Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Really Right Stuff Ball Head Alternative  (Read 6442 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Really Right Stuff Ball Head Alternative
« on: July 25, 2015, 04:37:51 pm »

I just got a Phase One body with a RRS L plate on it. Can anyone recommend a less expensive tripod head for it?
Mike

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Really Right Stuff Ball Head Alternative
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 05:20:35 pm »

You can use any head with an Arca style mount. There are quite a few from Manfrotto/Bogen or Gitzo that should work fine.

A used Arca B1 would be a great one also.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 05:41:50 pm »

I've had Arca and RRS ball heads.  I'm currently using a Sirui and I'm quite pleased with it.  I also saved quite a bit of money in the process.
Regards,
Ron

dwswager

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 09:30:54 pm »

I just got a Phase One body with a RRS L plate on it. Can anyone recommend a less expensive tripod head for it?
Mike

Sunwayfoto stuff is about 50% the price and about 85-90% the quality of RRS.  I'm still using an old Arca Swiss B1.

Colorado David

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 10:01:35 pm »

Kirk.

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 06:31:36 pm »

Also, your local camera shop or swap might have used heads for sale. And of course eBay has some. Or the forum sale board here? The ideal would be someone who is radically downsizing to a petite camera. Expect to pay $150.00 and up for a good quality full size ball head: Kirk, Markins, Arca-Swiss, RRS, Acratech, Foba, and others - Manfrotto heads are not as sturdy.

qwz

• http://vassiliev.net
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 09:40:53 pm »

Markins or Photoclam is very nice. Use Markins m10 for 4x5 and lesser formats for a few years.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 10:10:34 am »

I use a ball head from Acratech and have been perfectly happy with it for years. When not in use for photography, it is used for a rather heavy Swarowski spotting scope so I think it would be fine for your Phase One. Much more reasonable that the equivalent from Really Expensive ... er, I men Really Right Stuff.

Paul Wright

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 08:31:47 pm »

I've had Arca and RRS ball heads.  I'm currently using a Sirui and I'm quite pleased with it.  I also saved quite a bit of money in the process.
Sirui are making great stuff. I recently bought the Sirui L10 monopod head and while in the store checked out the range of Sirui ballheads. Initially skeptical, I was very quickly moved to admiration and then to WANTING. Last year I replaced three aging Manfrotto ballheads  (two different plate systems) with top of the line Induro heads. Twelve months in I'm not that impressed with the build quality and overall performance.

The guy at the store has been to the Sirui plant in China and told me that they had a now expired contract to manufacture a whole range of stuff for Kirk, and also made the carbon fibre legs for Gitzo. They're pretty strong clients! It was Sirui's choice to drop Kirk as they figured they could do more business on their own.

Finally, one of the stand-out features of the Sirui Arca-Swiss plate system is the cleverest security latch I have ever seen. OP, if there is a Sirui reseller in your city, at least check them out. It's Really Good Stuff.

-pw

Graham Clark

• grahamclarkphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 10:35:19 pm »

Mike

Hey Mike,

If you want the best tripod head money can currently buy, here it is:

http://amzn.to/1LmiUbe

As long as you don't lose it or get it stolen it'll outlast your next 10 cameras.

Graham

Graham Clark  |  grahamclarkphoto.com

shadowblade

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 12:46:54 am »

With a Phase One, I doubt you're shooting action - what about an Arca-Swiss C1 Cube? It's probably the best head on the market for non-action photography (unless you need a gimbal mount).
Pages: [1]   Go Up