Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the Epson HDR ink same as the VM K3 ink?  (Read 1741 times)

aaronchan

Is the Epson HDR ink same as the VM K3 ink?
« on: July 28, 2015, 12:54:53 am »

Hi all,

I'm wondering if the HDR ink is the same as the VM K3 ink. Of course I know the HDR has Green and Orange,
but I'm only talking about the rest of them. If not, would it be an advantage to use the HDR CMYKLcLmLkLlk on my 9880?
(But I assuming they are the same)

Thanks
Aaron

Some Guy

Re: Is the Epson HDR ink same as the VM K3 ink?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 10:23:46 am »

I got the Epson email ad this AM about the P800 17" that uses the new HDR ink.  Their claims are better longevity and a blacker black over the K3 inskset.  Might be packing the ink pigments even tighter than before, somewhat like the long-life of the Claria dye inks that protects them more from fading.  I know reading about Lyson's 3rd party Claria dye they claim 26 years verses Epson's claim of 96 years so who knows.

I'm curious then if the 3rd party sellers will begin to get the formula of the Epson K3 OEM inkset into their 3rd party sales if Epson's manufacturer sells that line off, or is no longer under a strict Epson-only license and moves into the HDR ink making and likely strict licensing?  My 3rd party trials just haven't been holding up well, some fading in sunlight in as little as a week outdoors verses the OEM ink.  Good for proof's though.

SG

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 11:16:20 am »

The new P series uses HD, not HDR. HDR is only in the x900 series (4900, 7900 and 9900).  The 3880 and x890 series use the K3 sets.
You can't use the Orange and Green in older models which makes it the HDR set in an older model (7880, 9800 etc).  The inks from the x890 series will not be usable in the x800/x880 series.

The rest of the HDR colors are the same as the K3, but the cartridge/chip will be different from the 3880 to the x890 series.

Hope this helps.

sgwrx

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 11:46:21 am »

compared to the K3 (3880 series) isn't the yellow reformulated in the newer ink sets?  if so, it'd be great to use that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up