Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP z3200 Presets  (Read 6361 times)

William Chitham

HP z3200 Presets
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:23:21 am »

Just getting started with a roll of Innova FibaPrint® Warm Cotton Gloss 335gsm IFA 45 and find that Innova have not made a preset for this specific paper. There is a preset for their FibaPrint® White Gloss (f-type) 300gsm IFA 09 which has an extremely similar description so I'm going to start by using that. If it produces a good result then great but the snag is if I then want to use the White Gloss I'm stuck because I'll have already associated the preset with a different paper, calibration, profile etc. Any suggestions how I can use a preset (.oms file) twice?
Thanks,
William.

Nora_nor

Re: HP z3200 Presets
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 11:47:36 am »

With HP: There is a preset, and there is an icc profile....
First, you have both calibrated and profiled the paper?  HPZ printers have a built- in calibration and profiling hardware and software.
The user manual says to choose some hp paper close to the paper, and run the calibration and profiling. Two sheets, two different things.
The .oms file you can use on a second or third z3200 for the same paper, but not for anything else useful

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 04:15:56 pm »

Just getting started with a roll of Innova FibaPrint® Warm Cotton Gloss 335gsm IFA 45 and find that Innova have not made a preset for this specific paper. There is a preset for their FibaPrint® White Gloss (f-type) 300gsm IFA 09 which has an extremely similar description so I'm going to start by using that. If it produces a good result then great but the snag is if I then want to use the White Gloss I'm stuck because I'll have already associated the preset with a different paper, calibration, profile etc. Any suggestions how I can use a preset (.oms file) twice?
Thanks,
William.

Try creating a custom profile using one of the resident HP papers that has a similar quality.
First calibrate the paper, then create the custom ICC Profile.

Here is info from HP:  ( http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01562782#N104F8  )

To create your own paper preset
Before using a custom paper type with your printer, you should add a paper preset for the new paper. You can create a new paper preset using the HP Color Center in the HP Printer Utility.

The paper preset name will appear in the printer driver and the front panel.

To create a paper preset, you can follow this simple procedure:

Go to the Color Center tab in the HP Printer Utility for Windows, or to the HP Color Center group in the HP Printer Utility for Mac OS.
Select Create New Paper Preset .
Enter your paper's name.
The paper's commercial name is likely to be the most understandable for other users of the printer.
Select a paper category from the drop-down menu. The paper category determines the amount of ink used and other basic printing parameters. For more information, see the online help  in the Color Center, and http://www.hp.com/go/Z3200ps/paperpresets/ . The available categories are:
Bond and Coated Paper : Fiber-based, thin papers with a matte surface. These papers use matte black ink, no gloss enhancer, relatively low ink limits and high carriage position.
Photo Paper : Photo-base, relatively thick papers with a variety of finishing from matte to satin to glossy. These papers use photo black ink and gloss enhancer, with the exception of Photo Matte Papers, relatively high ink limits and low carriage position, with the exception of Baryte and Photo Matte Papers. Generally they will print with the starwheels up.
Proofing Paper : A variety of papers from matte to satin and glossy used to simulate commercial printing with high color accuracy requirements.
Fine Art Material : Canvas, matte and paper-base photo materials used for high-quality fine art printing. These papers use matte black ink and no gloss enhancer, with the exception of Canvas Satin and Pearl papers, which use photo black and gloss enhancer. They all use high carriage position with high ink limits.
Film : Synthetic film-base materials that generally use photo black and no gloss enhancer, with relatively low ink limits and high carriage position.
Backlit : Synthetic translucent materials that use photo black and no gloss enhancer with high ink limits, high carriage position and starwheels up.
Click Next under Windows, Continue under Mac OS.
Load your custom paper, see Load a roll into the printerload paperroll into the printerroll paperload into the printerpaperload roll into printer or Load a single sheetload papersheetsheet paperloadpaperload sheet . You will find the paper name in the Custom paper category in the front panel.
Choose the ICC profile name in the Color Center. This is the name you will use to select the profile in your application.
If the paper type permits, the printer performs a color calibration (about 10 minutes) and creates the ICC profile (about 20 minutes).
Now that you have created the paper preset, you will be able to select the paper type from the front panel and from the driver under the Custom paper category. The ICC profile for the new paper type will be ready to use by your application.

