Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Novoflex macro adapter  (Read 5094 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Novoflex macro adapter
« on: February 28, 2006, 01:14:57 am »

Hi Folks:

While I haven't (yet) purchased any of their equipment, every once in a while I drop by the Novoflex site to see what new stuff they've come up with.

While the idea of reverse-mounting a lens to a camera body for macro work has been around for a long time, the problem is that when you reverse mount the lens you sever all of the electronic connections.  Novoflex has an adapter for Canon EOS cameras that allows reverse mounting a lens to the camera body while maintaining those connections.

It's not exactly cheap - 279 euro (about $330 US or $378 Cdn) but it might be of use to someone.  If you're interested, go to: http://www.novoflex.com/english/html/products.htm and click on 'Macro Accessories'.

Mike.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 01:15:31 am by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

Lin Evans

• http://www.lin-evans.net
Novoflex macro adapter
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 11:44:58 am »

Hi Folks:

While I haven't (yet) purchased any of their equipment, every once in a while I drop by the Novoflex site to see what new stuff they've come up with.

While the idea of reverse-mounting a lens to a camera body for macro work has been around for a long time, the problem is that when you reverse mount the lens you sever all of the electronic connections.  Novoflex has an adapter for Canon EOS cameras that allows reverse mounting a lens to the camera body while maintaining those connections.

It's not exactly cheap - 279 euro (about $330 US or $378 Cdn) but it might be of use to someone.  If you're interested, go to: http://www.novoflex.com/english/html/products.htm and click on 'Macro Accessories'.

Mike.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59182\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Mike,

Novoflex has had this for quite a long time. It's actually designed to work best with only a few lenses - primarily the 28-105mm. I've used it for a number of years and though it would "seem" that having all the electronic features would be advantageous (autofocus, metering, etc.) it really is not as great an advantage for the macro shooter as you might imagine - at least in my experience. For example unless you are working off a tripod, having autofocus is not really such a great feature at extreme magnifications. I find I can do it better by simply moving the camera closer or further away rather than by attempting to hold it in exactly the correct position after autofocus locks. Then there is the issue of getting an autofocus lock at all with the low light and necessity of using flash in most real closeup situations. Perhaps other's have had better experience with this method, but my Novoflex adapter has been gathering lots of dust over the years.

I guess what I'm saying is that when one considers the cost/returns on the NovoFlex reversing ring it may not be as attractive for the macro shooter as it might seem on the surface.

Best regards,

Lin
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 11:46:20 am by Lin Evans »
Lin

macgyver

Novoflex macro adapter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 12:45:11 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this go agaisnt the basis of this sort of kludge solution?

If I had that money to spend on a reverse adaptor, couldnt I just put that toward a macro lens and stop holding my 75-300 backwards?

Lin Evans

• http://www.lin-evans.net
Novoflex macro adapter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 07:27:26 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this go agaisnt the basis of this sort of kludge solution?

If I had that money to spend on a reverse adaptor, couldnt I just put that toward a macro lens and stop holding my 75-300 backwards?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59390\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It really depends on what you are trying to do in the way of macro photography. If you are into extreme macros, the reversed lens with bellows, rails and extension tubes offers magnification you simply can't get with conventional macro lenses. About the best you can do with a conventional macro lens is 5:! which is a lot, but not nearly enough to fill the frame with the head of an ant - something which is a specialty with some photographers who have carried it to an art form. With the reversed lens, extension tubes, bellows and rails it's possible to actually double this and get 10:1 and still get decent images. If you get the chance sometime have a look at Charles Chien's macros done this way. Some of them are unbelievable.

Here's one Charles sent me a while back - this is the head of a tiny Golden Ant - less than 1/8th inch total length taken by Charles using these techniques.

Lin
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 07:34:19 pm by Lin Evans »
Lin

macgyver

Novoflex macro adapter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 10:01:54 pm »

I stand corrected!
Pages: [1]   Go Up