickly. I'm on Isle on Skye in Scotland at the moment and I can say to those who doubt it, that light changes so quick that when to see a composition and the light then you may have less than a minute to take the shot or it is gone! This also means that there is no time to mess around with exposure compensation to protect the highlights. The simple solution is bracketing to cover from -3EV to +1EV which solves 99% of cases with very high DR as you have a lot of on this island. Even though I can recover shadows more cleanly on the D810 (by far) the best solution is to blend two exposures in Lightroom using the HDR function. For both cameras this the best quality.

This just to say that for what I'm doing the difference between these cameras in terms of resolution and DR is not important. What is more important is the speed with which it is possible to work with a camera system and how reliable and consistent it is. Both the Canon and the Nikon has passed my test. I don't know about the Sony yet. I have only shot the 5DsR for a short time and only 4 days on my current shoot and I have not found anything surprising og negative yet.

For others the parameters can well be different and therefore the choice of camera be different.

Sorry for the rant -- I couldn't help it  ;D

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 08:26:00 am by Hans Kruse »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #441 on: September 02, 2015, 09:41:26 am »

...I shoot both the 5DsR and the D810...

Hans, I agree completely that the resolution of all the three camera's is good enough..
What i would not like to do myself is: use two different camera systems ( + at the same time)  for i am afraid i would go crazy with the little details that are different in the handling and the menu system...
So in short i would be to busy with he camera systems with all there special quirks and mix them up, since all hese cameras get more and more complicated and the result could be i miss that special moment in the isle of sky.
Don't you have any problems with that?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Rob C

« Reply #442 on: September 02, 2015, 09:56:28 am »

Hans, for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FYJydaClRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RnDPruYdY0

The two usually follow in sequence; if not, the second link gets you there to the final pìece.

See well before you leave the island.

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 10:14:33 am by Rob C »

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #443 on: September 02, 2015, 07:36:23 pm »

Hans, I agree completely that the resolution of all the three camera's is good enough..
What i would not like to do myself is: use two different camera systems ( + at the same time)  for i am afraid i would go crazy with the little details that are different in the handling and the menu system...
So in short i would be to busy with he camera systems with all there special quirks and mix them up, since all hese cameras get more and more complicated and the result could be i miss that special moment in the isle of sky.
Don't you have any problems with that?

No, not a problem for me. I always had a good memory for technical details :) You can ask my wife that my memory is lacking in some other areas :)
But I only do it to service my workshop guests with detailed knowledge of the two camera systems.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #444 on: September 03, 2015, 01:24:42 am »

No, not a problem for me. I always had a good memory for technical details :) You can ask my wife that my memory is lacking in some other areas :)
But I only do it to service my workshop guests with detailed knowledge of the two camera systems.

Hans,

I was puzzled by the word Service, which has so many meanings. I looked it up and even found an eponymous poet, Robert William.

Edmund
------
I haled me a woman from the street,
Shameless, but, oh, so fair!
I bade her sit in the model's seat,
And I painted her sitting there.
I hid all trace of her heart unclean;
I painted a babe at her breast;
I painted her as she might have been
If the Worst had been the Best.
She laughed at my picture, and went away.
Then came, with a knowing nod,
A connoisseur, and I heard him say:
"'Tis Mary, the Mother of God."
So I painted a halo round her hair,
And I sold her, and took my fee,
And she hangs in the church of Saint Hilaire,
Where you and all may see.
--------

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:29:09 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #445 on: September 03, 2015, 03:19:08 am »

Thank you, Edmund for posting "My Madonna" - short, but sweet poem by Robert Service.
Little did he know that one day there will be millions of other artists interpreting their worlds with something called Photoshop.

However, many landscape photographers will relate to his poem "Call Of The Wild".

Have you gazed on naked grandeur where there's nothing else to gaze on,
  Set pieces and drop-curtain scenes galore,
Big mountains heaved to heaven, which the blinding sunsets blazon,
  Black canyons where the rapids rip and roar?
Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking through it,
  Searched the Vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it;
  Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost.

Have you wandered in the wilderness, the sagebrush desolation,
  The bunch-grass levels where the cattle graze?
Have you whistled bits of rag-time at the end of all creation,
  And learned to know the desert's little ways?
Have you camped upon the foothills, have you galloped o'er the ranges,
  Have you roamed the arid sun-lands through and through?
Have you chummed up with the mesa? Do you know its moods and changes?
  Then listen to the wild–it's calling you.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 04:20:52 am by LesPalenik »

Rob C

« Reply #446 on: September 03, 2015, 04:24:31 am »

Thank you, Edmund for posting "My Madonna" - short, but sweet poem by Robert Service.
Little did he know that one day there will be millions of other artists interpreting their worlds with something called Photoshop.

However, many landscape photographers will relate to his poem "Call Of The Wild".

