Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom - how to develop or 'process' file to saved TIFF?  (Read 17052 times)

narikin

I'm new to Lightroom, but a long term Capture One user, so not a real newbie.

Understand the basic steps, but in Develop module, can't seem to find how once I've made my corrections I 'develop' or 'process' the file into a saved 16bit TIFF that I have in a designated folder - where is that option?! Am amazed that isn't a big, button with save options right there...

thanks

bns

• Boudewijn Swanenburg Photography
Re: Lightroom - how to develop or 'process' file to saved TIFF?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 11:27:45 am »

Hi Narkin,

If you get a bit more acquinted with LR you will no longer be surprised about the 'missing' save button. LR saves the çorrections' you make (i.e. development instructions) in the Library. Everytime you open the same image again it starts displaying what you did before. Your original file (RAW or DNG) remains untouched.
If you want to continue processing your developed image with some other programme, you can export your image from Lightroom. From Library or Develop module choose File/Export andmake your choices for size, location etc.

Good luck,
Boudewijn Swanenburg

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 02:50:40 pm »

To render your processed raw file to tiff use the "file-export" function. It will bring up dialog box. 16 bit, uncompressed tiff is one of your options. Dialog box also allows file naming options & save-to location.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 02:52:45 pm »

Right, use the Export menu option.

The first time you do this, it will open a dialog box with various options. Set it up the way you want, then click Add at the bottom left and create a preset. I have created presets for all my usual file outputs -- 16-bit TIFF, 8-bit JPEG, 800-pixel JPEG for proofs, even a DNG that is automatically saved to a Dropbox folder so I can transfer the photo and all the deveop module settings to my iMac at home.

After that, choose Save with Preset and choose your preset -- I found this functionality significantly improved over using Camera Raw.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

narikin

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 05:06:34 pm »

Right, use the Export menu option.

Right, found it now, except its pretty well hidden! (Windows)
There is no 'Export' module, and no 'Export' menu.

You have to go into the 'File' menu and use Export option there, or right click and work from there.
Seems they really don't imagine anyone would want to have a finished TIFF file to work on in Photoshop.
Very odd to me - might go back to Capture One...

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:12:30 pm by narikin »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 06:15:07 pm »

I'm new to Lightroom, but a long term Capture One user, so not a real newbie.

Understand the basic steps, but in Develop module, can't seem to find how once I've made my corrections I 'develop' or 'process' the file into a saved 16bit TIFF that I have in a designated folder - where is that option?! Am amazed that isn't a big, button with save options right there...

thanks
A little different workflow/paradigm with Lightroom.  Unless you need a tiff file to move into photoshop (which LR will make automatically), there really isn’t a reason to render out a “finished” tiff.  Most export out purposed files or send things directly to the printer from Lightroom, but if you are creating a tiff just to “save” your work, no real need.

Capture One has recently tried to offer similar DAM functionality as well as the ability to print, but for me it just doesn’t work as well.  So while I often process a raw in Capture One and by necessity must then render out a tiff file, I then import into Lightroom and manage it from there, including any purposed files or printing.

Dan Glynhampton

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 06:46:30 pm »

Right, found it now, except its pretty well hidden! (Windows)
There is no 'Export' module, and no 'Export' menu.
You have to go into the 'File' menu and use Export option there, or right click and work from there.

Well you're correct about that menu option, but in the bottom left of the library module there is a big button labeled "export" which I wouldn't describe as hidden.

Seems they really don't imagine anyone would want to have a finished TIFF file to work on in Photoshop

The tools in Lightroom are very comprehensive now, in fact they are so good that having to work on an image in Photoshop is, for me at least, a fairly rare event. If I do need to use Photoshop, I don't export a TIFF, I use the "Edit in Photoshop" functionality which handles all of that for me.

Jimbo57

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 04:21:37 am »

Seems they really don't imagine anyone would want to have a finished TIFF file to work on in Photoshop.
Very odd to me - might go back to Capture One...

Forget about the file menu route. Just use the nice big "Export" button.

As far as creating a "tiff" to work on in Photoshop is concerned, Lightroom makes it much easier than that. Simply right-click on the thumbnail or full-screen image in either Library or Develop modules and select "Edit in Photoshop" from the menu that appears. Lightroom then creates a tiff, opens Photoshop and Bob's your Uncle. When you then "save" in Photoshop, an edited tiff is re-imported by Lightroom and sits in the Library beside the Raw file you were using.

Pure Dead Brilliant!

narikin

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 07:50:33 am »

Well you're correct about that menu option, but in the bottom left of the library module there is a big button labeled "export" which I wouldn't describe as hidden.

Ah, I see that now - a bit counter-intuitive, as you have to go backwards to the Library module, from Develop module, to find the button. To me 'developing', means converting a Raw file into a full color balanced TIFF, not something I'd go to my library to find.

Not to worry though, got it now.  Thanks

narikin

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 07:53:03 am »

As far as creating a "tiff" to work on in Photoshop is concerned, Lightroom makes it much easier than that. Simply right-click on the thumbnail or full-screen image in either Library or Develop modules and select "Edit in Photoshop" from the menu that appears. Lightroom then creates a tiff, opens Photoshop and Bob's your Uncle. When you then "save" in Photoshop, an edited tiff is re-imported by Lightroom and sits in the Library beside the Raw file you were using.