You can export the new paper preset to your computer and use it on other HP Designjet Z3200 series printers. In the Color Center, select Paper Preset Management > Export Paper Preset , then follow the instructions on the screen. To install the preset on another printer, see To install a downloaded paper presetimport paper presetpaperdownload presets .

Advanced paper preset creation
Advanced paper preset creation involves a process of trial and error, in which you modify the printing properties of your new preset to obtain the best print quality.

Go to the Color Center tab in the HP Printer Utility for Windows, or to the HP Color Center group in the HP Printer Utility for Mac OS.
Select Paper Preset Management .
Under Windows, select Create Paper Preset . Under Mac OS, click + .
Enter your paper's name.
The paper's commercial name is likely to be the most understandable for other users of the printer.
Select a paper category from the drop-down menu. The paper category determines the amount of ink used and other basic printing parameters. For more information, see the online help  in the Color Center, and http://www.hp.com/go/Z3200ps/paperpresets/ . The available categories are:
Bond and Coated Paper : Fiber-based, thin papers with a matte surface. These papers use matte black ink, no gloss enhancer, relatively low ink limits and high carriage position.
Photo Paper : Photo-base, relatively thick papers with a variety of finishing from matte to satin to glossy. These papers use photo black ink and gloss enhancer, with the exception of Photo Matte Papers, relatively high ink limits and low carriage position, with the exception of Baryte and Photo Matte Papers. Generally they will print with the starwheels up.
Proofing Paper : A variety of papers from matte to satin and glossy used to simulate commercial printing with high color accuracy requirements.
Fine Art Material : Canvas, matte and paper-base photo materials used for high-quality fine art printing. These papers use matte black ink and no gloss enhancer, with the exception of Canvas Satin and Pearl papers, which use photo black and gloss enhancer. They all use high carriage position with high ink limits.
Film : Synthetic film-base materials that generally use photo black and no gloss enhancer, with relatively low ink limits and high carriage position.
Backlit : Synthetic translucent materials that use photo black and no gloss enhancer with high ink limits, high carriage position and starwheels up.
If you wish, use the Change Printing Properties button to change the following properties:
Paper Thickness : This is relevant to carriage height or platen gap. You should choose High if your paper weighs over 250 g/m² or if it does not have a plastic coating.
Dry Time : The recommendation is to use Automatic by default and move to Extended if needed.
Starwheels : Print with the starwheels up or down.
Cutter : Enable or disable the cutter.
Global Ink Limit : Initially it can be left as it is and modified later on, based on printing results.
Gloss Enhancer Amount : Initially it can be left as it is and modified later on, based on printing results.
When an option is grayed out, that means that it is not available for the selected paper type.
Some paper types are available with different ink limits (less/normal/more ink). Ink limits are generally proportional to color gamut volume, but a higher ink limit can cause printing artifacts (bleed, coalescence, etc.) in some cases. HP papers have fine-tuned ink limits while other papers use generic ink limits.
Load your custom paper, see Load a roll into the printerload paperroll into the printerroll paperload into the printerpaperload roll into printer or Load a single sheetload papersheetsheet paperloadpaperload sheet . You will find the paper name in the Custom paper category in the front panel.
Under Windows, select yes when asked to calibrate paper. Under Mac OS, select Paper Preset Management > Calibrate Paper . For more information on color calibration, see Color calibration .
You can print an image of your choice to check for color gamut, coalescence, mottle, bronzing and gloss uniformity. If the results are not satisfactory, you can change printing properties and launch another calibration. For instance:
For better color gamut, increase the ink limit or select a "more ink" variant of the same paper type if available.
To reduce coalescence, decrease the ink limit and/or the amount of gloss enhancer or select a "less ink" variant of the same paper if available.
To reduce bronzing or improve gloss uniformity, adjust the amount of gloss enhancer.
For more information, see the online help  in the Color Center.
With your final printing properties, you can now create an ICC profile for the paper using one of the following three options:
The standard process with the Color Center (see Color profiling ).
The HP Advanced Profiling Solution (supplied with your printer). For more information on the HP Advanced Profiling Solution, see its own documentation and also http://www.hp.com/go/z3200ps/solutions/ .
A third-party profiling program (see Color measurement ).
Once you have created and adjusted the ICC profile for your paper, you can link this profile to the paper preset with the Color Center: select Paper Preset Management > Install Profile . If you have used the standard Color Center profiling process, this step is not necessary because the profile is linked automatically to the paper preset.
For more information on the processes available in the Color Center, see A summary of the color management process .

