Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What should my next camera body be?  (Read 20122 times)

NancyP

Re: What should my next camera body be?
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 12:40:30 pm »

When compared with the T3i, you will see improved image quality with either the Canon 7D2 (very water resistant) or 6D (not as resistant). A good one-lens EF-S solution would be the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (for the f/2.8) or the EF-S 15-85 f/3.5-5/6 IS (for the extra two mm width , losing 2/3 stop with respect to the 17-55 f/2.8). Neither is water-resistant (no "L" grade sealing), so a rain sleeve should be used. A third Canon possibility would be the not-yet-released rumored SL2 compact lightweight SLR, assuming that it shares a sensor with the 7D2. But a caveat is that one never knows when or even if rumored models will be released. The 7D2 has some features you likely wouldn't need, like 10 frames per second burst shooting (for sports and fast moving wildlife).

Arlen

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 01:11:21 pm »

Since m4/3, and particularly Olympus, are a part of the discussion, I will add a couple of comments. I have the Olympus E-M1 and several Olympus lenses, and I love it. However, there is one thing about it that has disappointed me, and given that night-sky photography is one of your interests, it might disappoint you too. At progressively longer exposure times over about 30 seconds, the noise from the E-M1 sensor becomes increasingly extreme, even at base ISO, to the point that it can't reasonably be addressed in post processing. This is despite the fact that at shorter exposure times (< 30 Sec), the noise is quite reasonable and correctable in post, even at high ISO values. If you turn on the camera's option for Long Exposure Noise Reduction, then the long exposure results are much better and quite usable. However, LENR achieves this result by making a second "black frame" exposure equal to the time of your original exposure, during which time the camera is busy and you can't make another shot. So for example a 4 minute exposure ties up your camera for 8 minutes. I think this is acceptable if you only take occasional long exposures, but if you do it often, it becomes very frustrating.

If you search for E-M1 long exposure noise, you will find more information in user forums. I don't know if the E-M5 has the same issue, but I suspect it might.

dwswager

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 08:23:23 pm »

Hello everyone, I have been shooting landscape for about 3 years on a Canon T3i and a kit 18-55 lens. In the last 2 years was when I really started getting into it. I am ready to upgrade cameras but some things to take into consideration are that I do a lot of traveling, hiking, and backpacking so weight is a factor, and I want to get into shooting star trails and night landscapes so low-light is pretty important to me, as well as a body that is weather-resistant. My primary subject is still landscape photos. The cameras I was taking into consideration were the Pentax K-3/ii for the awesome features it offers landscape and travel photographers, the Fuji X-T1 because it's lightweight and small, or jumping into the fullframe game and getting a Canon 6D. Any help is greatly appreciated, and here is some of my work on my facebook page if you'd like to take a look: https://www.facebook.com/alexguerraphotography?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

I've been shooting the Nikon D810 and D7100.  They both have their benefits and drawbacks.  I shoot them both for everthing from landscape to sports at night.

First, if noise is a concern, then at similar pixel counts full frame wins.  The bigger the sensor photo sites, the more energy deposited, and the higher the signal.  All the noise suppression in the electronics in the world can't change that.  Physics wins.  Of course, the bigger the sensor, the bigger the cameras tend to be.

As to ruggedness/water tightness, in Nikon, those tend to be bigger and more expensive.  There is no doubt that the D810 is more rugged and sealed than the D7100.  Don't know some of the other brands, but that is generally how it works.  The D3x isn't $7000 because it takes better images, but because you can use like as a hammer and it will keep working.  I use a cheap Op/Tech camera condom in the rain and have never had an issue with any camera.  Shot the D300 for 5 years before the D7100.  Remember, you want rugged/sealed lenses too if that is going to be a big issue.