Have you gazed on naked grandeur where there's nothing else to gaze on,
  Set pieces and drop-curtain scenes galore,
Big mountains heaved to heaven, which the blinding sunsets blazon,
  Black canyons where the rapids rip and roar?
Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking through it,
  Searched the Vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it;
  Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost.

Have you wandered in the wilderness, the sagebrush desolation,
  The bunch-grass levels where the cattle graze?
Have you whistled bits of rag-time at the end of all creation,
  And learned to know the desert's little ways?
Have you camped upon the foothills, have you galloped o'er the ranges,
  Have you roamed the arid sun-lands through and through?
Have you chummed up with the mesa? Do you know its moods and changes?
  Then listen to the wild–it's calling you.

Not a mention of all the things there that crawl, wanting to kill us; of those hanging in webs that have their own inject-and-suck agenda; of all those terrible things bigger than us that want to devour us, and those others, of our own kind, who are pefectly placed to blow our head off as they mistake us (or don't) for a moose!

Give me a nice drive through a civilized France any day! Far better a gourmet dinner than burned offerings from a campfire.

;-)

Rob
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 08:33:27 am by Rob C »

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #447 on: September 03, 2015, 04:48:56 am »

It's little known fact that the inexpensive but decent quality Samyang 24mm Tilt/shift lens is now available in Sony E-Mount.

The mount is little more than a dumb adapter attached to the lens so no lens info is transmitted from lens to camera.  However, this does allow more space than with, say, the strikingly similar Nikon PC-E lens to operate the tilt shift controls 

I received mine yesterday; here it is attached to the Sony A7RII.  I will test over the next few days.

Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #448 on: September 03, 2015, 05:23:05 am »

Hi Quentin,

I am very interested to hear how the Samyang performs. Looking forward to your tests!
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Rob C

« Reply #449 on: September 03, 2015, 10:22:42 am »

It's little known fact that the inexpensive but decent quality Samyang 24mm Tilt/shift lens is now available in Sony E-Mount.

The mount is little more than a dumb adapter attached to the lens so no lens info is transmitted from lens to camera.  However, this does allow more space than with, say, the strikingly similar Nikon PC-E lens to operate the tilt shift controls 

I received mine yesterday; here it is attached to the Sony A7RII.  I will test over the next few days.

Quentin, where's the aperture adjustment located on that shifter if there's no electrical connection? I can't see a ring...

Rob C

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #450 on: September 03, 2015, 10:46:33 am »

Quentin, where's the aperture adjustment located on that shifter if there's no electrical connection? I can't see a ring...

Rob C

I see two rings and assume one is focus and the other f-stop.

Rob C

« Reply #451 on: September 03, 2015, 12:52:22 pm »

I see two rings and assume one is focus and the other f-stop.

Do you mean directly to the right of the red line? The focus one is obvious, but I can't see any aperture markings anywhere.

Rob

P.S.

Did you catch the two links I sent you on Post 459?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:55:19 pm by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #452 on: September 03, 2015, 12:56:46 pm »

Do you mean directly to the right of the red line? The focus one is obvious, but I can't see any aperture markings anywhere.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #453 on: September 03, 2015, 12:58:53 pm »

That's it.

I will be testing more tomorrow.  I have too much on to do so today.

Rob C

« Reply #454 on: September 03, 2015, 04:11:01 pm »

jrp

« Reply #455 on: September 03, 2015, 04:53:52 pm »

Anyone tried the Huelight profile for the Sony A7r II?

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #456 on: September 03, 2015, 05:32:09 pm »

Hans, for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FYJydaClRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RnDPruYdY0

The two usually follow in sequence; if not, the second link gets you there to the final pìece.

See well before you leave the island.

Rob C

Thanks Rob, I forgot some accessories :) ... and some assistants :)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #457 on: September 03, 2015, 05:55:30 pm »

Rob

P.S.

Did you catch the two links I sent you on Post 459?

I think he is better at the modelling shots :)

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #458 on: September 05, 2015, 03:48:33 pm »

Early tests on the Samyang  T-S F/3.5 confirm:

- Generally well made, not far short of the Nikkor F/3.5 PC/E. Easier to use as the knobs are a tad bigger and with the E-Mount, further from the camera.

- A lot of haloing at max aperture.  Avoid if possible.

- Sharp stopped down to F/8 or F/11, it's sweet spot.  Some loss of quality at edges when fully shifted, but better than on my copy of a Nikkor

- Close focusing and selective focus using tilt likely be good for product or food photography

- Outstanding value for money.

A few samples:

Max front shift

Tilt

Tilt used for selective focus

Sharp where it needs to be

« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 04:02:33 pm by Quentin »

LKaven

« Reply #459 on: September 06, 2015, 12:04:23 pm »

Thanks, Slobodan, a good angle.
Rob

Welcome back to LuLa Rob!  Hope this finds you happy and in good health.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]   Go Up