Good to know that.
I keep my RAW files separate from the final Print/TIFF/Press jpegs versions, but that's an interesting workflow/file system to consider.
Thanks.

wtlloyd

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 11:20:35 am »

Forget about top menu or right click.

While in Develop, control-E will take you directly into Photoshop with the file open and Develop module settings in effect.
Saving the photo in Photoshop automatically renders a .tiff file and places it in the Lightroom catalog, ready for you to export it while in the Library module.

It's a bit annoying that you must cycle between the modules in Lightroom to do specific things, and even more annoying that keyboard shortcuts do different things or sometimes nothing, if you are not in the correct module.

That said, cycling into Photoshop and returning with your .tiff alongside your original raw is painless, unless you mess with your preferences and break something.

narikin

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 01:20:43 pm »

While in Develop, control-E will take you directly into Photoshop with the file open and Develop module settings in effect.
Saving the photo in Photoshop automatically renders a .tiff file and places it in the Lightroom catalog, ready for you to export it while in the Library module.

It's a bit annoying that you must cycle between the modules in Lightroom to do specific things, and even more annoying that keyboard shortcuts do different things or sometimes nothing, if you are not in the correct module.

That said, cycling into Photoshop and returning with your .tiff alongside your original raw is painless, unless you mess with your preferences and break something.

and presumably the same with a large .psd or .psb file, with all its masks and layers?

BradSmith

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 02:31:50 pm »

and presumably the same with a large .psd or .psb file, with all its masks and layers?

I'm not sure what you mean.  But whatever you mean, try it and see.  I just did the following as a test.

1. Took a new, RAW file into Photoshop.  Made a bunch of layer adjustments.  Saved that as a psd file.
2. Imported the psd file into LR.   Made a number of further adjustments in LR.
3. invoked "Edit in Photoshop".  You have 3 choices.
4  First choice is "Edit a copy with LR Adjustments".  The adjusted LR file opened in Photoshop as a single, background layer.  Made a number of other adjustment layer changes.  Invoked Save.  It saved back into LR as a psd file with identical appearance as it just had in Photoshop. Now have 2 files in LR.
5.  Second choice is Edit a Copy (without LR adjustments).  Your file as you originally imported it into LR opens in PS.  It shows each of the adjustment layers you originally did in PS.  Add more adjustment layers.  Save.  It saves back to LR as a new psd image.  So now you have two files in LR.
6.  Third choice is Edit Orig (without LR adjustments).  Your original psd file opens in PS, showing each adjustment layer.  Make further adjustment layer changes.  Save.  It saves the newly adjust PS image back into LR as a psd.  It overwrites/replaces the image that had been in LR.  You have one file in LR. 

I personally always use the first choice, because I want to preserve the improvements I've made in LR when I take a file to PS for further work.

Brad

wtlloyd

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 02:37:28 pm »

In Lightroom, under 'Preferences' - 'External editing' you will find options for file type. There is also a second external editor option, where for example you could select Capture One as an alternate.

leuallen

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 07:08:37 pm »

I personally always use the first choice, because I want to preserve the improvements I've made in LR when I take a file to PS for further work.

Occasionally, I will use the 'Edit original' if I have made LR adjustments after returning from PS and the adjustments are substantial and I notice something I missed which should have been done in PS. I don't want to create a new file so I use 'Edit original' and update a preset called 'temp all' on the file before going to PS. This saves all the current LR settings to the preset. After I have returned from PS, I apply this preset to the file. Now all of the LR adjustments I made are restored.

Larry

narikin

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 08:52:06 pm »

Thanks all for useful tips - very helpful

If I go through my RAW's in Capture One first, is there a way to bring those changes into Lightroom at all - mainly the ratings for example?

Understood about exporting to PS/editing in PS, but if I use Capture One first, then what adjustments might be imported?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 09:59:59 pm »

I think to do this you would need to save the images from C1 as a dng.  C1 will not save as a dng at least I have never figured out a way for this.

I would love to save a IQ260 or 160 file from C1 with just the LCC applied as sometimes I feel I might get a better conversion from LR. 

I believe C1 can open a dng, just can't save as one.    But I may have this wrong. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 08:32:02 am »

I believe C1 can open a dng, just can't save as one.    But I may have this wrong.

Hi Paul,

Capture One can (open and) save as DNG. Not sure what the benefit over saving as a TIFF would be though, since the data is no longer Raw. Development settings are not compatible between the programs, so they would not transfer. Changes to the IPTC metadata might transfer though, as they are presumably stored in the TIFF header.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 08:34:39 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 09:18:31 am »

Bart,

Thanks for the clarification.  It's been a while.  C1 saves as a dng, but no raw data.  This is unlike Adobe?  Which can open and save as a dng, and when saved has the raw data?  To me the whole ability to save as dng is to save the file as a raw so other programs could open it and see it as a raw, however that may only work with Adobe programs, camera raw and LR. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

mlewis

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 09:30:34 am »

Bart,

Thanks for the clarification.  It's been a while.  C1 saves as a dng, but no raw data.  This is unlike Adobe?  Which can open and save as a dng, and when saved has the raw data?  To me the whole ability to save as dng is to save the file as a raw so other programs could open it and see it as a raw, however that may only work with Adobe programs, camera raw and LR. 

Paul

No software can save out raw data in dng format of an edited image or raw file.  The only way to have raw data in a dng file is to convert a raw file into DNG.  Any software that can save a DNG file of an edited image is saving a rendered image into the DNG format.  It is similar to saving as a tif file.
Pages: [1]   Go Up