Now that you have created the paper preset, you will be able to select the paper type from the front panel and from the driver under the Custom paper category. The ICC profile for the new paper type will be ready to use by your application.

You can export the new paper preset to your computer and use it on other HP Designjet Z3200 series printers. In the Color Center, select Paper Preset Management > Export Paper Preset , then follow the instructions on the screen. To install the preset on another printer, see To install a downloaded paper presetimport paper presetpaperdownload presets .
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

William Chitham

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 09:39:14 am »

Thanks for suggestions, and yes I know how to create a paper preset from scratch. What I am trying to do is shortcut the trial and error part of the process (which can be very time consuming) by making an informed guess at step one. As Mark points out there are a great many different paper types to choose from (I reckon there are about 12 that might be logical starting points for a heavyweight cotton based "gloss" paper such as this) and in my experience it is not always the obvious choices that work best, for instance, when profiling matte papers it is sometimes best to start with a gloss paper preset (incidently, is it just me or does everyone see the "gloss media - trim front edge?" message when they load Hahnemuele Photo Rag?). As it happens, in this case I used the IFA 09 preset as described and got a very nice result first time with an APS profile and since I have no immediate plans to use that paper I'm happy for now.

William.

Nora_nor

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 05:22:28 pm »

ah, you wonder if someone else has tried that paper on a HP before.
Well, HP says you have to try some different ones (those that come with the printer driver and firmware)

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 06:11:06 am »

Thanks for suggestions, and yes I know how to create a paper preset from scratch. What I am trying to do is shortcut the trial and error part of the process (which can be very time consuming) by making an informed guess at step one. As Mark points out there are a great many different paper types to choose from (I reckon there are about 12 that might be logical starting points for a heavyweight cotton based "gloss" paper such as this) and in my experience it is not always the obvious choices that work best, for instance, when profiling matte papers it is sometimes best to start with a gloss paper preset (incidently, is it just me or does everyone see the "gloss media - trim front edge?" message when they load Hahnemuele Photo Rag?). As it happens, in this case I used the IFA 09 preset as described and got a very nice result first time with an APS profile and since I have no immediate plans to use that paper I'm happy for now.

William.

There are many .OMS media presets for the Z3200 to download, from HP and media manufacturers. Add a custom profile after the media calibration with the installed media preset and assign that profile. You can add more custom ones based on a single HP default media preset, have them separately calibrated and keep them calibrated and add and assign individual ICC profiles to them , as explained already.  I would never use a gloss type media presets for matte papers but possibly only to reduce black ink scratching with for example two sided printing, the PK sinks in better. The incidental .OMS media-preset that asks for a gloss trim front edge is more likely an .OMS developer's bug and does not indicate PK ink use. Anyway for Photorag you can use HM's .OMS media preset for Photorag or use the HP HM Smooth Art paper media preset that is based on Photorag too. The HP HM Textured Art paper is based on William Turner.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

William Chitham

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 07:19:51 am »

You can add more custom ones based on a single HP default media preset, have them separately calibrated and keep them calibrated and add and assign individual ICC profiles to them