Based on your posts, you still have lots of work to do narrowing down to what type of camera you want before you pick a particular brand/model.  In Canon, yeah the 6D is probably a good bet.  The D7100/D7200 or D750 would be good bets in Nikon.  Maybe even the D610.

aguerra.1993

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 01:15:19 pm »

Yeah if I were just wanting to shoot landscape I would probably get the Pentax K-3ii, it seems like it is capable of grat quality, they make good lenses, and it isn't as expensive as many other options, as well as having features that I find would be great. I have no need for an in-camera flash, the GPS is a nice feature, pixel-shift, no AA filter, and quality lenses aren't as expensive as FF. The biggest reason I don't pull the trigger on the Pentax is low-light situations. Not to say the Pentax isn't capable of night photography, but if I am going to upgrade, I think I should get an upgrade that will improve all aspects of my photography and I really want to get into astrophotography. The Nikon d750 seems amazing but I don't think I'd be able to afford it anytime soon, not until next year at the earliest.

Anyone that owns a K-3/ii, how would you rate it for night photography? Is the noise acceptable at higher ISO? Would you be able to print a good quality 16x20 or possibly a little larger?

mecrox

• My Online Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2015, 04:48:35 pm »

Yeah if I were just wanting to shoot landscape I would probably get the Pentax K-3ii, it seems like it is capable of grat quality, they make good lenses, and it isn't as expensive as many other options, as well as having features that I find would be great. I have no need for an in-camera flash, the GPS is a nice feature, pixel-shift, no AA filter, and quality lenses aren't as expensive as FF. The biggest reason I don't pull the trigger on the Pentax is low-light situations. Not to say the Pentax isn't capable of night photography, but if I am going to upgrade, I think I should get an upgrade that will improve all aspects of my photography and I really want to get into astrophotography. The Nikon d750 seems amazing but I don't think I'd be able to afford it anytime soon, not until next year at the earliest.

Anyone that owns a K-3/ii, how would you rate it for night photography? Is the noise acceptable at higher ISO? Would you be able to print a good quality 16x20 or possibly a little larger?

A good place for further investigation would be Pentax forums where this and other stuff are covered in some detail. I'm sure folks there who could provide you with more information if you'd like.
Mark @ Flickr

sgwrx

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2015, 11:58:26 pm »

i came from a 10D to the 6D and love it. i've had zero experience with other cameras, but reviews and testing i felt the 6D is in the ballpark. two things that unexpectedly surprised me for the better is the switch to full frame - it is very different, even looking through the view finder especially with a wider angle lens like 17-40mm @ 17mm. 

the other surprisingly pleasant feature is the wifi.  a few times now i've sat in my car and connected my 7" tablet to the camera via wifi and looked at photos i just took.

i do have to take edge sharpness and CA into account more when i shoot due to it being a full frame, but it can be made better in post processing.

most of the downfalls of the 6D aren't really an issue for me aka, autofocus is less advanced and frames per second is definitely fast enough for the occasional auto race i might shoot.  i don't typically do any other sports.

aragdog

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2015, 12:13:09 pm »

Ok I will jump into this one.  Just returned from a trip and took the D810 and a couple of lens with me.  I also took the Fuji X-t1.  I have had it, had it.  I am getting old, knees and all and shoulders, worked out like boot camp with the Nikon stuff.  My next move is for the new Sony A7Rii it will fit the bill, light, light lens choices and also 4K.

Last time for the Nikon, sorry.
 :D :D :D :D

aguerra.1993

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 02:47:20 pm »

After a lot of reading and analyzing the pros and cons to the three cameras, I decided to go with the Fuji X-T1. The lightweight and small size really sold me for my travels, that and the fact that the kit lens is supposed to be really good quality. I'll also get the Rokinon 12mm f/2, which I read is quite a good lens at an affordable price, or possibly save up for the weather resistant Fuji 14mm f/2.8. The review that really convinced me was this one, where the camera is specifically reviewed for its performance shooting astrophotography.
http://www.lonelyspeck.com/fujifilm-x-t1-astrophotography-review/

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up