Right, all I'm saying is that it would be nice to be able to do the same with third party presets. The advantage of a .oms from a non HP paper manufacturer is that they have already done the hard work of optimising ink load etc. In the case in question there is no .oms specific to this paper available from the manufacturer and it is by no means obvious which of the many possible HP defaults would be the best starting point. When I telephoned them the advice from Innova was "use gloss or lustre as the starting point" - well that narrows it down to 8 candidates in HP's photo paper defaults and I don't have the time to try them all. However, Innova do provide a .oms for another paper in the range which has a very similar description. I quote:

IFA 45 (no .oms available): "Natural White 100% Cotton Fourdrinier Inkjet Art Paper with Smooth Glossy Surface and revolutionary Crystal Layer technology. Crystal Layer technology creates a barrier between the fibre base and the microporous glossy coating allowing the paper to maintain excellent sharp detail, an enhanced tonal range and an exceptional D-max rating"

IFA 09 (.oms available): "High White Fourdrinier Inkjet Art Paper with Smooth Glossy Surface and revolutionary Crystal Layer technology. Crystal Layer technology creates a barrier between the fibre base and the microporous glossy coating allowing the paper to maintain excellent sharp detail, an enhanced tonal range and an exceptional D-max rating."

So it seemed to me there's a good chance that the IFA09 preset would work well for IFA45 and lo and behold it does, and furthermore my guess is it will work better than a generic HP paper type.

So all I'm asking for is the option of using any .oms more than once in the same way you can with the HP ones, as Ernst points out.

William Chitham.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 08:44:54 am »

William,

Yes, this is not easy to solve. I would have selected an IFA19 media preset based on more similarities (no-OBA among them and both gloss) but it only gives two ICC printer profiles in download, no media preset data. I do not expect that there is a difference in ink (including GE amount) usable on the surfaces of IFA045 and IFA09 and doubt the paper manufacturers can address CMYK mixes in the media preset design more than a total ink limit. GE amount applied will be the same too I guess. You could ask Innovaart whether they can change the .OMS file name (and still keep the installation working) and add that .OMS to the downloads. Maybe a hack on that OMS file could even be done by qualified users.

Is the HP Baryta Satin Photo paper not usable as a HP default .OMS to start from? I have mainly HM papers and their OMS list is longer than Innovaart has so I have not used the HP Baryta .OMS either but with trials on HP Baryta Satin.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

William Chitham

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 10:30:14 am »

I would have selected an IFA19 media preset based on more similarities
Yes, that looks a good candidate but there is only an icc profile for that and no instruction as to what preset to use, curious I think. I will try again to get some more detailed advice from Innova,
Best Regards,
William.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 03:05:33 pm »

There is never a "silver bullet" especially when trying to optimize the inks and papers.  The Z3200ps has extraordinary capabilities, yet testing is required to really get at the heart of the right profile.  Just doing one's own profile on one's own machine is a step in the right direction, and with the choices that are available, it's like a box of chocolates sometimes.

I would not rule out doing a profile based on the Fine Art More Ink setting. 

Commercially available papers with Z Series printers

This specific quad ink setting is often surprising, and it can be dialed back.  If you're doing Black and white prints, this could be exceptional with that paper.

Again, testing and experimenting is key to optimization.  I would recommend trying this, and seeing how things come out in comparison to what you have. 

Custom Profile> Use Fine Art Paper (more ink) as the preset type.

Best wishes,

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

William Chitham

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 05:12:07 am »

I would not rule out doing a profile based on the Fine Art More Ink setting. ....This specific quad ink setting is often surprising, and it can be dialed back.  If you're doing Black and white prints, this could be exceptional with that paper....
Mark
Thanks Mark, quite agree about the quad black settings, I have used "Fine Art More Ink" as the basis for several successful matte paper settings. Not appropriate for the IFA45 though which has a gloss surface and needs the GE.

I must say, lack of manufacturer preset notwithstanding , I'm really happy with this paper.

Best regards,

William Chitham.
Pages: [1]   Go Up